Far too many Canadians employed!!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The biggest job gains took place in business, building and other support trades along with retail and wholesale trade.

Jobs disappeared in professional, scientific and technical services, as well as in manufacturing and agriculture.

That is supposed to be good news?

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
The biggest job gains took place in business, building and other support trades along with retail and wholesale trade.

Jobs disappeared in professional, scientific and technical services, as well as in manufacturing and agriculture.

Perhaps not in the way you put it but better than no jobs at all.

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC

Yes it is, especially for those involved in business, building and other support trades along with retail and wholesale trade. Why take such a pessimistic viewpoint?

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Why are jobs bad? This won't affect interest rates....not yet anyways.
I cannot open the article but from your words I assume it speaks of rising interest rates. The B of C has already announced that rates will definitely rise before July. I believe they have also stated that it won't be much before that month but anyone who needs to should be paying attention because it will affect mtg. rates. Mtgs. are now re-newable without penalty 6 months in advance (at least in most banks).

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
The article says that Canadian economy has lost 280,000 jobs since the employment peak of 2008. This compares very favorably with USA, which has lost more than 8 million jobs.

I think the worst is now over. Unemployment is the lagging indicator of economic performance, usually it is the last one to recover. It is showing signs of recovering, both here and in USA. By spring we should know if the recovery is finally on the way (unemployment should start to drop by then).

However, the recovery is still fragile. Once it is on a firm footing, then it will be time to raise interest rates and worry about the deficit.