Americans arrested in Haiti over suspected illicit adoptions

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007

Police in Haiti have arrested 10 American citizens who were caught trying to take more than 30 children to the Dominican Republic in a suspected illicit adoption scheme.

Earlier this month, the Haitian capital was devastated by an earthquake that killed at least 150,000 people and left many more homeless and without food, including children.

Authorities say the group of Americans could not prove that they had cleared any adoptions or that the children had been orphaned because of the quake.

But one of the suspects, who says she is the leader of an American charity called New Life Children's Refuge, denies any wrong doing.

The Haitian social affairs minister, Yves Christallin, says two Haitians have also been arrested.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I have no doubt that they meant well, and I think it is only appropriate that the charges against them be dropped. However, they should have followed the proper procedure.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
I have no doubt that they meant well, and I think it is only appropriate that the charges against them be dropped. However, they should have followed the proper procedure.

I agree, I could not see anyone being that stupid to try and smuggle kids out of Haiti, especially Baptist missionaries at this point in time.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
They were trying to help....ignoring man's law in favour of a higher power....they most certainly dd not "steal" the children, but unstead offered them a chance at a better life....a point well understood and embraced by the childrens' parents, it seems.

Let them go. With the kids would be nice.........

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Them crazy Yanks, if there not back packing in Iran, there off smuggling childern out of Haiti.

I think it is only right and proper that charges against them should be dropped. However, what they did was wrong, and it really demonstrates the arrogant attitude on the part of some Americans, where they don’t really much bother about the laws of a particular country.

The hikers who crossed the border into Iran and got arrested are also part of the pattern. They were warned on the Iraq side, that they were close to the border and that they must be very careful not to cross the border into Iran.

They presumably ignored the injunction. After all, what was Iran going to do to them, they are Americans.

The same attitude was evident here; they presumably did not really care much about Haiti laws.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Anyone involved in international adoption knows that there are very strict rules, there's even a Hague Convention, to which Canada and the US are signatories. Because of the nature of it, things can easily be misunderstood and/or distorted.

While they may have had every good intention, showing up at the border with a whole bunch of kids and no paperwork is insanity. What the heck did they think was going to happen? Oh, we're good baptists, so you know we're just trying to help.

If these folks are lucky, they'll escape charges when they get back home, never mind what happens to them in Haiti.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Haitian parents unable to feed, cloth children handed them over to Baptist missionaries.

Did some jump to conclusions?

Haitian parents unable to feed, cloth children handed them over to Baptist missionaries - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com
The nerve of some people expecting Baptist missionaries to show up in a tent city with food and/or clothing.
Aren't missionaries supposed to live in the same places as they are 'helping', one of the goals is to preserve family ties not break them. Ask the Queen how important family is. Rather than take the children why not bring the aid to them and then the whole family can be educated via the new broadband connection.

If this had been operating before the quake then there might be people in Haiti that would verify that it was on the up-n-up. If people are 'missing' then it needs further investigation.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Why? They're yanks off course. We can do that. :lol:
So that explains why 2200 Yankee kids go missing daily.

If just 1% were sold off to slavery that is still 22 kids a day.

What is the street value of a Yankee kid slave Vs a Hatian kid slave?

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
Americans attempting to steal Haiti kids now formally charged. :lol:

U.S. missionaries charged with kidnapping in Haiti - CNN.com

Why? They're yanks off course. We can do that. :lol:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
They were trying to help....ignoring man's law in favour of a higher power....they most certainly dd not "steal" the children, but unstead offered them a chance at a better life....a point well understood and embraced by the childrens' parents, it seems.

Let them go. With the kids would be nice.........

I hope, before these children are allowed to travel any
further with these people, it is proven who these people
are , and also, they should fill out proper adoption
papers, same as everyone else, then allow them to proceed.

children are bought and sold all over this world, they have
to be careful, these are little human beings, not puppies.

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
No special treatment should be given to potential kidnappers, American or otherwise. Preying on the suffering of others, something Americans are imfamous for, is a moral crime in itself.
"these people" should be tried in a court of law "same as everyone else" and if found guilty of committing the crime as charged, tossed in a Haiti prison to rot for the rest of thier lives.

:canada:

I hope, before these children are allowed to travel any
further with these people, it is proven who these people
are , and also, they should fill out proper adoption
papers, same as everyone else, then allow them to proceed.

children are bought and sold all over this world, they have
to be careful, these are little human beings, not puppies.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Everyone knows the demand for quick and easy adoptions is high. It's also a business for those who can make it happen. In my view, these people had the good intentions to deliver kids to needy and good homes (much better than Haiti) however it's coming to light that some of these kids weren't orphaned. No matter where and under what circumstances, you can't just walk away someone else's kids.

Not sure where this is going but I wouldn't want to be doing years of prison time in Haiti. What a nightmare that would be.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Everyone knows the demand for quick and easy adoptions is high. It's also a business for those who can make it happen. In my view, these people had the good intentions to deliver kids to needy and good homes (much better than Haiti) however it's coming to light that some of these kids weren't orphaned. No matter where and under what circumstances, you can't just walk away someone else's kids.

Not sure where this is going but I wouldn't want to be doing years of prison time in Haiti. What a nightmare that would be.

Those that were not actually orphans were (according to a front page Globe and Mail article yesterday) surrendered by their parents in the hope they would have a better life........

Now those hopes are dashed.