Pieing politicians, Should it be called assault?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
smack me in the face with a pie plate (usually attached to a hand) because you're mad at me, and yes, I'd charge your ass with assault. I've seen some differences between delivery when it comes to pieing... a lightly slapped pie versus one thrust up into a face hard with the heel of a hand. It has a potential for a pretty hard drive to your face.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Were I a politician I would prefer that a person that pied me not be charged.......as long as I was quick enough to get my hands on the SOB and slap some of his teeth down his throat.

Otherwise.....

Of course it is assault.........and of course they should be charged. The price of playing the game........

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Calling it Terrorism is a bit over the wall but I don't think anyone should have to put up with this nonsense. A couple weeks in jail would likely send an effective message to other prospective pie wielders.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Calling it Terrorism is a bit over the wall but I don't think anyone should have to put up with this nonsense. A couple weeks in jail would likely send an effective message to other prospective pie wielders.

Calling it terrorism is wayyyyyyy "over the wall", and a couple of weeks in jail, with a year's probation after sounds fair to me.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Oh... that's a WHOLE other topic juan... the question there is, can groups like PETA be called terrorist groups....

"When someone actually coaches or conducts criminal behaviour to impose a political agenda on each and every other citizen of Canada, that does seem to me to meet the test of a terrorist organization," the member from Newfoundland and Labrador said in an interview from Ottawa with radio station VOCM in St. John's, N.L.
"I am calling on the Government of Canada to actually investigate whether or not this organization, PETA, is acting as a terrorist organization under the test that exists under Canadian law."

... if an individual gets disgruntled and targets someone, that's one thing... that's assault. But, if an organization is going to set out to encourage assault against individual politicians and attempt to strong arm and intimidate in order to have its political agenda met, then I think bringing up words like terrorism IS quite suitable.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Were I a politician I would prefer that a person that pied me not be charged.......as long as I was quick enough to get my hands on the SOB and slap some of his teeth down his throat.

Otherwise.....

Of course it is assault.........and of course they should be charged. The price of playing the game........

There's a pie with your number on it buddy.:smile:

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Oh... that's a WHOLE other topic juan... the question there is, can groups like PETA be called terrorist groups....

"When someone actually coaches or conducts criminal behaviour to impose a political agenda on each and every other citizen of Canada, that does seem to me to meet the test of a terrorist organization," the member from Newfoundland and Labrador said in an interview from Ottawa with radio station VOCM in St. John's, N.L.
"I am calling on the Government of Canada to actually investigate whether or not this organization, PETA, is acting as a terrorist organization under the test that exists under Canadian law."

... if an individual gets disgruntled and targets someone, that's one thing... that's assault. But, if an organization is going to set out to encourage assault against individual politicians and attempt to strong arm and intimidate in order to have its political agenda met, then I think bringing up words like terrorism IS quite suitable.

Only is someone is "terrified" of getting a pie in the face.........

To classify PETA as terrorist........well, along with being ridiculous, I think it would grant the organization some undeserved weight....

IMHO, "terrorism" has to cause TERROR......a reasonable fear of mass death.....not of coconut cream....

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
civil disobedience is sometimes necessary ...Internet makes it more passive...but not as effective..Free publicity when you can't afford a commercial..

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
Please correct me if I'm wrong,but isn't the pie,er from New york? Was she not arrested last year for some sort of seal related terrorism on PEI? If so,if she is from NY and was in fact arrested in Canada last year,what was she doing at that meeting/rally?I thought "they" were s'posed to make it harder for criminals to get accross the border?

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Yah, assault. fer sure. Leave it to PETA. A bit of an extremist bunch.

I've never seen ol Jean take the pie in the eye, but, it could have just as easily been a gun or a knife. One pays for crowd-minglin.

:canada:

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
PETA are a bunch of idiots and have been violent on numerous occasions before. Therefore I'm all for calling them terrorists.