Information on Haiti

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I was just googling Haiti trying to get more information. All the news on C.N.N. (that I've seen so far) is centred on Port Au Prince. When I checked the geography, Haiti has four other cities in excess of 100,000- two of them in the 400,000 range and several other smaller cities. Were these cities also badly damaged? You get the impression from watching C.N.N. that there is absolutely no capable help from else where in the country. Is there nothing in the way of cranes or excavators anywhere in the country? Or do the news agencies just want to concentrate on the blood, guts and gore as much as possible. Are we getting balanced news coverage?

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
The Epicenter was just outside of Port Au Prince...so that would be the most
ratings worthy footage for news stations, I guess.

If the Ports and Roads are (more or less) impassable, maybe the equipment
from other cities in Haiti just aren't getting through, or maybe the resources
just aren't there to spare from these other cities? I'm just guessing here....

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I was just googling Haiti trying to get more information. All the news on C.N.N. (that I've seen so far) is centred on Port Au Prince. When I checked the geography, Haiti has four other cities in excess of 100,000- two of them in the 400,000 range and several other smaller cities. Were these cities also badly damaged? You get the impression from watching C.N.N. that there is absolutely no capable help from else where in the country. Is there nothing in the way of cranes or excavators anywhere in the country? Or do the news agencies just want to concentrate on the blood, guts and gore as much as possible. Are we getting balanced news coverage?

Really good questions, JLM. You would think by now that one of those TV crews would have a chopper in the air. Maybe they are restricted to certain areas by the folks in charge of the relief effort? Maybe airspace is restricted?

Think I'll check out a few of the foreign dailies to see what their reporters are saying. Wish I still had the BBC channel.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Uhm...That link is almost two years old...and has nothing to do with
the Earthquake from a couple of days back. I first read that story
when researching Bio-diesel long ago...

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Pat Robertson said that this is the work of the devil which the Haiti people made a deal with and Rush Limbaugh that the US government is sending Taxpayer money to that country because the Presedent Obama wants to help them because they are black.
I don't know why these snakes like to crawl out from under the rocks and spew garbage.

This is the worst tragedy in history where the death toll is estimated of being over 200,000 people.

They need help now because we never know if this won't happen here and we might need help.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Uhm...That link is almost two years old...and has nothing to do with
the Earthquake from a couple of days back. I first read that story
when researching Bio-diesel long ago...

Uh yes, I apologize. But it still is an indication of the kind people we are dealing with there.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
irrespective of how you mistrust the u.s. or any democratic
nation in the west, when they arrive in many foreign
countries to give aid and help, many times, they are restricted to
only certain areas, and that is it, they have to obey
those rules.
So, we don't really know the facts on the ground, but we
do know that aid is arriving there and will continue to
arrive.
The u.s. is the largest giver of aid in the world, far
more than all others.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
So they say. Disaster capitalism comes to mind. Watch the shells, where do the peas go? Does Hati have any strategic importance? I wonder what else will happen in the world while Hati writhes in agony. Per-capita the Americans are not big aid givers dispite the myths surrounding their benevolence.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Uh yes, I apologize. But it still is an indication of the kind people we are dealing with there.

These poor buggers where/are living on a buck or two per day, and at the
time that your link was written, biodiesel was being blamed for a sharp
increase in food prices almost everywhere....and all of a sudden, many
that could barely afford to feed themselves, couldn't any longer. Sad.

Foodstuffs (grains, corn, sugarcane, etc...) where being utilized from
food to biodiesel manufacturing, creating a shortage and an increase
in food prices. Folks where literally starving 'cuz their buck or two per day
wouldn't feed them any longer.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
So they say. Disaster capitalism comes to mind. Watch the shells, where do the peas go? Does Hati have any strategic importance? I wonder what else will happen in the world while Hati writhes in agony. Per-capita the Americans are not big aid givers dispite the myths surrounding their benevolence.

Per capita? How 'bout for sheer volume of $$$ and supplies and such...per nation?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
irrespective of how you mistrust the u.s. or any democratic
nation in the west, when they arrive in many foreign
countries to give aid and help, many times, they are restricted to
only certain areas, and that is it, they have to obey
those rules.
So, we don't really know the facts on the ground, but we
do know that aid is arriving there and will continue to
arrive.
The u.s. is the largest giver of aid in the world, far
more than all others.

Like you I also get tired of the incessant U.S. bashing. It would be good if we could see the contributions made by the bashers.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Per capita? How 'bout for sheer volume of $$$ and supplies and such...per nation?

Think about New Awlweens, what help, and they were Americans. Where does the material come from? The lord takith with the right hand and givith with the left. I gaurantee you more money has already been spent on hypeing the western response to the tragidy, in the media, than will ever reach the Hatians. Stories about aid are just as good as real aid when you own the press.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Think about New Awlweens, what help, and they were Americans. Where does the material come from? The lord takith with the right hand and givith with the left. I gaurantee you more money has already been spent on hypeing the western response to the tragidy, in the media, than will ever reach the Hatians. Stories about aid are just as good as real aid when you own the press.

What about New Orleans....did some other country contribute more aid and $$$ &
such to that disaster than the Americans?