Vanoc selling "authentic" Aboriginal goods

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
What a bunch of sleazy jerks. Vanoc has a pile of merchandise labelled as "authentic" native goods in shops and the stuff isn't authentic nor is it even native.

"Here's a case in point," Jackson said, pointing to a plastic luggage tag decorated with an aboriginal salmon design and bearing the official Olympic trademarks. It's identified as an "aboriginal luggage tag" and on the back, it says it was designed by VANOC — the Vancouver Olympic organizing committee — and made in China.
CBC News - British Columbia - Native artisan raps VANOC's 'authentic' aboriginal art

What a bunch of pirating, rip-off artists. I wonder if that's license for anyone to sell goods with the 2010 Olympic logo and stuff on them.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Kind of similar to authentic Niagara souveniers, authentic Toronto souveniers, authentic Vancouver souvrniers, etc. all made in China.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Kinda proves that the Olympics are more about merchandising than about sports. I am hoping that the Olympic venues all become washed out. What a con game for the rich to fleece the poor.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
shake those rich foreigners, squeeze every nickel and penny out of them at all costs, and from the sounds of things all denominations will be accepted... yen, euro, green back, peso, ruble....

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
Kinda proves that the Olympics are more about merchandising than about sports. I am hoping that the Olympic venues all become washed out. What a con game for the rich to fleece the poor.

Someone in charge of the Olympics should really have their feet held to the fire over this one. With the amount of taxpayers' money going into the funding of this thing, there is zero reason to be sourcing stuff like this from outside the country. Unless of course, we no longer have the capability anywhere in Canada to produce these kinds of things.

But, assuming we do (somewhere, I hope!), then somebody screwed up royally when writing the rules on product sourcing, big-time.

They couldn't possibly have thought that it would be an "open tender" thing (best price/cost wins) on this kind of thing...that would work if it's purely a business decision, but again, "we" (taxpayers) are quite involved in this, and we should be making some serious noise about it. I mean, just who in the hell do they think we'd be "competing with" in the souvenir biz? If it's an officially licenced souvenir, then they should/would have the right to make Canadian-made a condition of the licence use.

Unfortunately, it's too late to do anything about this one. But it's still a royal screw-up...

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
If I want an authentic German BMW motorcycle, I don't want a Chinese knockoff with a BMW emblem on it.

A brand new 1981 BMW Motorcycle (but made in 2009 in China) that needs
many upgrades to be legal in Canada (wiring, exhaust, lights upgraded) with
shipping for about $7,000 or so....Hmmmm....tempting. It would have to be
shipped in at least two pieces so that it could be assembled (final assembly)
in Canada (maybe motor out, and a rolling chassis?) to skirt some laws, and
the assembled bike could be registered as a Home-Built. I almost was involved
in shipping several (a container load) of these in a couple of years ago....;-)

Whomever buys it would have to mount the engine (a few bolts) themselves, to
have this as a Home-Built Bike. Avoids much red tape.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
"Kinda proves that the Olympics are more about merchandising than about sports. I am hoping that the Olympic venues all become washed out. What a con game for the rich to fleece the poor."

At least the Winter Olympics, which is nothing but the Northern, rich rubbing it in to the Winterless people: We are better than you, we can do this, screw you!

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Can you people please stick to the topic? I don't care if the winter Olys is countries with winters thumbing their noses at those that don't have winters and the BMW thing was an analogy of my point.

And I do care that Vanoc is a group of pompous jackasses usurping other people's cultures to make a name and some pocket padding for themselves.
As I mentioned and CB added to, these fµcking buttheads should be at least selling Canadian built knicknacks.

Here's the Globe & Mail opinion piece on it along with replies: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...er-authenticity-of-handcrafts/article1430559/

Last edited:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
....these fµcking buttheads should be at least selling Canadian built knicknacks.
But I thought they were supposed to be authentic.... ripping off the natives and having the Chinese mass produce crap for us.... it doesn't get more 'authentically Canadian' than that Anna. :lol:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
But I thought they were supposed to be authentic.... ripping off the natives and having the Chinese mass produce crap for us.... it doesn't get more 'authentically Canadian' than that Anna. :lol:
Yup! Just ask the Mounties. They gave their contract to Dizzyland who had them made in China, what, 2 decades ago or more?