China, first gay beauty pageant

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
[SIZE=+1][/SIZE]

China will be witnessing its first gay beauty pageant Friday, an organiser said, adding 'the gay community is here and it's healthy, sexy, trendy'.

Gayographic, Beijing's only gay PR and event management company, will be organising the landmark pageant that will be held Friday evening.

'We hope to send out a message to the Chinese public that the gay community is here and it's healthy, sexy, trendy,' the China Daily quoted Ben Zhang, co-founder and managing director of Gayographic, as saying Monday.

Twentysix-year-old Emilio Liu said: 'When Ben first asked me about (the pageant) I accepted as a joke.

'I accepted because I never thought something like this would happen in China.'

Zhang said the eight finalists were from all over China.

'Six are based in Beijing, but none are from Beijing.

'We've got contestants from Inner Mongolia, Xinjiang, Chongqing, Tianjin, Chengdu, Liaoning, and Harbin.'

The winner will compete in the final competition in Oslo, Norway in February.

There will be a panel of five judges for the competition, and Zhang said they are men, women, gay, straight and 'represent all walks of life and a little bit of local flavour'.

Contestant Steven Zhang, 30, said his father does not know that his son his gay. 'I think this will out me,' he admitted, 'whether I like it or not.'

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Go see one and find out. I doubt you'll find anything more humourous and entertaining.

Elton John made a fortune doing drag and singing. Without the drag I doubt he would have succeded.
Well, he is pretty talented at writing songs and playing the pianny. A lot of people started liking his stuff long before finding out he was gay. Perhaps Liberace would have been a better example. Or Queen.

But the usual thing to do if one is curious about an event is to go check it out, yes. lol

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
:canada: What will you be wearing, China? Pearls, pumps, speedo, crotchless panties?
Do tell.
lol Haute Couture.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Well, he is pretty talented at writing songs and playing the pianny. A lot of people started liking his stuff long before finding out he was gay. Perhaps Liberace would have been a better example. Or Queen.

But the usual thing to do if one is curious about an event is to go check it out, yes. lol
They were too naive to realize he is gay.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

I thought Elton John was openly, brazenly, gay from day one. Liberace was the point scource for 95 percent of the jokes about stereotypical gay males....the way they acted, the way they talked with a lisp.......etc.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
They were too naive to realize he is gay.
lol Probably. Likely a lot of people only listened to the radio and heard him pop out hit after hit without seeing him, too.
Personally I don't care what someone's lifestyle preference is. There's an awful lot of untalented people with lots of fame, too. I'll stick with enjoying talented people regardless of their lifestyles.
I like good piano playing and EJ is a good player along with Billy Joel, Liberace, Vlad Horowitz, Sergei Rachmaninoff, Keith Emerson, Richard Wright, etc. :) And I also like good writers.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I thought Elton John was openly, brazenly, gay from day one. Liberace was the point scource for 95 percent of the jokes about stereotypical gay males....the way they acted, the way they talked with a lisp.......etc.
No doubt there are a lot of people that thought similarly to you. :)

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
There are things that China can learn from the West, and things they should learn to avoid. This is amongst the latter. Homosexual affirmation and any characterisation of homosexuality as normal, or anything but what it really is, a deep moral pathology that afflicts individuals and societies.. will put it into the same looming societal chaos the West is facing.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
There are things that China can learn from the West, and things they should learn to avoid. This is amongst the latter. Homosexual affirmation and any characterisation of homosexuality as normal, or anything but what it really is, a deep moral pathology that afflicts individuals and societies.. will put it into the same looming societal chaos the West is facing.
roflmao
You seem crabby today. Your boyfriend is away for a while?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
lol Probably. Likely a lot of people only listened to the radio and heard him pop out hit after hit without seeing him, too.
Personally I don't care what someone's lifestyle preference is. There's an awful lot of untalented people with lots of fame, too. I'll stick with enjoying talented people regardless of their lifestyles.
I like good piano playing and EJ is a good player along with Billy Joel, Liberace, Vlad Horowitz, Sergei Rachmaninoff, Keith Emerson, Richard Wright, etc. :) And I also like good writers.
The first drag show I had ever seen was one my brother was in so it was an exceptional experience.

Thanks to myself, my wife, my mom and friends cheering it won him first prize of $500.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Maybe they should hide them all in the church so God can cure them?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
The first drag show I had ever seen was one my brother was in so it was an exceptional experience.

Thanks to myself, my wife, my mom and friends cheering it won him first prize of $500.
Awesome! I dress in drag sometimes, too. Jeans, plaid shirt, baseball cap, and boots. :D

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto

Wouldn't it be a good thing, think of the population reduction.