U.S. A-G defends Senator over racial remark

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
WASHINGTON – Eric Holder, the nation's first black attorney general, defended Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid on Monday over racial remarks the senator made about Barack Obama during the 2008 presidential campaign.
Holder told The Associated Press that Reid is a good man, and as Holder put it: "I don't think that there is a prejudiced bone in his body."
Reid apologized to Obama and a handful of black political leaders after a new book reported he was favourably impressed by Obama during the campaign and, in a private conversation, described the Illinois senator as a light-skinned African-American "with no Negro dialect, unless he wanted to have one."
Holder told The AP that the remark "is unfortunate but I don't think that there is a prejudiced bone in his body."
The attorney general quickly added that he thought the remark was unfortunate "in the sense that it's created this controversy and raised questions about a man I don't have any doubts about myself."
Read the rest here

What a joke this is, if Reid had been a Republican would the Dems be letting him off the hook?

No frickin way.:roll:

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Seems pretty trivial. I think Reid said what a lot of people had on their minds... what would it take for a black to break through at the Presidential level. The answer of course is someone who the majority white population felt some cultural affinity and trust. That's not racist.. at least its not bigoted.

The race card is now played by both parties, and it really has no resonance unless it refers to bigotry.. not an acknowledgement that there are socio-economic differences between electoral demographics of different origins. Which is obvious.. always has been.. and always will be.