Tory MP derides jobless as 'no-good bastards'

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
OTTAWA–Comments by Conservative MPs deriding homeless people and describing abortion as a procedure that makes women more available to men demonstrate the party's true colours, opposition critics say.
Nova Scotia Conservative MP Gerald Keddy has apologized for describing unemployed Nova Scotians as "those no-good bastards sitting on the sidewalk in Halifax that can't get work."
There has been no such apology from Saskatchewan MP Maurice Vellacott for his unflattering depiction of women seeking abortions, which also applauded Saskatoon doctors for restricting access to abortion services.
"Pro-life feminists have ... come to see abortion as part of a male agenda to have women more sexually available," said the controversial MP in an anti-abortion news release sent out Nov. 20.
Vellacott just this week had to apologize for a flyer wrongly accusing Nova Scotia NDP MP Peter Stoffer of supporting the long-gun registry.
Nova Scotia Liberal MP Scott Brison said Keddy's remarks reflect the kind of mean-spirited attitude that Canadians have come to expect from the Conservative government.
"This is from a Conservative party under Stephen Harper that has referred to Atlantic Canadians as being defeatist," he told reporters.
"This Conservative party has a deep vein of meanness to it. It's a party that kicks people when they are down," he said.
Winnipeg Liberal MP Anita Neville said Vellacott has proven time and again that he has a "very right-wing, somewhat Neanderthal agenda."
"It's an insult to women in this country," Neville said. "It gives me great fear should they ever have a majority government," she told reporters.

Toronto Star

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
"It's an insult to women in this country," Neville said. "It gives me great fear should they ever have a majority government," she told reporters.
....and governments in general are an insult to everyone.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
He is just imitating his Messiah, Avro. Harper claimed a few years ago that Maritimers are lazy. So why shouldn’t one of his MPs also claim it.

There are plenty of hatemongers in the Conservative party. So far Harper has kept a tight muzzle on them. If now they start spouting off at the mouth, it cannot be good for the Conservative Party.

I remember for a long time, these hatemongers (Randy White, Cheryl Gallant, just to name two) kept conservative popularity quite low. After Harper muzzled them, prohibited them from opening their yap, he had some success with Canadian voters. If now he is going to loosen his grip and let them shoot off their mouth, well all I say is that it cannot be good for this party.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
He is just imitating his Messiah, Avro. Harper claimed a few years ago that Maritimers are lazy. So why shouldn’t one of his MPs also claim it.

There are plenty of hatemongers in the Conservative party. So far Harper has kept a tight muzzle on them. If now they start spouting off at the mouth, it cannot be good for the Conservative Party.

I remember for a long time, these hatemongers (Randy White, Cheryl Gallant, just to name two) kept conservative popularity quite low. After Harper muzzled them, prohibited them from opening their yap, he had some success with Canadian voters. If now he is going to loosen his grip and let them shoot off their mouth, well all I say is that it cannot be good for this party.

It will however, be good for Canada.

big

Time Out
Oct 15, 2009
Quebec
Nova Scotia Conservative MP Gerald Keddy has apologized for describing unemployed Nova Scotians as "those no-good bastards sitting on the sidewalk in Halifax that can't get work."

To abuse power, one has to first: keep the mass busy (i.e. make the people look the other way).

Last edited:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009

And there's a hate-monger right here in CC. He promotes hatred for Cons, Reps, right-wingers, "lifers", the blind, blacks, etc. Guess who it would be. :D

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

Considering that 6 months ago, when we were hiring for our Dartmouth office, we had a terrible time finding anyone interested in working, I'd tend to agree with Kedy; those who are unemployed are, for the most part, doing so by choice.

It's certainly not easy to find anyone to hire.

big

Time Out
Oct 15, 2009
Quebec
Considering that 6 months ago, when we were hiring for our Dartmouth office, we had a terrible time finding anyone interested in working, I'd tend to agree with Kedy; those who are unemployed are, for the most part, doing so by choice.

There is a reason why welfare is called welfare!?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Quoting TenPenny
Your absolutely right $500 a month gives you oh so much freedom to do as you please living like a king. You even have enough free time to sit around downtown Halifax which we all know is THEE place to be if you are rich and living the good life.

If I had free time I'd be downtown Halifax just watching the world go by too.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
...those who are unemployed are, for the most part, doing so by choice.

It's certainly not easy to find anyone to hire.

He wasn't even saying 'the jobless', he was talking about panhandlers. 'People with no jobs sitting on the sidewalk'.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I knew a panhandler years ago, who described his trade as 'panhandling'.

"Cornelius is my name, my good man, and I'm a panhandler by trade..." would be a direct quote. He was an interesting guy, if a little mentally unstable. But harmless enough, and well educated; he could recite most of Hamlet or MacBeth at the drop of a hat (but he'd expect you to pay him for it, he was, after all, a panhandler).

big

Time Out
Oct 15, 2009
Quebec
Your absolutely right $500 a month gives you oh so much freedom to do as you please living like a king. You even have enough free time to sit around downtown Halifax which we all know is THEE place to be if you are rich and living the good life.

If I had free time I'd be downtown Halifax just watching the world go by too.

Downtown Halifax is not exactly a tax heaven.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Sure, it's easier to deal with something you know about. In any given office, you'll find people with mental problems.
Of course, 1 in 10 people have mental health issues but only 1% of that 10% are aware of it and do something about it.

That means 3.2 Million nut jobs live and work freely amongst us and apparently they seem to like downtown Halifax.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
No, the ones who like downtown Halifax aren't the ones who 'work' amongst us; that's what started this whole thing!
But I thought you said panhandling was a job? Back in the day there were massive places with names like "Valley View" for these people to hang out and smoke each other's cigarette butts. Funding was cut and we were convinced that we could integrate these people.

Now that they are integrated and self medicating in downtown Halifax what solutions are there?

Fund the cops and prisons or fund the health care programs? Was integration the answer? It would seem all it has done is enhanced the street crime to new and bizarre levels.

Last edited: