Lou Dobbs..Quit or Fired From CNN??

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
*in all likelyhood FIRED for telling it as it is*

October 06, 2009
Lou Dobbs
I've laid out my view clearly on why it's time to begin withdrawing our troops from Afghanistan and Iraq, and also from their stations and bases around the world. But in case you missed it, please listen to my comments on why I hope you will join me in bringing our troops home.

Eight years into the war in Afghanistan, our top military leadership has yet to define clearly what victory and success will look like, nor has it identified the goals and objectives of the conflict. Like you, I've been thinking about the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan for a long time. I've decided that it's time to bring our troops home. I hope you will join me in that effort.

I am disgusted with what is happening with General McChrystal, General Petraeus and the general staff of the Pentagon, President Obama, this administration, and the previous administration have been waging war in Afghanistan for eight years. I am upset that the White House has chosen not to consider withdrawing our troops from Afghanistan while our generals don't have a strategy for victory.

What happened? In the Bush administration we began to tolerate failure on the part of our general staff. We began to tolerate excuses on the part of the general staff. And it¹s being continued under this administration. I¹ve heard people say this president now owns the war in Afghanistan, that this President owns the war in Iraq. You know what, that's not true: You and I own the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. You and I are responsible for every single man and woman in uniform who is serving there and around the world.

And I have a proposition for President Obama: You say you will not consider withdrawing our troops from Afghanistan, so here is my proposition, Mr.
President: Given that we have not succeeded under the leadership of the general staff for eight years in Afghanistan, eight years of combat, why not re-evaluate what we are doing with our troops worldwide, not just Afghanistan?

For the sake of our men and women in uniform who deserve far better leadership than they are receiving from their general staff, please bring them home. It is time to call a halt to the nonsense, bring home our troops, and not just from Iraq and Afghanistan, but the 60,000 troops in Germany, 37,000 in South Korea, 10,000 in Japan, 10,000 troops in Italy.

Bring all of our troops home, and leave only a modest presence wherever it might be proven absolutely necessary, but bring home our troops. And let our allies carry their own share of the burden, put their military forward against whatever enemy is perceived, potential or existent, and let's work as mature responsible partners in these alliances, rather than the United States as some sort of senior partner, some sort of big brother who carries most of the burden, nearly all of the financial sacrifice, and in Iraq and Afghanistan, the overwhelming sacrifice of blood from the brave men and women who serve this nation in uniform.

It is time, Mr. President, this is your opportunity, this is the nation's opportunity, and it's your responsibility as Commander-in-Chief. I hope you'll consider it seriously, and I hope each and everyone in Independent America will think about this call for reason. I don¹t believe there is a more urgent issue today.

Join me and sign this petition, for the good of the nation.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
No doubt he was fired for the above...

At least he finally came to the right conclusion... For him it was about senseless sacrifice.

Interestingly I found this from 2006:

Dobbs: Our leaders are ducking reality on Iraq
December 6, 2006

...Nearly 3,000 of our troops have been killed since the beginning of the war in Iraq; all but 139 of them after President Bush stood below a banner declaring "Mission Accomplished." More than 21,000 troops have been wounded, and of those about 10,000 of were so seriously wounded they could not return to duty within three days.

The Pentagon is considering a request of at least $127 billion in new spending, most of which would be to support the war in Iraq. That request would be in addition to the $70 billion already allocated for next year, bringing the total allocation for the wars in Iraq, Afghanistan and anti-terror efforts to almost a half-trillion dollars.

Not only was this administration wrong in declaring Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction, but it was also wildly wrong in its original estimate on the cost of the war. Then-White House economic adviser Lawrence Lindsey put the cost at $100 billion to $200 billion. Mitch Daniels, then the director of the Office of Management and Budget, discounted Lindsey's estimate as far too high and said the cost would be between $50 billion and $60 billion....

Dobbs: Our leaders are ducking reality on Iraq - CNN.com
He's been probably biting his tongue a lot and finally couldn't take it anymore. But back in 2003 he said this:

Bush's decision on Saddam
As America stands on the brink of war, Lou Dobbs salutes President Bush for his consistency.

March 17, 2003: 7:59 PM EST
By Lou Dobbs

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - We've reached a moment of decision for the president. It was four months ago that the Security Council approved U.N. Resolution 1441 that demanded the disarmament of Saddam Hussein's Iraq.

Even though it was four months ago, that resolution called upon Iraq to disarm immediately, not in days or weeks, nor certainly months, or face grave consequences.

Grave consequences are now at hand, and those consequences are directly and solely the responsibility of Saddam Hussein, and to a lesser degree the governments of France and Germany, which in their pathetic political posturing, have given Saddam Hussein every reason to believe he will not be held accountable, that he would not have to disarm or go into exile...

Bush's decision on Saddam - Mar. 17, 2003
At least he finally figured it out he was wrong.

BTW, I also have sympathy for all of Bush's victims, including Americans.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
If Lou was fired then indeed the world is in a sorry state. People have obviously quit liking the truth..................Lou told it. MY OPINION ONLY

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I suspect it was solely his decision and that we'll see him resurface in the coming months in a bid for congress.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Lou Dobbs kept the ratings high at CNN because controversy sells and draws the most viewers.

Like Oprah who quit her show to start her own network.

I have a feeling that Lou Dobbs will have his own network on the internet so for Lou this is the beginning

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
There's little doubt in my mind that Lou Dobbs was fired.

He has been a thorn in the side of the presiding neo conservative economic agenda (read that classic liberal and libertarian economics).. and it is that more than anything else that rankled the corporate oligarchy in America. Economic nationalism, managed trade, sovereign control of country's currency and credit.. these are all anathemas to the Wall Street skumbags who run America now.

Afghanistan, for all its pain and apparent futility, is a sideshow to the main event in American society now, which is the debasement of its sovereignty and economic independence, to global financial interests, and it is that which doomed his show.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Fired or quit. What difference does it really make? He was on a network that is a joke anyway.
He DID speak the truth. Seems like censorship to be.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I think Lou Dobbs himself has categorically denied that he was fired. He has said that he and CNN parted amicably. I take him at his word.

No doubt his relationship with CNN was getting uncomfortable as of late, and perhaps it was time for him to go. But if he says that he parted amicably, I take him at his word.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
MSNBC had a report on racist Dobbs tonight. It showed how he said over 7,000 cases of leprosy have been reported in the USA (this was 2 years ago) and that all are attributable to the influx of illegal immgrants. Dobbs' story was a complete fabrication. When taken to task for it, he promptly said his report was accurate.

Dan Rather was fired but far right Glen Beck and Lou Dobbs are allowed to keep their jobs. As always, libs demand accountability from their own. The far right never does.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Lou Dobbs says he doesn't feel like he was pushed out of CNN, the news organization where he worked for all but two years of its existence until last Wednesday.

"Not at all," he said in a weekend interview. "I don't know if people will believe it, but we had a very amicable parting on the best of terms. I spent 29 years there building that company, and I wish everyone there nothing but the best, and they have reciprocated with me."

He announced his resignation on "Lou Dobbs Tonight," finished the newscast and walked out of CNN.

It's hard to know whether the abruptness or the lack of rancor surrounding the exit was more noteworthy. Dobbs' outspokenness had made him a political target - so much so that there were parties celebrating the departure over the weekend - and an uncomfortable contradiction to what CNN says it wants to be.

Lou Dobbs: Must Read

This from his own site..

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Lou Dobbs on the John Stewart show last night described his leaving CNN as a 'mutual agreement'. That is a code phrase for being pushed out. He's being polite because CNN is paying him (well) till the end of his contract.

John Klein, President of CNN, in fact, notified Dobbs that he wanted to move the network away from 'advocacy journalism' towards a more 'middle of the road' editorial stance. Both those phrases are code also for advocacy for the conventional economic and political paradigm, acceptable to advertisers and the financial interests of owners.

Hence you see his replacement is the a limp piece of macaroni like John King.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Lou Dobbs on the John Stewart show last night described his leaving CNN as a 'mutual agreement'. That is a code phrase for being pushed out. He's being polite because CNN is paying him (well) till the end of his contract.

Really? And if somebody is truly leaving with mutual agreement, what language would he use? Is there perhaps some different code language for it?

Whatever conspiracy theorists may believe, I choose to believe Lou Dobbs, I take him at his word. If he is leaving with mutual agreement, then that indeed is the case.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Usually, 'mutual agreement' means, you agree to leave, and we agree to pay you a chunk of cash, and we'll both keep quiet about our reasons.

It's sometimes used as a way to avoid saying, 'he's been fired before the criminal charges', but that's not likely with Lou baby.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
And I guess they couldn't call him a "racist" for being so hard on illegal immigration since I do believe he has had a Hispanic wife for 25 years?:cool:

Absolutely not, there's many people who aren't racially prejudiced at all, but still think other races should remain in their own country. Nothing wrong with that, I really like my neighbour but don't want him living in my house.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
And I guess they couldn't call him a "racist" for being so hard on illegal immigration since I do believe he has had a Hispanic wife for 25 years?:cool:

The point is legal or illegal immigration, nothing 'really' to do with what the
nationality is.
I'm sure his wife is living in the u.s. legally, and he has no problem with that,
with any hispanic persons.
I've always fully agreed with him on this subject, whereas, so many hispanics
acuse him and others of being racist because they disaprove of 'illegal immigration, 'they' like to jump over that 'most important point' as though
it doesn't exist.

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
For you both, perhaps.

Really? And if somebody is truly leaving with mutual agreement, what language would he use? Is there perhaps some different code language for it?

Whatever conspiracy theorists may believe, I choose to believe Lou Dobbs, I take him at his word. If he is leaving with mutual agreement, then that indeed is the case.