All Afghan Detainees Likely Tortured.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
The Conservative government knew and did nothing about it and tried to cover it up.

Doesn't surprise me.

Just when you think the Conservatives should win a majority another skeleton falls out of the closet.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Wow, that's sure makes the conservatives look bad.... Most of the people were innocent. Our soldiers handed them over to the local authorities, where they were beaten, subjected to electrical shocks and raped. A Canadian field agent reports whats going on and he's muzzled by the conservative government.

Why is Canada in Afghanistan again?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Wow, that's sure makes the conservatives look bad.... Most of the people were innocent. Our soldiers handed them over to the local authorities, where they were beaten, subjected to electrical shocks and raped. A Canadian field agent reports whats going on and he's muzzled by the conservative government.

Why is Canada in Afghanistan again?

It is awful.

The alternative would be to create a Canadian-staffed detention centre.

More soldiers. A lot more. Suits me fine, that is much better than tolerating torture.

BTW, do you guys think that this started when the Conservatives came to power?????????????

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
As someone who is more on the political left than right, I find this story ranks with
the bias of old. Yes they probably were tortured when they were turned over to
their Afghan captors. They are not our responsibility, we captured them and turned them over to a penal system. And if you believe, that prisoners were not
tortured in every other war we have been engaged in, you are kidding yourselves
it happens all the time. Its only too bad we bothered to take the time to take
prisoners at all if you know what I mean. It seems to me, Canadians don't grasp
the fact that we are at war and when that happens the first casualty is the truth.
As long as the final outcome is favorable to us, meaning NATO or the UN, it
matters not what happens in the theatre of war. I do not support the Iraq War
but I do support Afghanistan, and we should not be going home until the job is
done.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
How soon some of you forget, must be the cold. We never went into Afghanistan to protect its goverment, or save its people. Those ideas may have drifted into your minds as current reasons or try and justify it, but your wrong. We went there to exact justice for 911. nothing more. Read below for why we are there.

"The new commander of al Qaeda's paramilitary forces that operate in Pakistan and Afghanistan laid out al Qaeda and the Taliban's strategy to defeat the Coalition and Afghan government.
Abdullah Sa'id, the commander of the Lashkar al Zil, or the Shadow Army, released a statement concerning the status of the fight in Afghanistan. The statement, which has been obtained by The Long War Journal, was issued by Al Fajr Media Center, an official outlet for al Qaeda propaganda, and published on the Islamic Al Fallujah Forum."

Read more: http://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2009/04/al_qaedas_shadow_arm.php

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
Canada is no better nor worse than our sick neighbours to the south.

We try so hard to emulate the US in so many ways, it`s nauseating.

Hang those Canadians responsible for this atrocity, otherwise expect retaliation from those we`ve harmed...and deservedly so.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
How is this our attrocity?

Unless we want to run their government for them, we have to let the Afghan people take charge of their own at some point in time. Otherwise, lets just annex them as the next province/state and start imposing our laws.

Ironsides is sorta right: Canada is in Afghanistan in response to our treaty obligations to a direct attack on our neighbour and close ally. The Taliban refused to hand bin-Laden and co. over to the US thus NATO responded. Now, we can take a big picture view that to prevent a recurrence of the Taliban's rise, we need to help pacify and introduce rule of law to Afghanistan, or we can say "oh gee, its their problem not ours" (like we did after the USSR invaded and NATO sent armaments to the tribes who became the Taliban).

Introducing that rule of law won't be immediate or flawless, but part of that process is letting the Afghans be responsible for their own citizens.

There's a lot of tragic irony in the situation in Afghanistan...

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto

Hang those Canadians responsible for this atrocity, otherwise expect retaliation from those we`ve harmed...and deservedly so.

Ohh please. You probably have a hardon right now with these "allegations". Your hatred for your own country is nauseating.

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
I love my country *waves little CAD flag* :smile:
It`s our constant US ass-kissing that irritates me.

ps...it`s called a `chubby` round these parts thar partner.;-)

Ohh please. You probably have a hardon right now with these "allegations". Your hatred for your own country is nauseating.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Aren;'t you the same person that posted the article advocating that NATO "mind its own business" on the subject of women's rights in Afghanistan???

Consistency is hardly your strong point......

Except in self-loathing.

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
I believe the article I c/p spoke for its self.

Speaking of consistency, why are we in Afghanistan again?:lol:

Aren;'t you the same person that posted the article advocating that NATO "mind its own business" on the subject of women's rights in Afghanistan???

Consistency is hardly your strong point......

Except in self-loathing.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
The Conservatives must have an inquiry into this and come clean if they want a majority.

That precisely is the difference between Harper and Martin. Martin appointed the Gomery commission to get at the truth, even though he probably realized that it may end up damaging the liberal Party seriously.

This issue is similar to sponsorship scandal. But I don’t see Harper ever appointing a commission for an inquiry, no matter what the reason. In that respect, he is similar to Chrétien. Chrétien would definitely not have appointed Gomery commission.

And all the Harper acolyte here, who were salivating at their mouths at the prospect of Gomery inquiry, are no doubt strongly opposed to their Messiah appointing a public commission on the issue. An inquiry may end up hurting their party, we can’t have that.

Anyway, I disagree with you here. If Harper appoints a commission, he will lose any chances he has for a majority; an inquiry will bring forth all the dirty laundry of the conservative party. If he hopes to get a majority, he must sit on it and hope that it blows over.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
So we should have a public inquiry over the allegation of one intelligence officer? Wouldn't it be prudent to determine if their is grounds for the inquiry first of all?