Cops are becoming pansies

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
VANCOUVER, B.C. — Crown prosecutors have decided not to lay charges against a Vancouver police officer who shot a man eight times, killing him, more than two years ago.
- The Canadian Press: No charges for Vancouver cop who fatally shot bipolar man during 2007

Les spotted a guy at the mall in Kelowna trying to set fire to stuff in a dumpster. He approached and the guy picked up a 2x4 and swung. Les blocked it (got a bruise on his forearm) and took it away from the guy. I called the cops. They arrested the guy. These days it seems if anyone resists, he's committing suicide by cop because they don't want to break a nail.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
- The Canadian Press: No charges for Vancouver cop who fatally shot bipolar man during 2007

Les spotted a guy at the mall in Kelowna trying to set fire to stuff in a dumpster. He approached and the guy picked up a 2x4 and swung. Les blocked it (got a bruise on his forearm) and took it away from the guy. I called the cops. They arrested the guy.

I don't see the connection between what happened to Les and the below statement:

These days it seems if anyone resists, he's committing suicide by cop because they don't want to break a nail.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
- http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5iVwxU7C-Vrcavxybp4nCITHyxl5ALes spotted a guy at the mall in Kelowna trying to set fire to stuff in a dumpster. He approached and the guy picked up a 2x4 and swung. Les blocked it (got a bruise on his forearm) and took it away from the guy. I called the cops. They arrested the guy. These days it seems if anyone resists, he's committing suicide by cop because they don't want to break a nail.

Les doesn't have to follow training. Cops do.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Les doesn't have to follow training. Cops do.
Les had no training except firefighting. Cops used to be able to take down armed suspects without shooting them to death. Besides, blocking attacks is partly what batons are for, isn't it?

Last edited:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I don't see the connection between what happened to Les and the below statement:
Someone who is unarmed and untrained in any close-quarter combat can disarm a violent person without killing him, and yet armed and trained "professionals" can't? I'd say there's something wrong with their attitudes and/or their training.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Don't you think enough of them are in enough trouble right now that they are all a little "gun shy"? There were so many deaths by taser and so much public outcry that in my opinion, every police officer is laying low. I'm thinking they must be coming up with an alternative to the taser. The batons may be for blocking attacks but they are not a toy and they too can kill if someone is hit in the wrong place. You are not looking at cops who have bad attitudes (generally speaking) or bad training. You are looking at the results of a strong public outcry. Do you have any idea how stressful a job it is? Firefighting is stressful but not in the same way. No one spits at or on a firefighter, calls their kids names, attacks their homes and vehicles etc.
I saw on tonight's news that the Vancouver Police Dept. has a new "toy". It emits sound so loud that a person cannot stay in the area. People think it is to stop those who want to object to to the Olympics and maybe it is. It would probably break up a riot fast as well. Someone will complain that it broke their ear drums and then VPD will be on the hook for being a horrible force and maybe the heat will be off the RCMP for awhile. No matter what, there is always someone who finds something. Nothing has been happening and you found something because you wanted something to talk about. It's a troubled area to tread.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
If you attack a police officer you deserve to be shot

Now the police in Toronto have the Cherry Street Express to give extra motivation to people that like to attack the police

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Don't you think enough of them are in enough trouble right now that they are all a little "gun shy"?
Possibly. That still doesn't change my mind about them.
There were so many deaths by taser and so much public outcry that in my opinion, every police officer is laying low. I'm thinking they must be coming up with an alternative to the taser. The batons may be for blocking attacks but they are not a toy and they too can kill if someone is hit in the wrong place.
The sonic knife. Yes it can. But not like a sidearm.
You are not looking at cops who have bad attitudes (generally speaking) or bad training.
Yes I am. CTV News | W5 investigates: When the RCMP pulls the trigger
You are looking at the results of a strong public outcry.
Strong public outcry did not shoot the bipolar man. A cop put 8 rounds into him.
Do you have any idea how stressful a job it is?
No. Being a firefighter's wife, I never came into contact with any cops.:roll:
Firefighting is stressful but not in the same way. No one spits at or on a firefighter, calls their kids names, attacks their homes and vehicles etc.
You'd be surprised. If they can't handle stress they shouldn't have the job.
I saw on tonight's news that the Vancouver Police Dept. has a new "toy". It emits sound so loud that a person cannot stay in the area. People think it is to stop those who want to object to to the Olympics and maybe it is. It would probably break up a riot fast as well. Someone will complain that it broke their ear drums and then VPD will be on the hook for being a horrible force and maybe the heat will be off the RCMP for awhile. No matter what, there is always someone who finds something. Nothing has been happening and you found something because you wanted something to talk about. It's a troubled area to tread.
Well, yeah. That IS something. Imagine Joe Shoppkeeper is just locking up to keep rowdies from getting into his store during a demonstration and the cops let loose a blast from that gadget. Does shopkeeper deserve to be deafened by it just because cops are too lazy to get out of their vehicle and actually disperse a crowd that way?

As I indicated before, a broken nail or a bruise is not compensation for a life. So much for "protecting and serving".

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
The police are there to maintain the right. In other words, to uphold the law. Not to protect and serve.
You roll your eyes because as a Firefighter's wife, I am to expect you would come in contact with the cops. So what? I've come into contact with firefighters but that doesn't change anything.
You need to remember that the news media is half truth, half sensationalism. Because they say it is or isn't so doesn't make it the truth. You can read article after article on the same case and every reporter will give a different truth or slant to the same story.
If they can't handle stress they shouldn't be on the job! Weak. They handle stress daily. Everyone has a point where they need to back off. They might be cops but they are human first. Even doctors have a breaking point regarding stress.
I don't know about the bi-polar man. I never read the story. Would you like the cops to check out the medical status of every person before they do their job and uphold the law. The way you talk is that every person gets to pass go first and see whether or not there is really a reason to use the law and at the same time, you call the cops pansies and say they are afraid to break their nails. Do you want them to uphold the law or not? You seem to be giving a double message.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
If you attack a police officer you deserve to be shot

Now the police in Toronto have the Cherry Street Express to give extra motivation to people that like to attack the police
No again. If you attack a police office you deserve to be charged because that is the law. The law does not say you should be shot if you attack a police officer. If you draw a gun with the intent to use it that might be another matter but some drunk might take a swing at a P.O. and it certainly doesn't mean he deserves to be shot! Don't be silly.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
No again. If you attack a police office you deserve to be charged because that is the law. The law does not say you should be shot if you attack a police officer. If you draw a gun with the intent to use it that might be another matter but some drunk might take a swing at a P.O. and it certainly doesn't mean he deserves to be shot! Don't be silly.

NO when you attack a police officer it is up to him or her of what force is deemed necessary to subdue the attacker.

The police are not there to demonstrate who is a better fighter and they are not there to entertain the public.

They are there to apprehend lawbreakers in a safe and efficient manner to themselves.

If it means shooting the suspect if they decide not to drop they’re weapon so be it

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Les had no training except firefighting. Cops used to be able to take down armed suspects without shooting them to death. Besides, blocking attacks is partly what batons are for, isn't it?

Cops are walking a pretty fine line, where they could be on the one hand like the situation in Mayerthorpe Alta. a few years ago, or on the other like the cop in Houston B.C. who took a lot of criticism for shooting an alleged drunk, obnoxious aggressor in the back of the head.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
This incident sounds like the perfect place for use of the TASER.

You can only use lethal force "to protect yourself or another person from immediate danger of death or greivous bodily injury".

The officer can not be charged under the law, because swinging a bicycle chain puts the officer and his colleagues in "immediate danger of greivous bodily harm", therefore the officer was legally entitled to use lethal force. And when you choose to shoot, you shoot until there is no more threat.

Now, I think it is a damn shame this guy got killed. I would guess unnecessary, but I was not there. But, as I said, this was a perfect scenario for the TASER.......a dangerous, out-of-control situation that legitimized lethal force, but would have been best handled by use of force that did not result in death.....

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Les had no training except firefighting.

That's right, so he had no training to follow.

Cops used to be able to take down armed suspects without shooting them to death.

...because they were trained to do so.

Besides, blocking attacks is partly what batons are for, isn't it?

For the officers safety, he/she is not supposed to allow a threat close enough to use a baton on. That's what tasers are for.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Quote: VANCOUVER, B.C. — Crown prosecutors have decided not to lay charges against a Vancouver police officer who shot a man eight times, killing him, more than two years ago.
Putting eight bullets into a man suggests a certain....what....panic? I wonder how many of the wounds would have been fatal. If he hit the guy eight times, how many shots missed? Sounds like he literally hosed the guy with bullets. Getting hit with a bicycle chain would not have been fun but does the threat of getting hit with a bicycle chain warrant emptying a gun at him?

Last edited: