Traditional British lemonade drink sparks row in U.S. over trace alcohol content

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
When it comes to alcohol, North Americans can be very strict indeed.

A traditional British lemonade drink, Fentimans Victorian Lemonade, enjoyed in Britain for more than 100 years, has sparked uproar in the US after a teenager in Maine had the drink confiscated from him as he is under the legal age of alcohol consumption - despite the fact that the beverage contains just 0.5% alcohol. Many drinks in Britain - such as shandy - have the same, and sometimes a slightly higher, alcohol content that are legally allowed to be bought and consumed by people of any age including children.

After the kid had his drink confisctated, a body called the Aroostock Substance Abuse Prevention Coalition and even the Attorney General got involved!

Maine, like many states in that part of the US, was founded by humourless, fun-hating English Puritans, who moved to Britain's colonies in North America in the 17th Century because Britain wasn't strict enough (those people would have had a shock during Britain's Gin Craze of the 18th Century).

The alcohol drinking age in the US is 21, in Canada it is 19 and in Britain is 18.

Fentimans is based in Hexham, Northumberland. Thomas Fentiman, a West Yorkshire iron worker, began the business in 1905 when he was given a recipe in repayment of a loan.

Traditional British lemonade drink sparks row in U.S. over trace alcohol content

By Mail Foreign Service
28th October 2009
Daily Mail

Traditional: Fentimans Victorian Lemonade has sparked a row in the U.S. as it contains 0.5 per cent alcohol

A traditional lemonade which British drinkers have enjoyed for more than a century caused a row when an American teenager pointed out it contains 0.5 per cent alcohol.

The Fentimans range of botanically brewed soft drinks has undergone a sales revival and their natural ingredients and traditional-style bottles have proved a hit with consumers.

But the firm, based in Hexham, Northumberland, has been caught up in an under-age booze row in the US after a teenager in Maine confessed to his school principal the Victorian Lemonade he opened contained alcohol.

The offending drink - only half consumed - was taken away from the pupil and the police, a body called the Aroostock Substance Abuse Prevention Coalition and even the Attorney General in the state where English Puritans settled, got involved.

Protesters were concerned about the drink's alcohol content - albeit low - and the traditional bottles, which they claimed made the brand look like 'imitation liquor'.

They said the brew should not be bought by under-21s.

But the makers said the 0.5 per cent alcohol level meant the botanical beverage qualified as a soft drink.

In fact, the average alcohol level was more like 0.3 per cent, a spokesman said.

A drinker would have to drink 28 bottles of the 275ml pop to consume the same amount of alcohol as a pint of beer, the firm said.

Many common products, such as orange juice, mouthwash and chewing gum contain trace levels of alcohol.

The row was picked up by internet bloggers after it featured in the US media.

Ironically, publicity from the fall-out has led to a sales surge across 30 states, the firm said.

Thomas Fentiman, a West Yorkshire iron worker, began the business in 1905 when he was given a recipe in repayment of a loan.

It started as a door-to-door ginger beer business, but fell into trouble in the mid 1960s when supermarkets took over.

The brand, with its Alsatian-themed labels inspired by Thomas Fentiman's prized pet Fearless, was revived by the founder's great-grandson Eldon Robson in 1988. He prides his product in only using herbs, natural flavours and slow fermentation.

The furore over the lemonade did not concern Mr Robson, who said: 'I think it's quite amusing, really.

'Maine is, of course, where our Puritanical forefathers went because Britain was not strict enough and it has been said that Puritans are people who are always worried that someone, somewhere might be having fun.

'However, underage drinking is a serious matter and this issue does need to be clarified.

'In the past 25 years, we have only had a handful of polite inquiries about whether our drinks are suitable for children and all of these people have been quite satisfied when we explain that they are legally classified as soft drinks - and that I actively encourage my own children to drink Fentimans.

'Our drinks do not look alcoholic, just quite distinctive and traditional, so the whole 'imitation liquor' argument seems patently ridiculous.

'I am pleased to see that the public in the States have been vociferous in their online comments, pointing out that everyday items like mouthwash, orange juice and even chewing gum contain trace alcohol.

'As one commentator suggested, it would mean drinking literally gallons of any of our drinks to gain the same effect as half a pint of beer.'

dailymail.co.uk

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
I think the British have a healthier attitude to drinking. I remember the fuss it caused when Guinness imported its Guinness is Good for You slogan over here (they were required to remove it).

But the Canadian example is nothing compared to what you find in the U.S. and especially in the old North Eastern Puritan colonies like Maine, where alcohol is still Lucifer's elixir, and hence even .5% represents a barter with the Devil.

I'm not sure of the rates of alcoholism but my guess is they are less in England than you find in New England, where a culture of sereptitious and solitary drinking is still prevalent, as public drinking and intoxication carries a much more pronounced stigma.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
North America went about the booze thing entirely the wrong way. Kids in France grow up drinking wine and stuff. Do we hear of French teenagers drunk driving and doing the same sort of things North American teens involving booze and to the same extent? No.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Exactly, non-alcoholic beer is 0.5%, and there are no restrictions on purchasing it, at least not here.

I don't know why they would get their shorts in a knot over that.

Incidentally, our local grocery store sells Irn-Bru, for all you John Rebus fans.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I think the British have a healthier attitude to drinking. I remember the fuss it caused when Guinness imported its Guinness is Good for You slogan over here (they were required to remove it).

But the Canadian example is nothing compared to what you find in the U.S. and especially in the old North Eastern Puritan colonies like Maine, where alcohol is still Lucifer's elixir, and hence even .5% represents a barter with the Devil.

I'm not sure of the rates of alcoholism but my guess is they are less in England than you find in New England, where a culture of sereptitious and solitary drinking is still prevalent, as public drinking and intoxication carries a much more pronounced stigma.

Wow...I take it you have never been to New England.

I still see the "Guiness is Good For You" and "Guiness for Strength" posters in bars and pubs.

Puritans? Are there any around? Do they even make Puritans these days? That was 300 years ago. I was in Salem this weekend...the hotbed Puritism in the 1600's made famous by the Witch Trials and the place was jamming! The only trace of Puritans I saw were 6 feet under the turf with an old headstone above them at the Ole Burying Ground. Right next door to the cemetary there was an outdoor bar and it was hopping.

The bottom line is kids under 21 can't drink ANY alcohol. Not 12%, not 5%, not 1%.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Wow...I take it you have never been to New England.

I still see the "Guiness is Good For You" and "Guiness for Strength" posters in bars and pubs.

Puritans? Are there any around? Do they even make Puritans these days? That was 300 years ago. I was in Salem this weekend...the hotbed Puritism in the 1600's made famous by the Witch Trials and the place was jamming! The only trace of Puritans I saw were 6 feet under the turf with an old headstone above them at the Ole Burying Ground. Right next door to the cemetary there was an outdoor bar and it was hopping.

The bottom line is kids under 21 can't drink ANY alcohol. Not 12%, not 5%, not 1%.

Legal age is 21???? Unbelievable! Get out of the dark ages...

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands

Every time you eat something, you are consuming ethanol molecules. Therefore your absolute statement is patently absurd.

Moreover, drinking age laws are completely discriminatory. Consider the fact that it is illegal for a 19 year old to drink in the USA, but they can legally buy a flight ticket to go to Canada whereby they can legally drink. Similar even for 18 year olds in Canada who can simply drive to one of the provinces where the drinking age is lower.

The bottom line is: drinking ages are bogus but nobody cares because it only affects kids.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Every time you eat something, you are consuming ethanol molecules. Therefore your absolute statement is patently absurd.

Moreover, drinking age laws are completely discriminatory. Consider the fact that it is illegal for a 19 year old to drink in the USA, but they can legally buy a flight ticket to go to Canada whereby they can legally drink. Similar even for 18 year olds in Canada who can simply drive to one of the provinces where the drinking age is lower.

The bottom line is: drinking ages are bogus but nobody cares because it only affects kids.
Exactly. The attitude about alcohol is draconian sometimes and ludicrous at other times with a slight pinch of sensible somewhere in the middle.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
How’s this? Every 22 minutes someone dies in an alcohol-related motor vehicle accident. And perhaps, most horrible of all a disproportionately high number of those deaths and accidents come in the 15 to 24 age group. A lot of young people are, in fact, dying before they get old …dying tragic, meaningless deaths.
Teenage Drunk Driving

Yes the drinking laws are pretty much arbitrary, even in the U.S., but when exactly would be the appropriate age to allow your child to drink?

herajuno

Oct 28, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Puritans? Are there any around? Do they even make Puritans these days?

1. Yes, there are Puritans in Houlton, Maine right now. And probably elsewhere. It's a timeless system of belief which is as valid as any other, as long as it doesn't waste taxpayer time with attorneys-general having to investigate innocuous soft drinks. More seriously though, some attitudes of Puritanism are evident even in people who are not completely Puritanical in every respect. This ridiculous obsession with naturally-occurring traces of alcohol is a waste of time, but typical of the concerns of this particular group of people. :roll:

2. Then kids must never drink orange juice unless it has just been freshly opened, since fermentation begins immediately and it can quickly reach 0.5%. Let's outlaw fresh orange juice to protect the kiddies!! Wait, then how will they get vitamin C? Let's just give them processed sweetened vitamin C tablets instead. That would be healthier than natural soft drinks brewed with herbs and actual fruit juice. NOT. :-? Also they should not eat bread since it contains traces of alcohol from the fermentation of yeast. And let's not even start on mouthwash and the sugar alcohols frequently used as sweeteners these days...

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

Ah you get what I mean. Let's not nitpick because that is being absurd.

Yes indeed and many an 18-20 year old kids go up to Montreal from this area and get ripped up!

Your age?