Young woman killed by coyotes

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Halifax — Canadian Press Published on Wednesday, Oct. 28, 2009 7:55AM EDT Last updated on Wednesday, Oct. 28, 2009 10:19AM EDT

A young Toronto-area woman has died in hospital from injuries sustained when she was attacked by a pair of coyotes while hiking in Cape Breton.
The woman was hiking on the Skyline trail in Cape Breton Highlands National Park on Tuesday when the attack occurred. She was alone on the trail, and another hiker, walking behind her, called 911.
She was airlifted to Cheticamp Hospital in Halifax, listed in critical condition, but she succumbed to her injuries this morning.
RCMP officers shot and injured one of the animals, but the other fled into the woods. Park officials are actively searching for the second coyote.
Germaine LeMoine, public affairs officer with Parks Canada, said the Skyline trail will remain off-limits until further notice.
“This wouldn't even be considered a yearly event,” Mr. LeMoine said. “It's extremely rare in the history of the park.”

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I'm older than most here. I grew up mostly in northern B.C. where coyotes were just another animal. Coyotes were generally too shy to be even seen by humans. It used to be said that if a coyote saw you first, you wouldn't see him. In the last ten or twenty years all animals are getting bolder. Increasing numbers of pets are being taken. It sounds like it is time to thin these animals out for their and our own good.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
For a wee walk in the bush in fall, Nuggler always carries his:

http://www.coldsteeldealers.com/survival/menu-bushmans.jpg

and a walking staff upon which one of these can be quickly placed to form a neat spear so one doesn't have to get too up close and personal. Mehhhhhhhhh, the jury is still out whether that would work on a bear. Any port in a storm.

Not really, but I might start.

That fatal attack was horrible. Much media speculation whether they were coy-dogs, having lost their fear of humans, or just coyotes which had been fed by humans. That poor girl might have had a chance with bear spray. We'll never know. Sincere condolences to her family and RIP.

So sad.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I'm thinking that what they call a Coyote in New Brunswick must be something
different (different animal or different sized animal) than what we see out here
in Western Canada and call a Coyote. :-?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Update: Toronto - Globe and Mail Update Published on Wednesday, Oct. 28, 2009 7:55AM EDT Last updated on Wednesday, Oct. 28, 2009 10:32AM EDT Taylor Mitchell, a singer-songwriter from Toronto, was attacked by coyotes in Cape Breton and has died in hospital.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
different (different animal or different sized animal) than what we see out here

Could be. Around E. Ont. we call them "bush wolves" or "brush wolves" and they are generally smaller than a timber, but larger than a western coyote. They remind me of a tall skinny German Shepherd with very long legs.

Fearsome bastards, and I wouldn't like to meet up with more than one without a gun. Lots of them around now due to the extreme increase in the number of deer in the last few years. But that's another story.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
What I know as a Coyote is a danger to Rabbit/Cat sized animals and down,
and would weigh in as maybe 1/2 of what a Husky does. Lanky and fast, but
not very big at all.

Nuggler, what you're describing isn't what we call a Coyote out here.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Yeah....eastern coyotes are larger than their western cousins........

Some here call them brush wolves.

We have real wolves as well, although that is not admitted by the powers-that-be in public.....and cougars, and bears. If you try hard enough, you can get eaten in the bush.

This was in a Park, and coyotes don't wander far....I'm thinking loss of man-fear, idiots feeding them.....disaster in the making. They have mentioned rabies, but I don't think rabid animals would be traveling in pairs.......

Anyway, coyotes are back on my shoot-on-sight list.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Wow....trippy. This is what I know of as a Coyote in Saskatchewan, and this
picture was taken on someone's back step inside the city of Regina last
winter. Two very different critters, eh?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Something is screwed up here.
Update: Toronto - Globe and Mail Update Published on Wednesday, Oct. 28, 2009 7:55AM EDT Last updated on Wednesday, Oct. 28, 2009 10:32AM EDT Taylor Mitchell, a singer-songwriter from Toronto, was attacked by coyotes in Cape Breton and has died in hospital.
When I googled the name I kept getting a picture of a guy.

Finally:

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
For a wee walk in the bush in fall, Nuggler always carries his:

http://www.coldsteeldealers.com/survival/menu-bushmans.jpg

and a walking staff upon which one of these can be quickly placed to form a neat spear so one doesn't have to get too up close and personal. Mehhhhhhhhh, the jury is still out whether that would work on a bear. Any port in a storm.

Not really, but I might start.

That fatal attack was horrible. Much media speculation whether they were coy-dogs, having lost their fear of humans, or just coyotes which had been fed by humans. That poor girl might have had a chance with bear spray. We'll never know. Sincere condolences to her family and RIP.

So sad.

Absolutely....so sad. Nature is a gorgeous, wonderful, enchanting, nasty deadly bitch.

I am rarely in the bush without either my Remington Model 7 .223 (specifically purchased for coyote slamming), my Baikal SxS 12 ga, or my Remington 700 Mountain in 7 x57mm.

I have never been concerned at being unarmed in the bush either......and I always kinda made fun of fellow woodsmen that feared coyotes.

No more. Fun-making I mean.

My son once was waiting to guide a friend into our camp.....he was on an old woods road, unarmed, about midnight, by himself, with a coleman lantern resting on the ground..........he said he caught a movement at the edge of the light....picked up the lantern and held it high.....to discover he was in the centre of a ring of eyes..........SPOOKY!!!! He found himself a nice solid club, but the coyotes faded away.....no trouble.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Eastern Coyote Photo

same animal, only a lot bigger.

Is the Eastern Coyote becoming a Wolf?

or maybe not.

I did shoot a big one a few years ago.........and it occured to me at the time, while I was examining the carcass, how much he looked like a small wolf......

Why would you shoot one?? What did it do to you?

Its great to see these animals in the wild. The problem is that humans are encroaching on their territory.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Why would you shoot one?? What did it do to you?

Its great to see these animals in the wild. The problem is that humans are encroaching on their territory.

Toronto. :roll:

I would, do, and have shot a coyote for the following reasons:

1. They are in no danger as a species, in fact they have had a population explosion in the last half-century....therefore shooting them is not any threat to the continuation of the species.......I would not shoot a wolf or a cougar because they are rare, and very shy of man.

2. They are wild animals, carnivores, that are notoriously capable of living in very close contact with people..........and I wish to administer the occassional booster shot (so to speak) to their fear of man, to prevent their social climbing up the food chain....notice the attack happened in a PARK, where they are not hunted, and quickly lose their fear........

3. Because I like hunting deer and small game. So do coyotes. In nature, killing the competition is fair play.

Enroaching on their territory???????

No no no. Terra firma is MY territory. I'm top of the food chain.........f*&^ with ME at your peril. That is nature..........

And there were no coyotes in eastern Canada 40 years ago.....who is enroaching on who's territory????

And yes, I like to see coyotes in the wild as well.

Keeps the shooting skills sharp.:lol:

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I live just outside the metro area of Kelowna, on the farm. These critters are getting bolder all the time. Some nights they are less than a hundred feet from
the back door. When I walk the dog at night I keep a close eye out. I will pay
a lot more attention now. We are also experience an increase in bears coming
down from the surrounding mountains to feed on apples that a lying on the
ground under the trees.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Toronto. :roll:

I would, do, and have shot a coyote for the following reasons:

1. They are in no danger as a species, in fact they have had a population explosion in the last half-century....therefore shooting them is not any threat to the continuation of the species.......I would not shoot a wolf or a cougar because they are rare, and very shy of man.

2. They are wild animals, carnivores, that are notoriously capable of living in very close contact with people..........and I wish to administer the occassional booster shot (so to speak) to their fear of man, to prevent their social climbing up the food chain....notice the attack happened in a PARK, where they are not hunted, and quickly lose their fear........

3. Because I like hunting deer and small game. So do coyotes. In nature, killing the competition is fair play.

Enroaching on their territory???????

No no no. Terra firma is MY territory. I'm top of the food chain.........f*&^ with ME at your peril. That is nature..........

And there were no coyotes in eastern Canada 40 years ago.....who is enroaching on who's territory????

And yes, I like to see coyotes in the wild as well.

Keeps the shooting skills sharp.:lol:

So you kill just for the sake of killing??? Do you eat the coyotes you kill? You are the reason we have PETA. You brag about all your killing, shooting and guns. I guess you do that to make up for your lack of brains. You are a sad individual. I guess you will be mowing down humans next.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
So you kill just for the sake of killing??? Do you eat the coyotes you kill? You are the reason we have PETA. You brag about all your killing, shooting and guns. I guess you do that to make up for your lack of brains. You are a sad individual. I guess you will be mowing down humans next.

Ah, Dear Lord, is there anything more intellectually arrogant than a lefty Toronto resident???

Yep.....sometimes I kill for the sheer hell of it, because I please. For fun. Because I can. So what????

Only within the law, only animals that are pests, and PETA can kiss my furry arse.

No, I have never mowed down a human.....in fact, I realized how horrible it would be to have to shoot someone the first time I killed a deer. I'm not confused about the morality of life and death in nature.....you are. I have an active enough brain stem to be able to differentiate between humans and animals....my guess is that you do not.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Coyotes come to places humans inhabit because humans leave coyotes' fast food out: garbage, pets, and sometimes a child.
Bears, coons, skunks, too.
Most people don't shoot them when they are seen, so it's safe. If more and more people picked up sticks and chased them, or shot at them, they would be a lot more shy (like they used to be).