Lashing out at the world

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Edmonton's downtown core has been largely shut down today thanks to a gunman who has taken hostages in the Worker's Compensation Board building. Needless to say, he has been identified as a disgruntled former 'patient' of the system.

Some pity him. Some think he should be shot on sight.

When is a person justified in lashing out like this in your mind?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Edmonton's downtown core has been largely shut down today thanks to a gunman who has taken hostages in the Worker's Compensation Board building. Needless to say, he has been identified as a disgruntled former 'patient' of the system.

Some pity him. Some think he should be shot on sight.

When is a person justified in lashing out like this in your mind?

Justified in lashing out "like this"?????

Never.

One assumes the gentleman in question has taken innocent people hostage......

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

Never.

It's amazing how few think the hostages are 'innocent', simply because they work at the WCB.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
This came up at work today too. I honestly think it's an indication of the times we live in. There was an unusually unanimous agreement amongst my coworkers that the economic climate being what it is, it's not at all surprising. Perhaps more surprising that we haven't seen more of this sort of desperation manifesting in acts like this.

Let me be quick to point out, nobody's condoning this person's behaviour... just holding off on condemning him until more facts around his mental health are available.

Last I heard, they'd talked 8 of the 9 hostages free. I should go check the news to see what going on with it...

kryptic

- gone insane -
Sep 24, 2009
Alberta
it is a serious way to get your point across, maybe a little on the extreme side, but on the other hand, that company is a real piece of work when you have to deal with them, scum comes to mind. Maybe they should take a look at their ethics...

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
The hostage taking has finally ended with his surrender. No one hurt. My friends who were in lockdown in neighbouring buildings, and friends of friends who were affected because they were in the WCB building, have been allowed to go home finally.

While it all ended well, it was a full day of fear for many families.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
me too. I've gotten too connected in this city, and it becomes very small very fast when something like this happens.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
It is extreme and not something I would consider. That said, I do understand where he is coming from. I just received a "turn down" letter from WCB today. Their previous attitude toward me led me to believe I would receive exactly the letter I got today. The funny part is, they wrote and told me that they would be meeting in November to let me know IF they would even consider letting me proceed with an appeal. The letter I received some months ago from Work Safe BC aka WCB, stated that they would hold a meeting in November and come to a decision regarding my claim. That meeting would then determine if they would allow me to proceed with my claim but also stated that if they decided I could not, then it was over - no recourse. The letter stating NO today did give me an address of someone I can apply to, to have this decision overturned.
The people who work for these companies (WCB and Revenue Canada) are the lowest of the low. They do anything they can to trick you into saying and doing anything. They smile and talk to you really nice all the while, stabbing you in the back. Their letter to me states that it was a pre-existing condition. That was never denied and as my doctor stated, it doesn't matter if it was a pre-existing condition. The job I do made it worse. They should not be called Work Safe BC or Workers Compensation Board. When your work is not safe, they do not help and they do not compensate. One "green" cloth bag holds anywhere from 3 - 5 plastic grocery bags full. Cashiers lift from 1 - 8 and up per customer per shift. Now I had surgery and I am well. I got screwed over by WCB but for me, it's not the end of the world. For this man (and I hear about lots)it may be the end of the world. They probably turned down his claim with some weak excuse just because they can. They send you to their doctors. They have a mystery doctor review your file and make a medical decision regarding your life when you never even get to see this doctor or know who this doctor is (if there is a doctor and not just some WCB worker). Why is WCB allowed to have doctors in their employ? Obviously the answer is to screw people over. Why does governement allow it to happen? Because it works!

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008

Never.

What should he have done? They have 100% control over your claim and they let you know almost immediately that they don't care about you.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Hubby pointed out (while qualifying it with the fact that he thinks it's wrong to do what this man did), that it would have been really easy for our old friend to snap and lose it like this.

He had nearly every bone in his body broken in a vehicle accident at work. He was a contractor, and ran his company from home. When he answered the phone from his wheelchair, using his typical business greeting, WCB said 'wonderful, we hear you're back at work, your claim is closed'.

He then had no choice BUT to go back to work. He was lucky it was such a close community, and the rig hands ran his tools for him, according to his directions, as he sat, crippled, in his truck.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
it is a serious way to get your point across, maybe a little on the extreme side, but on the other hand, that company is a real piece of work when you have to deal with them, scum comes to mind. Maybe they should take a look at their ethics...

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

I agree with you here. Leaving the Employee/Hostages out of the statement,
the WCB does chew up and screw over many-many people, and I honestly
don't know anyone who's ever has a positive experience with them ever.

That's where our opinions split now though. The Man with the Gun, though as
pissed off and desperate as anyone forced to deal with WCB, has taken the
wrong path....and luckily nobody (including the Man with the Gun) has died so
far.

With any luck, nobody dies, this Man only goes to prison &/or a mental institute,
but gets to tell his tale publicly.

P.S. I got busy before hitting the submit button....& sounds like it's over....

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
What should he have done? They have 100% control over your claim and they let you know almost immediately that they don't care about you.

VI, I don't think he thought through at all what he 'should' or 'should not' do. I'm sure you didn't mean to imply that this was the only viable recourse left to him.... did you? 8O

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

Not take hostages? Not hold innocent people at gun point and make their families fear for their lives?

There are enough 'watch dog' organizations that surely one ought to be able to hunt down some help when WCB turns on you, no?

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I'm not justifying this Guy's actions what so ever....but has anyone on this Thread
ever had a positive experience (or know someone who's had one) with WCB
where they didn't feel like they where being screwed over and abused?

I've seen the Watchdog Organizations being rather toothless against WCB, at least
out here in Saskatchewan. Ugly situation all around here.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Well, it's an insurance company. And a FORCED insurance at that. It's hard not to feel pissed if you don't get the support and payout that you want. But, at the same time, it's hard not to feel jaded when you realize that a LOT of why they are so heartless and harsh, is because of the past abuses by people. It's a vicious cycle of abuse.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
yes, I think that's the consensus Ron. No one say what he should have done - most of us know how hopeless it is to try and battle the system... yet we can't allow this to justify what he did. So what are we left with... the ugly realization that when we're screwed, we're really screwed?

There but for the grace of gawd.... :-|