Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
http://www.bclocalnews.com/breaking_news/64454892.html

Sikhs can wear kirpans to Vancouver 2010 Games venues

By Black Press - Surrey North Delta Leader

Published: October 15, 2009 4:00 PM
Updated: October 16, 2009 9:41 AM

0 Comments

Baptized Sikhs will be allowed to wear the kirpan (the ceremonial dagger that is worn as an article of religious faith) to the winter Olympics, with certain restrictions.

The RCMP announced the guidelines Thursday, saying they were developed in consultation with representatives of the Sikh community.
A written statement said the standards will "provide reasonable accommodation for religious freedoms as defined by Canadian laws and values, while clearly identifying the conditions under which the kirpan may be worn."

The RCMP Integrated Security Unit said it has found very few examples of a kirpan being used as a weapon and believes they will pose no additional risk at the venues.

Anyone wearing a kirpan must inform Olympic security personnel before they are screened and will have to meet the following stipulations:

1. All articles of faith (traditional clothing, bracelt and ceremonial comb) must be worn.

2. The maximum length of the kirpan, including the sheath, cannot exceed 7.5 inches with a blade not more than four inches and a handle

of two inches or less.

3. The kirpan must be worn in keeping with Sikh traditions, which means being secured into its sheath, attached to a fabric belt and worn across the torso.

4. And the kirpan must be worn under clothing and not easily accessible.

==============

Totally wrong. No one should be allowed to carry a knife at an Olympic event in 2010. Western civilization had a scientific revolution (Da Vinci, Newton, Copernicus, etc) that showed religion didn't exist because it cannot be proven. So the word atheist came into the language. This is a backward step for our civilization, and a govt agency to boot, enforcing this.

Last edited by a moderator:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
are kirpans a religous icon or item? if so isnt it illegal to showcase religous icons if they are in public?
You missed the part in red?

Anyone wearing a kirpan must inform Olympic security personnel before they are screened and will have to meet the following stipulations:

1. All articles of faith (traditional clothing, bracelt and ceremonial comb) must be worn.

2. The maximum length of the kirpan, including the sheath, cannot exceed 7.5 inches with a blade not more than four inches and a handle

of two inches or less.

3. The kirpan must be worn in keeping with Sikh traditions, which means being secured into its sheath, attached to a fabric belt and worn across the torso.

4. And the kirpan must be worn under clothing and not easily accessible.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
==============

. Western civilization had a scientific revolution (Da Vinci, Newton, Copernicus, etc) that showed religion didn't exist because it cannot be proven. So the word atheist came into the language. .

A degree in History??????

Sir Isaac Newton was profoundly religious, and based much of his numerlogical investigation on biblical texts.....he did depart from the Anglican Church, but was in no way an Athiest.

Copernicus became a Canon of the Catholic Church in 1497...........his research was supported and encouraged by the Pope of the time......Atheist? I don't think so....

And most ludicrous of all, the idea that da Vinci, the painter of The Last Supper was atheist......

These great thinkers were unanimous about one thing....the existence of God.

I agree with you on your stand on the kirpan, only because the right to go armed should certainly not simply be based on a religious pretext.....but you should think before you post.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I like the requirements that all religious symbols must be worn.

In other words, the RCMP are saying that if you're going to play the 'religion' card, you're going to have to go the full deal.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Ummm, no.

i guess i got it mixed with icons. Just as long as they arent promoting there religon... Im just touching back on that elephant/calgary zoo thing(which i dont see as a hindu deity anyways), and the fact i cant say merry christmas lol

BUT if these knifes are no different then the turbans, and those hats the jewish people wear then im not worried...

Last edited:

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
Ludicrous. PC runs amok again.

I cannot even begin to fathom what kind of crack these people are smoking if they think a religion is grounds to carry a weapon where no others would be allowed to. They need to step back and think about what they're expecting us to swallow.

And Johnny you're right - if long standing Canadian traditional customs are being mangled in favour of Politifecal Correctness (ie how Christmas, Halloween etc are (not)celebrated in our schools) then religions that expect such concessions from us should damn well be willing to concede a few of their own customs that might be offensive to us... like... oh I dunno... carrying concealed friggin weapons to public events?!?!!

This is one of the most blatant examples of PC hypocrisy I've ever heard of. It really pissed me off. :angryfire:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I was always under the impression that religious freedom meant freedom to practise, and freedom from government suppression, in places that one is entitle or obligated to be (school, work, etc), but, not the freedom to practise/express religion in places that one isn't 'entitled' to. No one is entitled or obligated to go to the Olympics. They go by choice, and only as allowed by tickets, etc. Freedom of religion doesn't apply there, imo.