Indian god statue at Calgary zoo offends Christian group

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Well, the religious right is at it again. Apparently, there is a statue of Hindu God Ganesh at Calgary Zoo. The statue has been there for two years, it didn’t bother anybody. But now a small religious right group, Concerned Christians Canada (it wouldn't surprise me if it is an offshoot of some American group)has taken offense at it.

The group sent a letter to the zoo earlier this week, calling the statue an image of a Hindu god that has no place in the publicly funded zoo.

Zoo officials say they have no plans to replace the Ganesh statue - despite calls for its removal from Concerned Christians Canada.

The issue first arose after the Concerned Christian group was approached by some zoo visitors upset over the elephant statue.

Grahame Newton, the zoo's director of corporate services, says the Ganesh statue isn't a religious icon, rather a cultural symbol that shows the tie between the elephants and Asian culture.

Personally, I don’t see anything wrong with the statue; it is a colorful, interesting statue. But if CCC is that much concerned about it, let them go to the courts and let the courts settle the issue.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
That is a very ugly statue. I would remove it too, can't imagine that thing in a
zoo.
Lets see, where would I put it, maybe the circus? then figure out how to 'rig' up
a woman to play the role, and charge people to come in and see her, suck everyone in, they would come in droves.

However, my reasons would have nothing to do with christians.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Maybe it's the swastika at its feet?

Yeah, that's an interesting little addition, hmmm, should get rid of that,
doesn't matter where statue goes, or not, what is the statement with the
swastika, how does that tie in to the statue, and who is responsible for it.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Yeah, that's an interesting little addition, hmmm, should get rid of that,
doesn't matter where statue goes, or not, what is the statement with the
swastika, how does that tie in to the statue, and who is responsible for it.

that symbol was used in other cultures long before the Nazis used it. I don't think a religion should have to give up its iconography because of misappropriation by someone else.

a little history on it... http://www.religionfacts.com/hinduism/symbols/swastika.htm

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
In my view... there is a very real cultural tie in, between this religious symbol, and the exhibit at the zoo. I think it's ridiculous to expect it removed. BUT... I can see why it would tick off people who, more and more, face the abject expulsion of any Christian cultural symbol from anything publicly funded.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Well, the religious right is at it again. Apparently, there is a statue of Hindu God Ganesh at Calgary Zoo. The statue has been there for two years, it didn’t bother anybody. But now a small religious right group, Concerned Christians Canada (it wouldn't surprise me if it is an offshoot of some American group)has taken offense at it.

The group sent a letter to the zoo earlier this week, calling the statue an image of a Hindu god that has no place in the publicly funded zoo.

Zoo officials say they have no plans to replace the Ganesh statue - despite calls for its removal from Concerned Christians Canada.

The issue first arose after the Concerned Christian group was approached by some zoo visitors upset over the elephant statue.

Grahame Newton, the zoo's director of corporate services, says the Ganesh statue isn't a religious icon, rather a cultural symbol that shows the tie between the elephants and Asian culture.

Personally, I don’t see anything wrong with the statue; it is a colorful, interesting statue. But if CCC is that much concerned about it, let them go to the courts and let the courts settle the issue.

SJP

Did you read the full article?

The artist who created the statue was also asked to strip certain religious symbols associated with the god, he added.
Newton called the Concerned Christians' approach ``the views of a very small minority.
``We don't cater to any particular religion.''

So with the icons removed it does not depict the God - Stirring up shiite again are we - Wish you despised repeat violent criminals as much as you despise Christians.

Last edited:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Here is the statue in question:

I can see the CCC point though. If we're going to purge all religious symbols from public spaces, then other religious symbols are fair game. I'm not a religious follower, but I do resent some of the symbols of Christmas being removed from public spaces. I don't need to believe in Christ to appreciate the message of the Christmas season, or the cultural evolution of our society. They're just as cultural to me I'm sure as Ganesh is to a person similar to me in the land of Shiva and Parvati.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Totally... aside from being a statue of Ganesh, it's hardly a statue of Ganesh. lol.
Not only are the religious icons removed, so were two of his/her arms. If it was a religious icon, I would think Hindus would be up in arms about the amputation.;-)

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Not only are the religious icons removed, so were two of his/her arms. If it was a religious icon, I would think Hindus would be up in arms about the amputation.;-)

lol. I'm sure if I petitioned to have an 'artistic rendering of a manger scene' set up at city hall, with armless pottery pillars to represent the participants, it would be seen as 'religious' regardless of the minor changes.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
There are always people eager to be offended by stuff, and there are likewise lots of people eager to be outraged by some group that is offended, and ready to post some indignant blather on the net.

We'd all be far better off if we all ignored this crap.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
There are always people eager to be offended by stuff, and there are likewise lots of people eager to be outraged by some group that is offended, and ready to post some indignant blather on the net.

We'd all be far better off if we all ignored this crap.

BINGO!!!!!

Two points for the sensible guy from Saint John.......seems to be a lot of that around here..... :)

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
If those christians were secure in their faith they would have no objection. Either that or they don't have anything better to do with their lives than look for symbols to complain about. They would be better off going after other religious symbols or beliefs contrary to our way of life.

Also the ancient swastika symbolizes LIGHT, LOVE AND LIFE.
swastika as love symbol - Bing