Rude: Where Are Our Manners

Did you watch the video linked to the original post?

• I watched all or some of the video.

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • I didn't watch the video.

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I caught a doco this afternoon on the CBC Doc Zone about being Rude and what has happened to our manners. So naturally I thought of a couple of places on the Net. ;-)

It's a bigger problem than just trolling here and giving someone the finger for cutting you off.

I'm always being shocked. No one signals, people don't say hello back when you pass them in the park, people walk three abreast on the sidewalk and don't move for anyone. Who says excuse me or sorry or thank you anymore? -Valerie Pringle

The whole program is available online to watch. Thoughts.

Rude: Where are our Manners - Doc Zone | CBC-TV

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
manners are contagious, even the poor ones. If you're irritated with how many rude people there are around you, sometimes it pays to make sure you're doing everything in your power to ensure that you're not adding to the problem, but rather, trying to correct it.

I sat and listened to a tired, clearly ill, store clerk get bitched out by a lady at a health food store today for roughly five minutes. When the woman finally left, my brother and I turned on every damn ounce of charm we had with that poor clerk, and ended up leaving with a promise to bring back a recipe another day for her because she was quizzing me on what I was buying a certain product for. Hopefully it helped outweigh the bitch before us, and prevent her from passing the bitchy mood on to the next customer to come through the door.

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia
we aren't allowed to teach the young manners or respect anymore......some-one labled it child-abuse

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
About an hour or so ago I went into town and got my mail at the old govt. post office that has to be 80 years old,the doors are very stiff but anyways I go in and there's an elderly gal slowly making her way to the door,maybe 30 feet away and not moving very fast,no one around but me so I waited by the door with my hand on it to signal my intention I would open the door for her,she looked surprised at first and then happy and said thank you after leaving the building.
That made my day but I also could see the surprise in her eyes that I could actually spare ten seconds of my time for her instead of like some of the younger folks who cant fart without text messaging ten of their buds that they just did.

Things are changing,peeps are in too much of a rush now.
I remember it was only a few years ago in my small burg that the person you stopped for at a crosswalk waved and you waved back.:-(

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
So, just a few minutes in, and one of the things that struck me is their statement that 'manners' are too often what people expect others to extend to them. :lol:

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Lyrics to Alice Coopers song,No more Mr. Nice guy.:lol:

Well you kind of answered it already in your other post. You feel good. It's part of how you were brought up.

Interesting that the good old days simply weren't that. Though I remember being taught to say, may I, please and thank you. I of course hold the door open for ladies and the next guy coming through. But where does this all brake down?

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Last October, I'm on Avenue road (I think) in Toronto with my wife and daughter around 5 PM and just finished commenting on how Toronto drivers are not courteous as the drivers in Ottawa......when within a half hour two of them made a liar out of me...first when I signaled a lane change ...then when I tried to get onto an exit lane....go figure...

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Driving is another one of the many instances where we have a huge capacity to make the people around prove us right. Being uptight and aggressive makes other drivers uptight and aggressive.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Last October, I'm on Avenue road (I think) in Toronto with my wife and daughter around 5 PM and just finished commenting on how Toronto drivers are not courteous as the drivers in Ottawa......when within a half hour two of them made a liar out of me...first when I signaled a lane change ...then when I tried to get onto an exit lane....go figure...
Today my husband and I were delivering a truck we sold. We forgot the house number at home so we were kind of guessing at it. We were in two vehicles of course and twice when we pulled over to do a # check, someone behine had to lean on the horn loud enough for the world to hear.
Having good manners is coupled with the ability to a little humility - in other words, saying your sorry instead of making a rude or crude comment. I rarely have rude things said to me on my job but I find it rude when people talk on their phone all the way through their purchase. I also find it rude when husbands start to pack their own bags and their wife nudges them in the ribs saying "let her do it" or "it's her job". I highly appreciate the men and women who can see that I have a line up and I'm really busy, so they come around the counter and pack their own groceries. Saves all of us time. Stores don't really hire packers anymore.
Anyone can lash out at someone. It takes manners to ignore what is considered a dumb comment, a spelling error (we all make them) or an error in judgment. If you can by pass those things, you have joined the adult world.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Anyone can lash out at someone. It takes manners to ignore what is considered a dumb comment, a spelling error (we all make them) or an error in judgment. If you can by pass those things, you have joined the adult world.

amen to that.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Respect is earned or it can be beaten into you behind the woodshed by your father or in the kitchen by your mother with the dreaded wooden spoon.

Or it could be at one time,respecting others means treating them like you would want to be treated,unless their total assholes.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Respect is earned or it can be beaten into you behind the woodshed by your father or in the kitchen by your mother with the dreaded wooden spoon.

Or it could be at one time,respecting others means treating them like you would want to be treated,unless their total assholes.
Yes, respect can be earned but some people won't let you earn it. They are too full of their own misery. I have an older man who comes in the store about 3 times a week. I say "Good Morning". He doesn't say a word. For the first couple of months I thought he couldn't speak. He will not speak unless he thinks I may have charged him wrong. He carries a scowl on his face as he makes his purchase and shuffles out for the next time. Oddly enough, he nearly always comes through my till.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

If spankings are the cure for self centredness, then I would agree. But spank your kid all you want, if they're not taught by example how to approach the world with a eye for improving it for others, then they'll never learn it. Perhaps that's part of the 'downfall' that we see... as parents got more busy, they decided that the spankings were what had instilled respect, rather than their parents' actions in the world. As they got less polite (I'm sorry, baby boomers may look down their noses, but, they aren't perfect either) and more rushed, they simply forgot to pass on the stuff that was supposed to go along with the spankings.