Human rights court throws out salami protest

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Human rights court throws out salami protest
Vancouver Sun Human rights court throws out salami protest
August 7, 2009 4:01 PM

COQUITLAM, B.C. — A Muslim couple's beef over the salami at a B.C. grocery store
has been dismissed by the BC Human Rights Tribunal.

William and Micheline Issa filed a complaint with the tribunal on behalf of
themselves and their three children, saying the Real Canadian Superstore in the
Vancouver suburb of Coquitlam served them salami containing pork a year ago.

The couple said they eat only 100 per cent beef salami, as consuming pork would
violate their religious beliefs.

The tribunal heard that a deli assistant admitted she mistakenly gave the family
salami that contained pork but said the couple told workers of the error before
receiving the meat.

The Issas said in the complaint that they were concerned they had previously been
served salami containing pork.

Loblaws, which owns the store, had offered to settle the complaint by paying the
couple $5,000 for injury to dignity, feelings and self-respect, and giving another
$5,000 to a charity of the couple's choice.

BC Human Rights Tribunal chair Heather McNaughton dismissed the complaint,
citing the "reasonable" settlement, the fact that the deli assistant merely made an
error and the lack of proof that the family was previously served pork salami.

"They continue to shop at the Superstore and to purchase all-beef salami from the
deli," the chair wrote.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Despite the fact that lately I almost exclusively buy my meat at halal butchers, I have to say, if you want this sort of mistake to be guaranteed not to happen, move to a Muslim country. Don't live here. Or, buy entirely whole, unprocessed foods. Because here, your food could have any manner of byproducts in it. Vegans accidentally consume meat and dairy, people with allergies accidentally consume nut products... the list goes on and on.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Despite the fact that lately I almost exclusively buy my meat at halal butchers, I have to say, if you want this sort of mistake to be guaranteed not to happen, move to a Muslim country. Don't live here. Or, buy entirely whole, unprocessed foods. Because here, your food could have any manner of byproducts in it. Vegans accidentally consume meat and dairy, people with allergies accidentally consume nut products... the list goes on and on.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
lol... that's awesome.

At the one halal deli by my house, I can buy goat stew. I have yet to get up the nerve to try eating goat.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
lol... that's awesome.

At the one halal deli by my house, I can buy goat stew. I have yet to get up the nerve to try eating goat.

I've only had it roasted (about 10-12 hours over a pit on a spit) with a
marinade pained on (olive oil, garlic, spices) about every 15 minutes
(between drinks). Fantastic!!!

This is a Lamb....a Goat looks the same...just much longer like a Greyhound,
with a longer (pun intended) cooking time.

Last edited:

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007

There was a test study done though most of the information has passed out of memory for me, that indicated if done correctly, Halal method doesn't cause any of the pain or fear that is sometimes induced in bolt stunned animals slaughtered for consumption.

I preffer to use exclusivly Halal meats when I can. Having a large Muslim population forming near where I live allows for more selection within walking distance from home.

The one thing that bothers me is falsely labeled Halal food. I think inspection should be much better and the punishment, for what amounts to fraud, should be more severe.