Canada Pays More For Monarchy Than UK

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Another reason to dump the monarchy from our constitution. The cost is getting out of hand.

Queen costs us more than the Brits pay - Canada - Macleans.ca
Queen costs us more than the Brits pay

Over the past 10 years, the Canadian cost of supporting the monarchy has more than doubled

Robert Finch has a favourite saying: “For the price of a cup of coffee, Canadians can enjoy the stability of the Crown.” By this, the chief operating officer of the Monarchist League of Canada means that the monarchy costs Canadians only $1.53 per capita each year, about the price of a large cup of joe at Tim Hortons. But in fact, Canadians are now paying more per capita to support the Queen than the British are.

According to the latest figures out of Buckingham Palace, while Canadians are shelling out $1.53 per capita, the British are only paying about $1.32. And the Monarchist League’s own numbers show the Canadian cost is skyrocketing. Over just the last 10 years, the per capita bill for supporting the monarchist framework— including expenses incurred by the royal clan on Canadian soil, as well as the cost of running the offices of the Governor General and our 10 provincial lieutenant-governors—has more than doubled.

Finch says that the climbing costs reflect the fact that the Queen’s reps are taking on more active roles, with heightened responsibility and more travel time. While that might be costing Canadians a few extra pennies, he stresses that the monarchy “is not a very expensive operation.” But Tom Freda, national director of Citizens for a Canadian Republic, is not so sure. “Ah, the Monarchists. They love to break it down to per capita and make it sound all nice and rosy,” he says. “But $40 million or $50 million [a year] sure sounds like a lot to me.” The Monarchist League supports that figure, estimating that about $50,147,000 was spent during the 2006-07 year.

The problem, Freda says, is that Canada effectively has two heads of state: the Queen and the Governor General, as well as a band of provincial reps. And that overlap creates “redundant and obsolete positions” that end up costing Canadian taxpayers big bucks. The Queen’s agents need to learn a lesson in frugality during these tough times, he argues, especially since most of the work done by the lieutenant-governors is already handled by deputy premiers and other officials. Freda says it is “exorbitant,” for example, that the Ontario lieutenant-governor employs nine staff members, and “shocking” that the B.C. office shells out piles of cash each year to run a 102-room official residence for its lieutenant-governor. As for the “highly irrelevant” Governor General? “The Governor General has literary awards and cuts ribbons and plants trees and travels to Nunavut and eats seal meat. But what else?”

Finch counters that the Crown’s stabilizing presence is worth the money. He accounts for Canadians’ more sizable bill with more mundane explanations: our smaller population, for instance. He also explains that Brits have the home court advantage when it comes to the monarchy, since the U.K. receives income tax from royal estates and we don’t. In the end, it’s a small price to pay, he says, to safeguard Canada’s democratic tradition.
Despite such arguments, it seems like Freda and his Canadian Republicans are winning in the court of public opinion. According to a Canada Day poll by Strategic Council, only 30 per cent of Canadians feel a connection to the Queen or Governor General. And 65 per cent think ties to the monarchy should be cut once the Queen dies.

Freda cites numbers like that as support for his group’s radical proposal to completely overhaul the system. He calls for the Governor General to be replaced by “a wholly Canadian institution”—an independent head of state, accountable only to Canadians. Sure, he admits, that would still cost money. “But Canadians wouldn’t mind spending on an institution that they can call their own.”

While $1.53 may not get you very far at Tim Hortons, Freda hopes the escalating cost of supporting the Queen will set the wheels of change in motion. It’s not even about the money, he says. “It’s the 21st century. If we’re going to be an independent country, we bloody well better act like it.”

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
According to the latest figures out of Buckingham Palace, while Canadians are shelling out $1.53 per capita, the British are only paying about $1.32.

Surely that is quibbling, both the amounts are small. Besides, Britain has twice the population of Canada, so in dollar terms, Britain is spending almost twice as much as Canada.

I don’t have strong views on monarchy. If we didn’t have the monarchy and if we had a referendum to introduce monarchy to Canada, I probably would vote against the idea. However, now that we already have the monarchy, I need a good reason to get rid of it, and I haven’t seen one yet.

So if a referendum is held today, I would vote against getting rid of monarchy.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
There are about twice as many of them. Therefore, they, as a country, are paying more.

You want a title like, "A Canadian, on average, pays more for the monarchy than a UK citizen."

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Anything that countervails that massive, grasping, centripetal force to the south of us is worth paying for.

It seems that Great Britain was duped pretty easily into the Iraq war, the Monarchy failed them there but somehow the Monarchy prevented Canada from being duped? Yes, it must be the Monarchy, the great counterbalance. :roll:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
ok..... let's hear what you guys propose to replace the Monarchy, including the costs of the replacement, transition etc, and the anual costs that the replacement would incure.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
It seems that Great Britain was duped pretty easily into the Iraq war, the Monarchy failed them there but somehow the Monarchy prevented Canada from being duped? Yes, it must be the Monarchy, the great counterbalance. :roll:

That was not monarchy, that was Chretien.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
As far as I am concerned if it costs us one penny each it should be dropped. They want a presence here pay for it, hire an ambassador. Rather embarrassing to be a colony when we are trying to convince the rest of the world that we are an economic power.
We don't really need a replacement, just change some legal wording. A prime minister works just fine. At least that is an elected position. Not passed down from one inbred poodle to another.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
As far as I am concerned if it costs us one penny each it should be dropped. They want a presence here pay for it, hire an ambassador. Rather embarrassing to be a colony when we are trying to convince the rest of the world that we are an economic power.
We don't really need a replacement, just change some legal wording. A prime minister works just fine. At least that is an elected position. Not passed down from one inbred poodle to another.

You don't have a clue, do you.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
The governor general presides over the swearing-in of the prime minister, the Chief Justice of Canada and cabinet ministers.
Some judge could do that.
One of the governor general’s most important responsibilities is to ensure that Canada always has a prime minister and a government in place.
Voters can do that.
In the case of the death of a prime minister, it is the governor general’s responsibility to ensure the continuity of government.
Deputy PM can do that.
The governor general has important parliamentary responsibilities. Canada’s Parliament consists of three parts: the House of Commons, the Senate and the governor general. It is the governor general who summons Parliament, sets out the government’s program by reading the Speech from the Throne, and gives Royal Assent, which makes acts of Parliament into law.
One of my daught4ers with her cellphone can summon parliament and read a speech and could probably give Queenie a dingle and get the approval.
The governor general signs official documents and meets regularly with the prime minister and government officials. She has the right to be consulted, to encourage and to warn.[/quopte]Warnings and stuff haven't done any good yet.
The governor general is Commander-in-Chief of the Canadian Forces and, in that capacity, visits military bases and Canadian peacekeepers at home and abroad, encouraging and honouring Canadian military personnel.
I bet the boys n girls would rather have a visit from a couple peelers.
The governor general receives Royal visitors, heads of State and other prominent guests. She accepts the credentials of new ambassadors who represent their respective countries in Canada.
A good hotel clerk could receive people.
In her State visits abroad, the governor general leads delegations reflecting a broad range of Canadian interests, accomplishments and expertise.
Anyone can wander about the planet bragging about Canuckville.
The governor general is Chancellor of the Order of Canada and the Order of Military Merit. The governor general presents honours and awards on behalf of all Canadians to recognize people who have demonstrated excellence, courage or exceptional dedication to service that brings credit to the country. The Order of Canada recognizes lifetime achievement; the Meritorious Service Decorations recognize exceptional deeds or activities; the Governor General’s Caring Canadian Award recognizes selfless voluntarism; the Decorations for Bravery recognize acts of courage performed in dangerous situations; and the Northern Medal recognizes achievements that have contributed to the evolution and reaffirmation of the Canadian North as part of our national identity.
No-one else can give a person a medal? lol
For more than 130 years, Canada’s governors general have established a tradition of encouraging excellence, establishing more than 60 awards and trophies in the arts, social sciences, humanities and sports.
The governor general encourages Canadians to build a compassionate society, and to continue to work together in fostering strong and caring communities. She welcomes Canadians to Rideau Hall and at La Citadelle in Quebec City, and meets them when she visits provinces and territories. She participates in community events and listens to the concerns of Canadians. The governor general promotes our national identity and unity.
And how much does a GG get for being a fancy hostessand medal giver and braggart about Canuckville?
$10.3 million in 1995, $35 million in 2002, etc. I can imagine the figure has tripled again in the last 7 years.
How would you like to be a fancy host/hostess and get a large chunk of cash like $105 million a year to play with?
I'd rather hire a normal person and spend the rest of doctors, nurses, etc.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I am against the monarchy on the grounds that I believe all people are created equal and in the 21st century, it is ridiculous to suggest that Liz or Chuck can rule over me because of who their daddy was.

That said, we are Canadians and we will never be able to agree on how to replace it or even if we should replace it. I suggest we let them keep their jobs but they must run off of donations. That way I don't have to pay.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Yeah, I'm with you on the donation idea. Let them do their own fundraising instead of leeching off taxpayers. Give them 40K a year and tell em to have at it.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Anna, whether ‘some judge could do that’, ‘voters could do that’, or ‘deputy PM could do that’ is not the point. If we didn’t have the monarchy, sure other persons could take over its functions, there are many countries in the world which do just fine without monarchy.

But the point is, we already have the monarchy. You know what they say, possession is 9/10th of the law. Unless the alternative is much better, I don’t see any point in getting rid of monarchy and replacing it by something else.

Monarchy is functioning quite adequately, and that is good enough for me. If an employee is doing a satisfactory job, you don’t fire him and hire somebody else.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Nuts. It doesn't have much of a job and it is grossly overpaid. As I said I'd rather pay a hotel clerk to welcome people and hand out a medal and give the rest of the money over for medicine or something worthwhile. Monachy is a joke, and an expensive one.
Some businessman you are. lol
You'd keep an employee and pay them millions rather than pay someone else that could do the same job for a few dozen g-notes? hilarious :lol:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I just want to pont out one small thing here...The GG is not elected, the GG is a non partisan appointment. The GG is the Queens rep and as such is considered our head of state. This is a position that the PM can NOT take over. The main reason is that the PM is a non elected partisan appointment. If you are going to replace the GG then I would assume you would want to replace the GG with someone that is elected by the people of Canada.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
You'd keep an employee and pay them millions rather than pay someone else that could do the same job for a few dozen g-notes?

You don’t know how much it will cost to replace monarchy, Anna. That is only speculation. And I don’t think there will be a general agreement as to what should replace monarchy anyway.

No, my guess is that Canadians will oppose any attempt to replace the monarchy. They tried it in Australia and it failed miserably (anti-monarchists held a referendum and lost it convincingly). As they say, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Good grief, no way. We have too many politicians as it is for what we get out of them. I already suggested we could use a professional greeter, like a hotel clerk.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
You'd keep an employee and pay them millions rather than pay someone else that could do the same job for a few dozen g-notes?

You don’t know how much it will cost to replace monarchy, Anna. That is only speculation. And I don’t think there will be a general agreement as to what should replace monarchy anyway.

No, my guess is that Canadians will oppose any attempt to replace the monarchy. They tried it in Australia and it failed miserably (anti-monarchists held a referendum and lost it convincingly). As they say, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
I don't care what Canadians would do.
If you are some sort of expert on monarchies, you explain how much it would cost to get rid of it. With supporting links, please.
Seems to me other countries use ambassadors to go brag about Canada elsewhere. Their heads of state greet important visitors. Presidents hand out medals.
Monarchy is an expensive bunch of pomposity with little use.