Ignatieff proposal risks boosting seasonal unemployment

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
OTTAWA - Some economists and small business leaders fear Michael Ignatieff is trying to revive employment insurance reforms that proved disastrous to the economy and Liberal political fortunes 38 years ago.
The Liberal leader is pushing the minority Harper government to adopt a single national standard of 360 hours - or nine weeks - of work to qualify for jobless benefits.
That's very close to the eight-week eligibility rule introduced by Pierre Trudeau's Liberals in 1971, sparking a spike in seasonal unemployment and an electoral backlash that helped cost Trudeau his majority in the 1972 election.
"What happened in '71 to my mind was a policy catastrophe," says University of Ottawa economist David Gray.
To repeat it today "would just be catastrophic for the Canadian economy."
Back in 1971, the reforms introduced by then-labour minister Bryce Mackasey were blamed for actually increasing the unemployment rate by one to two percentage points. The ranks of seasonal workers swelled as employees, aided and abetted by employers who adjusted their contracts, worked the minimum eight-week qualifying period and went on the dole.
"It opened the floodgates," says Catherine Swift, president of the Canadian Federation of Independent Business.
"The number (of seasonal fishermen) doubled overnight, literally, because suddenly the dole was available."
The small-business group, then in its infancy and headed by John Bulloch, led a crusade against Mackasey's '71 reforms. Governments have been tinkering with the EI system ever since, trying to unravel some of the unintended consequences.
Now, Swift says the CFIB is on the warpath once again, fighting Ignatieff's proposed 360-hour eligibility standard, which she dismisses as "just ludicrous."
"You're just asking for abuse of the system."
Bulloch is looking on in amazement at the way history seems to be repeating itself.
"This is how parties stumble onto dumb things. They don't do their history," he muses.
But Liberals insist they've done their homework and have included measures to prevent a repeat.
For instance, Ignatieff's 360 hours is to be a temporary eligibility standard only, just until the economy recovers sufficiently to start creating jobs again.
"It doesn't create (labour force and economic) distortion if it's a temporary measure," says Montreal MP Marlene Jennings, a Liberal member of the bipartisan working group currently negotiating EI reforms.
The Tories have characterized Ignatieff's proposal as amounting to almost a year's worth of EI benefits for only nine weeks of work - which Liberals dismiss as "nonsense."
While they haven't worked out all the details, Liberals say a person with 360 hours would be eligible for no more than 19 to 37 weeks of benefits - the same duration as now applies to those with the current minimum of 420 hours.
As part of their negotiations with Prime Minister Stephen Harper's Conservatives, Jennings says Liberals have asked departmental officials to explore a variety of scenarios, including:
-A minimum of 19 weeks of benefits regardless of the unemployment rate in a recipient's local area.
-A minimum benefit period of less than 19 weeks.
-Pegging the duration of benefits to local unemployment rates, possibly setting a threshold, for instance, of 10 per cent unemployment before benefits would flow.
Until such details are settled, economists acknowledge it's difficult to assess what impact the Liberals' reform proposal might have. But they're not particularly reassured by the promise that the 360-hour threshold would be temporary.
"I've watched the machinations around the unemployment insurance regime for the better part of 20 years now," says Gray.
"And it's so easy to expand coverage and every time they try to tighten it in the slightest way it elicits political pressure that is often efficacious."
Unless the duration of benefits is kept very short and repeat usage is strictly limited, Gray also worries that Ignatieff's proposal could turn the current pockets of structural seasonal unemployment in places like New Brunswick and Newfoundland and Labrador into a nationwide phenomenon.
"We'll have the EI trap in all of the Canadian labour force instead of in only three or four per cent of the Canadian labour force," he says.
Colin Busby, policy analyst with the C.D. Howe Institute, agrees that lowering the entrance requirement in traditionally low unemployment provinces like Ontario, Alberta and British Columbia "could create seasonal unemployment where maybe it didn't exist before."
"The consequence of lowering (the minimum threshold) ... in places like Alberta from 700 hours in most places to all of a sudden 360, well, you know what, it's likely that you'll create more forms of seasonal unemployment over time," Busby says.
Both Gray and Busby agree it's unfair and illogical to have 58 different requirements - from 420 to 700 hours of work - for qualifying for EI benefits, depending on local unemployment rates. And they agree in principle with Ignatieff's demand for a single national standard.
However, they're concerned that 360 hours would be setting the bar too low. Both suggest the standard should be something higher than the current minimum of 420 hours.
Swift isn't sold on the idea of a single national standard at all. She suggests the system could be made more equitable by reducing the 58 different entry requirements. At the same time, she'd raise the minimum threshold to something more than 420 hours.
"I don't know what the magic number would be there, but it would be a heck of a lot higher than 360."

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
360 hrs is only about a month and a half of work for almost five months paid holiday. Not bad. Did King Iggy say who was going to pay for it?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Iggy just seized on the EI thing because he could propose a popular idea in order to get votes from the unemployed, the soon to be unemployed, the employed that are thinking they'd be soon unemployed, and the families of the above. I doubt he gives any more consideration to Canadians than Harpy.
Anyway, the taxpayer would be on the hook for all this generosity, putting an even greater burden on those that remain working. Yes?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I totally oppose this idea of Iggy's. Give the unemployed vouchers to go to school to study some trade or profession, to give them a hand up. More EI money is just a hand out. I'm not necessarily opposed to hand-outs as long as they are attached to hand-ups.

Give a man a fish... you know the rest of it.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
You want a man to play with his fish?

What does that have to do with EI reforms?

Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man how to fish, and you'll feed him for a lifetime.

I totally oppose giving more money to the unemployed beyond covering the necessities of life, as that simply fuels independence. That's equal to just hading him a fish.

If, instead, we give him a school voucher to cash in at a school to learn a trade or provfession, then we could help him to end the cycle of unemployment. besides, what's wrong with social assistance moneywise? Maybe they could give a little more money towards it, but the main focus oought to eb on helping them get back into the workplace, not giving them a paid holiday.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Giving money for a trade interesting maybe the government should stop interfering with commerce.

A person goes to school to learn a trade to make more money so he does not have to rely on welfare or EI.

He or she learns to cut down trees or learns to catch fish or learns to make textiles or suits or dresses or shoes but the government comes out with stupid laws to make life difficult for these workers like listening to environmentalists about saving trees or putting moratoriums of the fish that one could catch meanwhile the factory ships are scooping up fish near Canadian waters and the government takes the duty off imports of textiles and clothes and shoes that get Canadian companies to set up in foreign countries where they can pay workers minimal wage.

Machjo how often are you going to send them to school to learn another trade so the government can sccrew them again by getting rid of their industry.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Has everyone here forgotten that the E.I. has a surplus of around fifty or sixty billion dollars. That is certainly enough to take care of what Ignatieff wants to do.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Giving money for a trade interesting maybe the government should stop interfering with commerce.

A person goes to school to learn a trade to make more money so he does not have to rely on welfare or EI.

He or she learns to cut down trees or learns to catch fish or learns to make textiles or suits or dresses or shoes but the government comes out with stupid laws to make life difficult for these workers like listening to environmentalists about saving trees or putting moratoriums of the fish that one could catch meanwhile the factory ships are scooping up fish near Canadian waters and the government takes the duty off imports of textiles and clothes and shoes that get Canadian companies to set up in foreign countries where they can pay workers minimal wage.

Machjo how often are you going to send them to school to learn another trade so the government can sccrew them again by getting rid of their industry.

I fully agree with removing unreasonable barriers to employment. That does not negate the idea that we need to give hand-ups, not hand-outs, which is what EI is. Give them school vouchers if we want to give them more money, not just give them more money for the sake of giving them more money.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Has everyone here forgotten that the E.I. has a surplus of around fifty or sixty billion dollars. That is certainly enough to take care of what Ignatieff wants to do.

Just because we can do it doesn't mean we should. Instead, how about transforming that money into school vouchers for the unemployed instead of giving them beer money.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Machjo we have to remember that EI is not welfare it is Employment insurance where workers pay a monthly premium so that if ever they get laid off they can draw money to live on until they get a job.

Are you suggesting a school voucher on top of what they are getting through EI?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Just because we can do it doesn't mean we should. Instead, how about transforming that money into school vouchers for the unemployed instead of giving them beer money.

E.I., the way it stands now, is not nearly enough to be beer money. E.I. is barely enough to shelter and feed a small family.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Machjo we have to remember that EI is not welfare it is Employment insurance where workers pay a monthly premium so that if ever they get laid off they can draw money to live on until they get a job.

Are you suggesting a school voucher on top of what they are getting through EI?

Either instead or on top of. I think I'd prefer instead, but if as Juan says it's too little already, then maybe on top of. I'm undecided on that one. But clearly there's no pint wasting their time sitting at home while collecting EI. If you're not working, then yo should be upgrading your skills. For any able-bodied person, those should be the only two options so as to keep them productive at all times.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
In short, never should anyone be forced into idleness. If he's not working, he's studying. If he's not studying, he's working.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
In short, never should anyone be forced into idleness. If he's not working, he's studying. If he's not studying, he's working.

From the looks of the surplus, we could pay people to go to school if it got them a steady job. If a person has the talent, he/she shouldn't be penalized because they can't afford to go to school. I don't propose that we pay for university degrees but there are diploma courses at the tech schools and community colleges that could be a real help to get a job. Treat it as some kind of student loan where the student might pay back part of the money.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
From the looks of the surplus, we could pay people to go to school if it got them a steady job. If a person has the talent, he/she shouldn't be penalized because they can't afford to go to school. I don't propose that we pay for university degrees but there are diploma courses at the tech schools and community colleges that could be a real help to get a job. Treat it as some kind of student loan where the student might pay back part of the money.

No, not a student loan. It's either free or not at all. If it becomes a student loan system, it risks causing problems later on if the person ends up facing personal issues, or family issues, or health issues, etc. It could risk hurting him more than helping him depending on circumstances. Unless of course there is some kind of excape clause whereby certain health, be it physical or emotional or psychological, or certain other unexpected events could allow the person to drop the debt. Government is there to help, not hinder people. If it's not going to help, then don't give the money.

Education and knowledge, though, should be accessible to all. So I'd say if we give a voucher, then we give it, not lend it. But as for raising government monetary handouts, that's a different story, then we should give only what they need.

We should bear in mind too that if a person is unemployed, he obviously doesn't have alot of money likely, sowe're going to add a debt to his worries? No wonder the birth rate is dropping like a rock in this country. If the poor decide not to have kids because they can't afford it, or because of too much stress, then the rich had better start looking for immigrants to maintain the population.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
As for university, I could see the governement even paying for that if the person shows considerable promise and a passionate desire to use that knowledge to serve others without regard to money.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
As for that university tuition though, that would of course be reserved for special cases only.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
E.I., the way it stands now, is not nearly enough to be beer money. E.I. is barely enough to shelter and feed a small family.
Funny, all this time we have worked and been able to keep up with daily living costs and yet have some left over to invest or save. I would have thought that EI would cover daily living costs. People live beyond their means these days. Why should someone get their living expenses paid for and yet have more in their check to go buy booze and cigarettes? I understood that EI is a safety net, not a source of income.