Armed and ready to protect One: Meet the first Sikh soldiers to guard the Queen

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The two proud young British soldiers wear their smart uniforms with pride as they go about the task of guarding their country's Head of State and the Crown Jewels.

Armed with loaded rifles, it won't be a good idea to mess with these two.

Signaler Simranjit Singh, 26, and Lance Corporal Sarvjit Singh, 28, are the first Sikh soldiers to guard the Queen.

They even wear turbans, proudly sporting the badges of their regiments, which Sikhs must wear most of the time.

Armed and ready to protect One: Meet the first Sikh soldiers to guard the Queen

By Daily Mail Reporter
28th July 2009
Daily Mail

These are the first two Sikh soldiers to have the honour of guarding the Queen.

Signaler Simranjit Singh, 26, and Lance Corporal Sarvjit Singh, 28, proudly pose with their guns while on duty in the grounds of Buckingham Palace.

Signaler Singh made history as the very first Sikh soldier to wear his turban on Public Duties guarding the monarch and protecting the Crown Jewels. He was soon joined by Lance Corporal Singh.

On duty: Signaler Simranjit Singh (left) and Lance Corporal Sarvjit Singh (right) are the first Sikh soldiers to guard the Queen

The proud soldier from Coventry enthusiastically took on the duty for the first time in May this year.

He serves with 21st Signal Regiment based in Chippenham, Wiltshire, while Lance Corporal serves with 3rd Regiment Army Air Corps based at Wattisham, Suffolk.

Turbans, long hair and beards are considered a mandatory religious uniform for all Sikhs.

Keeping uncut hair is required according to the Rehat Maryada, the Sikh instruction for living.

Tradition: Turbans, long hair and beards are considered a mandatory religious uniform for all Sikhs

READERS' COMMENTS

Her Majesty is in safe hands with those Two guarding her. Anyone who has any doubts about the credentials of Sikhs, and their allegience to this country should visit the Commonwealth War Graves Commission sites around Europe and the World, as I have. Many thousands of Sikh soldiers have given their lives for this country. This is an Honour that they well deserve.
- Robbo, Penrith.UK

Good for them. There is a long tradition of Sikhs as a warrior caste. First against the British then in the Indian Army and ultimately in the British Armed Forces where they have proved brave,courageous and loyal soldiers. I am sure they will live up to the meaning behind their common surname(Lion) Good luck with your careers.
- Secondhomeless, Wrexham

Very smart they look too.
- Michael, Cambridge

This is what is called a multi-cultural INTERGRATED society!
- Gagandeep, London

I love these guys. Seriously. Well done men!
- Patricia, San Diego, CA USA

Sikh men are known for their courage and victories, so why don't more of them go out to help fight the Taliban - they know just how their minds work which is very important and good sense.
- wendy, Suffolk

dailymail.co.uk

Last edited:

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
I think this is GREAT, the Sikhs have been trying to have the U.S. Military to waive dress and appearance regulations for years.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Sikhs didn't guard Indira Ghandi very well did they.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Oh lookee. There's a bright blue thing bobbing around over there, I think it makes a lovely target. Especially if it's above the red stripes. lol I mean what's the point of clothing your rifle to cut glare if you wear something like that? :D I wonder if he's got one in canary yellow, too.