Is a fetus a Human being?

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
This topic is popping up all over the place, so I thought it could use it's own thread. This premise I came across should get some feedback.

We can start with this:A fetus is a human being. That’s a scientific fact.

BIG BLUE WAVE: A fetus is a human being. That’s a scientific fact

A fetus developing inside a human mother has DNA. It also has a metabolism. Therefore it is a living organism.

Since that DNA is consistent with that of Homo Sapiens (Human Beings), it can't possibly be any other species.

Since the fetus has DNA which is unique to itself, it cannot be anything other than an individual homo sapiens (human being).

Some would bring up the argument of "viability". That is to say that a fetus can't survive on its own outside the womb. To that I would ask, how well can a neonate or infant (or even a toddler) survive on it's own?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
This topic is popping up all over the place, so I thought it could use it's own thread. This premise I came across should get some feedback.

A fetus developing inside a human mother has DNA. It also has a metabolism. Therefore it is a living organism.

Since that DNA is consistent with that of Homo Sapiens (Human Beings), it can't possibly be any other species.

Since the fetus has DNA which is unique to itself, it cannot be anything other than an individual homo sapiens (human being).

Some would bring up the argument of "viability". That is to say that a fetus can't survive on its own outside the womb. To that I would ask, how well can a neonate or infant (or even a toddler) survive on it's own?

Agree, agree, agree. Viability is a red herring. Being dependent on a human doesn't mean a tapeworm isn't a tapeworm either. That's just a simple fact of the organism's place, and in this case, a simple fact that all human beings pass through this stage in their life cycle.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC

A human hair has DNA, should it be considered a human life ?
Identification of genes causing or predisposing to a host of human diseases will revolutionize the practice of medicine and public health in the postgenomic era. Study of the association between genotype and disease risk will also shed light on the genetic and molecular basis of disease. Although lymphocytes and buccal swab have been routinely used as the sources of genomic DNA for genotype analysis, other highly compliant, completely noninvasive and convenient systems for genotyping are of great interest, especially for a population-based genetic screening.
Genotype Analysis Using Human Hair Shaft -- Chang et al. 11 (9): 925 -- Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention

A cancer cell has abnormalities in DNA, should it be considered a separate life ?
Nearly all cancers are caused by abnormalities in the genetic material of the transformed cells. These abnormalities may be due to the effects of carcinogens, such as tobacco smoke, radiation, chemicals, or infectious agents. Other cancer-promoting genetic abnormalities may be randomly acquired through errors in DNA replication, or are inherited, and thus present in all cells from birth. The heritability of cancers are usually affected by complex interactions between carcinogens and the host's genome. New aspects of the genetics of cancer pathogenesis, such as DNA methylation, and microRNAs are increasingly recognized as important.
Cancer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now I have said before and again.. I am only pro-abortion at extreme cases.. I think it should be used only in very limited circumstances..

So I am playing devil's advocate here..

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
If it has the potential, without interruption, of becoming a human being, then it should be legally recognized as a human being.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
A human hair has DNA, should it be considered a human life ?

Genotype Analysis Using Human Hair Shaft -- Chang et al. 11 (9): 925 -- Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention

A cancer cell has abnormalities in DNA, should it be considered a separate life ?

Cancer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now I have said before and again.. I am only pro-abortion at extreme cases.. I think it should be used only in very limited circumstances..

So I am playing devil's advocate here..
That's fine, but you are attempting to pull the same nonsense that Sir Joey tried to pull, undefine a human by using separate parts of it. COMBINING hair, skin, blood, heart, lungs, 2 feet, two ears, human DNA, etc. yes, we can deduct that the living being is a human. With or without the cancer cells.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
If it has the potential, without interruption, of becoming a human being, then it should be legally recognized as a human being.

How do you mean, without interruption? It has to go through many more stages before it can become a human being, many fetuses are miscarried.

The way I look at it is this way. Fetus at conception is definitely not a human being, it shows none of the characteristics of a human being. At birth of course it is a human being. Sometime between conception and birth, it becomes a human being, we don’t know when. So at any given time, say 2 months, 4 months or 6 months, we don’t know if it is a human being.

Since we don’t know if it is a human being, the woman gets the benefit of doubt and should be able to have an abortion or not, as she chooses.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

Is this human?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
How do you mean, without interruption? It has to go through many more stages before it can become a human being, many fetuses are miscarried.

The way I look at it is this way. Fetus at conception is definitely not a human being, it shows none of the characteristics of a human being. At birth of course it is a human being. Sometime between conception and birth, it becomes a human being, we don’t know when. So at any given time, say 2 months, 4 months or 6 months, we don’t know if it is a human being.

Since we don’t know if it is a human being, the woman gets the benefit of doubt and should be able to have an abortion or not, as she chooses.
You've been told before, and it IS scientific fact, that for a short term after conception you have a ZYGOTE, not a fetus. A zygote is a mass of tissue containing the cells that will develop the organs, muscles, etc. of a human. After that comes the embryonic stage and then the fetal stage. Get it yet?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Don't feel bad, Machjo. I can't even see the pic. I wish I could figure that out.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Actually, to me, fetuses look like little aliens that you'd see in the X-files show or something. lol

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

This is plain wrong. No matter how many times you say it, it's still a human being. It is not anything else but a human being. If it is miscarried, then it is a dead human being.

The tool kit science gives us irrevocably points to the fact that it is a human being.

And an infant doesn't resemble an adult. So what? It's a human being from the moment the DNA in the egg and sperm join. After that, it's all biochemistry, and it's all related to how the human being lives, copes, and responds to it's environment. Nothing you can say will change that.

I don't know if you're a human being, but I can only assume. A piece of paper doesn't make you a human being. Your DNA does.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
That's fine, but you are attempting to pull the same nonsense that Sir Joey tried to pull, undefine a human by using separate parts of it. COMBINING hair, skin, blood, heart, lungs, 2 feet, two ears, human DNA, etc. yes, we can deduct that the living being is a human. With or without the cancer cells.

I know I am splitting hairs here.. Ha ha ha ( sorry I could hep using that line.. :lol: )

But when does it have two feet, lungs, ears and so one. When the sperm hits the egg ? Are they developed or are we assuming they will happen and what of those who are born without ? Why the exceptions and why do we call them human ?

My wish was that would never be a requirement for any abortion.. But if you ban all abortions you effectively remove that right and you know that any attempt will turn into a trial.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I know I am splitting hairs here.. Ha ha ha ( sorry I could hep using that line.. :lol: )

But when does it have two feet, lungs, ears and so one. When the sperm hits the egg ? Are they developed or are we assuming they will happen and what of those who are born without ? Why the exceptions and why do we call them human ?

My wish was that would never be a requirement for any abortion.. But if you ban all abortions you effectively remove that right and you know that any attempt will turn into a trial.
In the embryonic stage when the baby has implanted into the womb is when the baby develops its organs and the like. That is up to about 8 weeks.
Bu mid pregnancy, a baby has ALL 5 senses working even.