Abortion Stats

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Yeah, best I can find so far has only been as recent as 2004, too. I think it's another thing StatsCan doesn't like to let out.
I wonder how many due to medical reasons such as anencephaly, TSD, or something

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Yeah, best I can find so far has only been as recent as 2004, too. I think it's another thing StatsCan doesn't like to let out.
I wonder how many due to medical reasons such as anencephaly, TSD, or something

Why is that important, Anna? Women get abortions for all kinds of reasons, ranging from health reasons to economic reasons. I don’t think it is important why a woman gets an abortion. Why she does it is between her and her conscious. Whether she gets it is between her and her doctor.

kiwi_NZ

Electoral Member
May 23, 2009
New Zealand
Hmmm, many years ago I was very much against abortion... I changed my tune when I was involved with helping a desperate 15 year old teen go through such a thing...

She was a lovely girl, couldn't face her parents, couldn't tell a soul ... Her family were highly religious and they would disown her if they ever knew...

It was a most unpleasant experience to share and quite the drama to actually get an abortion here in NZ... We went through 6 visits to various groups, counsellors, doctors, clinics etc before the deed was done, paper work like there was no tomorrow and the day came where I drove us to the city to do the deed. Was blardy awful...

We were met by protesters who hammered my car, the clinic waiting room was chocka full! Mostly males actually, partners, Dads, brothers, all support people. More paper work to fill in. Upstairs there were just cubicle rooms side by side, was just dreadful.. My heart sunk numerous times wondering if I was wrongly being involved in the thing! I had to help her, it was her choice, yet against what I believed in...

That was years ago now and to this day I still shudder when I think of what it actually takes to go through an abortion. Not an easy decision to make for any woman, but a decision she must make of her own free will.

Very sad ... I'm on the fence because of the above... Neither for nor against...

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
What is the law in New Zealand, Kiwi? I think abortion is legal, isn’t it? New Zealand is a fairly progressive, liberal country (like Canada), so I assume that abortion is legal there.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
And?...

Gerry, without understanding each case to put individual reproductive matters into context, it really doesn't matter.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
And?...

Gerry, without understanding each case to put individual reproductive matters into context, it really doesn't matter.

well, that certainly does sound impressive. Would those "reproductive matters" include not wanting to get stretch marks? Not wanting to be "inconvenienced" for 9 months?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Why is that important, Anna? Women get abortions for all kinds of reasons, ranging from health reasons to economic reasons. I don’t think it is important why a woman gets an abortion. Why she does it is between her and her conscious. Whether she gets it is between her and her doctor.
I am curious. Obviously, I know there are multiple reasons why abortion is used. I do not need explanations like that. One of the ones I really object to is using abortion as an after-the-fact birth control method. That costs a lot more money than foam or latex or something contraceptive and is a lot more dangerous to a body than an invasive manoeuvre like abortion.
I read once that some country allows abortions but that the vast majority of them were unnecessary. I tend to agree. Although I have an awful lot of compassion for girls or women who go through the abortion issue from one end to the other, I cannot help but think that if some sense had been used, most would not even had gotten pregnant let alone needed an abortion.
Yes, it is between a girl/woman and her doctor. But if the pregnancy was prevented in the first place, the woman/girl wouldn't have to go through the trauma in the first place. I would have thought that would be obvious, also. Is an hour of fun worth months of torment?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Do you suppose there were that many couples between that time looking for a baby to adopt? I think a pro life website should keep statistics like that too...

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Do you suppose there were that many couples between that time looking for a baby to adopt? I think a pro life website should keep statistics like that too...

At this point in time there is a 5 year minimum wait for people wanting to adopt newborns.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I quite agree, Anna, prevention is much better than dealing with it after the fact. It is always better not to smash the china jar, than to smash it and then try to fix it (or much better not to make a mess in the first place than make it and then try to clean it up).

So I have no problem with trying to reduce the number of abortions, by sex education, making contraceptives available, making it easy to adopt etc., However, I am totally opposed to trying to reduce number of abortions by restricting or banning abortions. That way leads to back alley abortions. Plus it is an individual rights, civil rights issue.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
At this point in time there is a 5 year minimum wait for people wanting to adopt newborns.

I know that, but that doesn't really answer my question. I'm wondering how long before all of those unwanted babies are put in lists waiting to go out because the number of unwanted pregnancies now exceeds the number of parents looking to adopt.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I think there are quite a few people looking to adopt. Mr. Sinister is right about those with a particular bent using stats, though.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
many, many couples opt out of the normal wait list for newborns and go the private adoption route. This is alot more expensive but means alot shorter wait. They either end up adopting out of country or they pay a "mother" to continue the prenancy and "take possesion" of the baby at birth.

There are more than enough people out there willing to adopt newborns.

Also, maybe people will think a little harder about their choices if they know that abortion will not be their easy way out.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
It was a 2 year wait here in BC about 5 years ago. A friend has an adopted boy. She and her hubby went to the States and applied for adoption and had a baby at home in about 2 months. Canada is a freakin bureaucratic nightmare.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
many, many couples opt out of the normal wait list for newborns and go the private adoption route. This is alot more expensive but means alot shorter wait. They either end up adopting out of country or they pay a "mother" to continue the prenancy and "take possesion" of the baby at birth.

There are more than enough people out there willing to adopt newborns.

Perhaps you missed the point. If there has been a shortfall for the past decade(s), and all of a sudden there are no longer legal abortions, and presumably pro-lifers would have all unwanted children adopted to loving homes, it's not obvious that this previous trend should continue to be the norm.

That is why I personally would like to see statistics. If you can track both of those categories, then it's much easier to have a clear picture of the what ifs.

Also, maybe people will think a little harder about their choices if they know that abortion will not be their easy way out.

Begging the question. And as has been suggested many times, they often aren't thinking nine months in advance at the time.

The death penalty doesn't stop murders, and outlawing abortions will not stop unwanted pregnancies.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
well, that certainly does sound impressive. Would those "reproductive matters" include not wanting to get stretch marks? Not wanting to be "inconvenienced" for 9 months?
Ya Gerry, that's exactly it.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Ya sure Gerry.

What would be the legal argument for banning it? That the fetus has human rights and has more rights to the woman's body than she does?