Taliban video shows captive US soldier

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
*How dare those mean Taliban capture and hold prisoner an American soldier...what on earth have America done to deserve this??*8O

By PAMELA HESS and LOLITA BALDOR, Associated Press Writers Pamela Hess And Lolita Baldor, Associated Press Writers Sat Jul 18, 7:55 pm

WASHINGTON – The American soldier who went missing June 30 from his base in eastern Afghanistan and was later confirmed to have been captured, appeared on a video posted Saturday to a Web site by the Taliban, two U.S. defense officials said.

The soldier is shown in the 28-minute video with his head shaved and the start of a beard. He is sitting and dressed in a nondescript, gray outfit. Early in the video one of his captors holds the soldier's dog tag up to the camera. His name and ID number are clearly visible. He is shown eating at one point and sitting on a bed.

The soldier, whose identity has not yet been released by the Pentagon pending notification of members of Congress and the soldier's family, says his name, age and hometown on the video, which was released Saturday on a Web site pointed out by the Taliban. Two U.S. defense officials confirmed to The Associated Press that the man in the video is the captured soldier.

The soldier said the date is July 14. He says he was captured when he lagged behind on a patrol.

He is interviewed in English by his captors, and he is asked his views on the war, which he calls extremely hard, his desire to learn more about Islam and the morale of American soldiers, which he said was low.

Asked how he was doing, the soldier said on the video:

"Well I'm scared, scared I won't be able to go home. It is very unnerving to be a prisoner."
He begins to answer questions in a matter-of-fact and sober voice, occasionally facing the camera, looking down and sometimes looking to the questioner on his left.

He later chokes up when discussing his family and his hope to marry his girlfriend.

"I have my girlfriend, who is hoping to marry," he said. "I have a very, very good family that I love back home in America. And I miss them every day when I'm gone. I miss them and I'm afraid that I might not ever see them again and that I'll never be able to tell them that I love them again and I'll never be able to hug them."

He is also prompted his interrogators to give a message to the American people.

"To my fellow Americans who have loved ones over here, who know what it's like to miss them, you have the power to make our government bring them home," he said. "Please, please bring us home so that we can be back where we belong and not over here, wasting our time and our lives and our precious life that we could be using back in our own country. Please bring us home. It is America and American people who have that power."

The video is not a continuous recording — it appears to stop and start during the questioning.

It is unclear from the video whether the July 14 date is authentic. The soldier says that he heard that a Chinook helicopter carrying 37 NATO troops had been shot down over Helmand. A helicopter was shot down in southern Afghanistan on July 14, but it was carrying civilians on a reported humanitarian mission for NATO forces. All six Ukrainian passengers died in the crash, and a child on the ground was killed.

On July 2, the U.S. military said an American soldier had disappeared after walking off his base in eastern Afghanistan with three Afghan counterparts and was believed to have been taken prisoner. A U.S. defense official said the soldier was noticed missing during a routine check of the unit on June 30 and was first listed as "duty status whereabouts unknown."
Details of such incidents are routinely held very tightly by the military as it works to retrieve a missing or captured soldier without giving away any information to captors.

But Afghan Police Gen. Nabi Mullakheil said the soldier went missing in eastern Paktika province near the border with Pakistan from an American base. The region is known to be Taliban-infested.

The most important insurgent group operating in that area is known as Haqqani network and is led by warlord Siraj Haqqani, whom the U.S. has accused of masterminding beheadings and suicide bombings including the July 2008 attack on the Indian Embassy in Kabul that killed some 60 people. The Haqqani group also was linked to an assassination attempt on Afghan president Hamid Karzai early last year.

On Saturday, a U.S. military official in Kabul, Col. Greg Julian, said the U.S. was "still doing everything we can to return him safely."
Julian said U.S. troops had distributed two flyers in the area where the soldier disappeared.

One of them asked for information on the missing soldier and offered a $25,000 reward for his return. The other said "please return our soldier safely" or "we will hunt you," according to Julian.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I read that those flyers were intimidating and promised trouble for the civilians if they didn't cooperate. He should consider himself lucky if he were captured by NATO forces he would be indergoing torture right now.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
The private has a slim chance of getting out of there alive.

The Taliban will behead him I hope not but they will.

If the Taliban does kill the American Private then America's military will go nuts and start killing women and children I only say this because American soldiers have killed Canadian soldiers and not thinking it was a big deal it's just the cost of war.

The American military does not have any mercy not like they portray in the movies that is why they go into harms way.

The Americans are ready to pull out of the region and go home a kidnapping and death of a military private would get Obama to re-think his exit strategy.

The Taliban can take the private to a village close to where the American military are and leave him there.

We have to remember that when America leaves a war that they started they will usually send large amounts of money to re-build the country.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
The private has a slim chance of getting out of there alive.

The Taliban will behead him I hope not but they will.

If the Taliban does kill the American Private then America's military will go nuts and start killing women and children I only say this because American soldiers have killed Canadian soldiers and not thinking it was a big deal it's just the cost of war.

The American military does not have any mercy not like they portray in the movies that is why they go into harms way.

The Americans are ready to pull out of the region and go home a kidnapping and death of a military private would get Obama to re-think his exit strategy.

The Taliban can take the private to a village close to where the American military are and leave him there.

We have to remember that when America leaves a war that they started they will usually send large amounts of money to re-build the country.

They've already killed millions of women and children, they wen't nut years ago. As for leaving rebuild money, you got to be kidding.

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
I heard earlier some American yahoo sargent on BBC news complain about how mean-spirited they, the Taliban, were for video taping and airing it on the internet. It`s not as if they filmed him getting water-boarded tho not a bad idea... might enlighten the American population some of their own crimes.

I read that those flyers were intimidating and promised trouble for the civilians if they didn't cooperate. He should consider himself lucky if he were captured by NATO forces he would be indergoing torture right now.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
His name and ID number are clearly visible.

The soldier, whose identity has not yet been released by the Pentagon pending ....

.......went missing June 30........
It would seem his captors released that info. So in almost 3 weeks the US has not been able to let his family know.........they were waiting for what.

Think how stupid the US and other 'fear-mongers' will appear if they treat him like Iran did the British sailors that got captured and let him go unharmed. Like he would know anything (of importance) if he didn't yet know not to let himself lag behind.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The Taliban could make a lot of points by letting this young man go. My fear is that they will make an example of him, eventually ending up by publically executing him. I hope they won't but that would be my guess. If the taliban were as clever as they think they are, they would trade their prisoner for drugs and medicine, and money, not necessarily in that order.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
It would seem his captors released that info. So in almost 3 weeks the US has not been able to let his family know.........they were waiting for what.
Wrong.

Town kept secret of US soldier held hostage in Afghanistan

By JOHN MILLER The Associated Press
Mon. Jul 20 - 4:46 AM HAILEY, Idaho — Shortly after the first report two weeks ago that a U.S. soldier had been captured in Afghanistan, a small circle of people in this central Idaho town found out it was one of their own but kept it quiet.
Pfc. Bowe R. Bergdahl, a local family's only son who was home-schooled, danced at the ballet school and rode his bike all over the town of 7,000, was in the hands of the Taliban.
Neighbors and others in the community about 10 miles (16 kilometres) south of Sun Valley have known for weeks that Bergdahl had been captured, but said the family urged them not to talk about the kidnapping out of fear that publicity would compromise his safety. Gov. C.L. ``Butch'' Otter told The Associated Press that he had been working to keep the soldier's name quiet until it was officially released.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Fox News guest wants Taliban to kill captured American soldier

I couldn't believe my ears, but just minutes ago on "America's News HQ," guest pundit Ralph Peters suggested something to the effect that the Taliban should "save us the headache" and execute captured 23 year-old American soldier Bowe Bergdahl, because "it looks like" Bergdahl deserted his unit. While prefacing his comments by stressing that a military decision should not be made until all of the facts surrounding Bergdahl's capture are determined, Peters then ignored his own advice and encouraged the Taliban to kill this young man. Fox News' Julie Banderas was visibly shocked at the words coming out of Peters' mouth, but did not challenge any of his statements before awkwardly ending the segment.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Go ahead and kill him. He'll be missed and a hero to his people and country. Kill ten more hell kill a thousand more doesn't make any difference in the game plan to smoke the filthy Taliban off the face of the Earth. Just remember that every time a bomb falls on a house and those poor innocent people are killed, the reason we're there in the first place in because of the filthy Taliban. So do your worst, and we'll just keep coming. This place isn't big enough to hold us and the Taliban, so bye bye suckers, and enjoy Hell. You've earned it!

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
We're so happy you know the reason when few others do.

Really? It was clearly stated at the very beginning, didn't you bother to pay attention to that? Or did you get confused when someone said Iraq? One thing is for sure, paying attention is a good thing to do. Especially when your country is at war.

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
"This place isn't big enough to hold us and the Taliban"...

Which place? The Taliban have every right to defend their country and it`s people from invaders.

"We`ll just keep coming"....

There you go..the reason for this blood-letting. Haul our lilly-white asses outta there and let em resolve their problems on their own.

Go ahead and kill him. He'll be missed and a hero to his people and country. Kill ten more hell kill a thousand more doesn't make any difference in the game plan to smoke the filthy Taliban off the face of the Earth. Just remember that every time a bomb falls on a house and those poor innocent people are killed, the reason we're there in the first place in because of the filthy Taliban. So do your worst, and we'll just keep coming. This place isn't big enough to hold us and the Taliban, so bye bye suckers, and enjoy Hell. You've earned it!

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
"This place isn't big enough to hold us and the Taliban"...

Which place?

Any place.

The Taliban have every right to defend their country and it`s people from invaders.

They have no rights at all. They gave those rights up when they chose to protect Al Qeada. It's not their country now it belongs to Afghanistan but them not them.

There you go..the reason for this blood-letting. Haul our lilly-white asses outta there and let em resolve their problems on their own.

Resolving their own problems led to them attacking us. So now their problems are reduced to trying to keep a bullet/s out of their bodies for the rest of the day.
Tomorrow is a new day with the same problem.

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
"Resolving their own problems led to them attacking us."

And by "us" you mean whom?

It was the US that got attacked and for good reason, mainly for minding other countries business when they should have been minding their own business.

If its business as usual, then we, the west and the US in general should shut up complaining and acting surprised when they come knocking...down our buildings.

"They gave those rights up when they chose to protect Al Qeada."

Don`t talk so ******* silly bye. Al Qeada are everywhere, even in our own back yards. Do `we` now go about dropping bombs on every suspected `hide-out` in our own and other countries around the world despite the civillian population in the area? No, we don`t...we choose a select foreign country where they all look alike ,nameless and faceless and without an ounce of guilt bomb the living **** out of em knowing their puppet govs will mearly shake a finger at them and toot-toot.

Again, ****-*** with 9/11. Dragging up that excuse time and time again has caused more harm than good and justifies ***-***.

The US finally got the kick in the nuts it deserved and rightly so.

Any place.

They have no rights at all. They gave those rights up when they chose to protect Al Qeada. It's not their country now it belongs to Afghanistan but them not them.

Resolving their own problems led to them attacking us. So now their problems are reduced to trying to keep a bullet/s out of their bodies for the rest of the day.
Tomorrow is a new day with the same problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
"Resolving their own problems led to them attacking us."

And by "us" you mean whom?

The West.

It was the US that got attacked and for good reason, mainly for minding other countries business when they should have been minding their own business.

Now minding Afghanistan is their business.

If its business as usual, then we, the west and the US in general should shut up complaining and acting surprised when they come knocking...down our buildings.

Well that's fair I guess. I don't really think we should be farting around there like we are.

Don`t talk so ******* silly bye. Al Qeada are everywhere, even in our own back yards. Do`we`now go about dropping bombs on every suspected `hide-out` in our own and other countries around the world despite the civillian population in the area? No, we don`t...we choose a select foreign country where they all look alike ,nameless and faceless and without an ounce of guilt bomb the living **** out of em knowing their puppet govs will mearly shake a finger at them and toot-toot.

No we arrest them when we find them. You remember all those arrests?

Again, ****-*** with 9/11. Dragging up that excuse time and time again has caused more harm than good and justifies ***-***.

It is what it is. Lots more harm to Afghanis for sure. I doubt that will stop anyone int he future though don't you?

The US finally got the kick in the nuts it deserved and rightly so.

Oh I don't know if undeserved or not but I do know that when you kick the US in the nuts, you're so much chewed up dog food. Japan kicked them in the nuts, they learned. Now the Taliban is in school. I wonder how many loose their bowels at the sound of a drone these days?

Nah Joey I think their time has come and gone only the one's left don't know enough to go back home and fade away.

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
"Japan kicked them in the nuts, they learned."....

Ahh but that was then and this is now!
As far as technology is concerned, the world has become a MUch smaller place enabling those with the will, to do much greater damage to those cowards who took advantage in the past, with their weapons a mass-destruction.
The playing field has and will continue to be more evened out in this regard.

I bet, as we gobble down our suppers tonight while watching the 6 o`clock news reassure us our government has everything under controll, plans are in full swing for another `kick in the nuts` for Americans and its kiss-ass allies.

It`s only a matter of time....something the west has to struggle with and the `enemy` has plenty of.

The West.

Now minding Afghanistan is their business.

Well that's fair I guess. I don't really think we should be farting around there like we are.

No we arrest them when we find them. You remember all those arrests?

It is what it is. Lots more harm to Afghanis for sure. I doubt that will stop anyone int he future though don't you?

Oh I don't know if undeserved or not but I do know that when you kick the US in the nuts, you're so much chewed up dog food. Japan kicked them in the nuts, they learned. Now the Taliban is in school. I wonder how many loose their bowels at the sound of a drone these days?

Nah Joey I think their time has come and gone only the one's left don't know enough to go back home and fade away.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario

For instance?

Don`t talk so ******* silly bye. Al Qeada are everywhere, even in our own back yards. Do `we` now go about dropping bombs on every suspected `hide-out` in our own and other countries around the world despite the civillian population in the area? No, we don`t...

That's our own folly....we should.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
How can this be?

I thought that now that Obama pledged to shut down Gitmo, mirandize all enemy combatants, give them every right of an American citizen, fullfill the requirements of the Geneva Convention, Taliban and alQuada will be nice to America in return.

How naive of me! And how STUPID of Obama!