Anything Multicultural Is Good Now

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Anything multicultural is good. Immigration doesn't seem to be importing the right kind of people to the country, yet we ought to continue it anyway. It was considered some great victory to open up Canada to non-white immigration in the 1960s, a victory for how openminded we could be I guess. Then a victory for multiculturalism in the 1980s to have huge immigration levels with little public debate.

Because anything multicultural is good at present, so we can't disagree.

One wonders why the CD Howe Institute wouldn't take a leadership role in making more new babies themselves. These people have nice, easy, high paying office jobs, and yet they seem to lack the means to adequately reproduce and help Canada! There are supposedly serious problems here and our best and brightest do nothing concrete. Yet they are intellectually and physically able to take direct action-that is copulate and have kids, yet nothing, but more reports. And in the best country in the world they say.

Immigration no substitute for babies, late retirement: C.D. Howe

Immigration no substitute for babies, late retirement: C.D. Howe

By Shannon Proudfoot, Canwest News Service, July 2, 2009

Canadians need to have more babies and delay retirement to stave off a crisis in the country’s aging workforce, the C.D. Howe Institute is warning.

Photograph by: United Photos, Reuters

Canadians need to have more babies, and delay their retirement, to stave off a crisis in the country's aging workforce, warns the C.D. Howe Institute, which finds immigration is not the "elixir for youth" many think it is.
From government talking points to casual conversation, immigration is often discussed as a solution to the challenges presented by the country's aging workforce, says CEO William Robson. But when the economic and social policy research institute conducted population simulations, even vastly increased numbers of immigrants had "startlingly little effect" on the overall age structure in Canada, he says.

As it stands now, Canada's population, faced with longer life expectancies and low fertility rates, is producing fewer young people to replace the older people leaving the workforce, the report says. That, in turn, means a smaller population of working-age people to make money, pay taxes and support the pension and health-care needs of a burgeoning older population.

"I was surprised by how weak immigration is, on its own, as a tool to affect these things," Robson says. "People in Canada generally feel very positively about immigration, so it would be nice if something that we like turned out to be the answer to some of these things that otherwise can look a little threatening."

Immigrants are younger, on average, than the rest of the population, but not by much, Robson says, so exerting any real impact on the overall age structure would require unrealistically high numbers of immigrants.
The C.D. Howe report is "emphatically not" anti-immigration, Robson says but, rather, suggests other factors that could have a greater effect on the problem of the aging workforce:

- Postponing the expected retirement age from 65 to 70. This shift has already started, he says, most recently, because people whose savings have "taken a hammering" found themselves unable to retire for financial reasons.
- Raising the fertility rate. It's a thorny issue to build policy around, Robson says, but Quebec saw some birthrate increases between 1988 and 1997 with a government "allowance for newborn children" that paid families up to $8,000 for each child born.

- Boosting productivity. The factors that affect this — and why Canada lags — are "mysterious," he says, but productivity improvements are a "free lunch," in the sense that they give societies more output with the same number of workers.

"Immigration helps but, on its own, it will not do the trick," says Robson. "My concern is that a lot of people who talk about immigration as a way of dealing with these things might think that, therefore, we can let some of these other things slip.

"If nothing else changes, the rapid increase in the share of the population that's over 65 does mean a real pinch on the working-age population," Robson says. "If we consciously work on all those fronts, then chances are, we'll get old and we'll be wondering, 'What was all the fuss about?' "

© Copyright (c) Canwest News Service

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
''was considered some great victory to open up Canada to non-white immigration in the 1960s, a victory for how openminded we could be I guess.''

If you don't mind me asking, who exactly opened it up to white immigrants in the first place?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
If you don't mind me asking, who exactly opened it up to white immigrants in the first place?
Good question! Actually, around the mid 1400s a series of Papal decrees were issued that stated that all lands not occupied by Christians was considered unoccupied land and charged Christian European kings to take those land and put the inhabitants into perpetual slavery. Thus, starting with Columbus, the New World was conquered and its inhabitants converted or killed. Since they were not mentioned in the bible, they were not considered human and therefore it was left to the conquerors to decide the fate of these non-humans. Killing and robbing them was OK and was supported by scripture.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Brilliant! A large percentage of people of this world don't have enough food to keep them from malnutrition, fresh water supplies are dwindling, more and more farmland is being used up for purposes that have more to do with people's wants rather than needs, etc. and C.D. Howe wants even higher birthrates.:roll:

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
Quote,
Immigration doesn't seem to be importing the right kind of people to the country, yet we ought to continue it anyway. It was considered some great victory to open up Canada to non-white immigration in the 1960s, a victory for how openminded we could be I guess.
Unquote.

I worry about sweeping statements like the above.
Whom exactly are the "right kind of people" anyway?

We need immigrants to this country and it should never be forgotten that all of us are either immigrants or direct descendants thereof.
I would think it is more to the point to question whether the Multicultural or Meltingpot styles of immigrant assimilation are more productive in the long haul.

Trex

Polygong

Electoral Member
May 18, 2009
Between Ireland and Russia
The world is becoming more and more migratory all the time. The Nation and the State are becoming more and more separated. This is not just happening in Canada but everywhere.

This is a good thing.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
As long as abortion exists we need immigration to replace the aborted or baby genocide.

We need to have this so people can live in a good life style.

The pension program is based on the young paying for the old if the young is decreasing then pensions would come down giving less money for the pensioners.

The choice is simple if you want immigration to come down the make abortion illegal and governments should help the mothers live by providing them with government assistance or leave abortion laws as they are and bring in more immigrants.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
They are only concerned that the giant ponzi scheme that is our pension plans will come tumbling down before their turn at the trough. Those who got in early ie born before 1940 did good. Being middle of the baby boomers I will probably do OK. My son who is almost 30 will not do well off it and my grandchildren will be paying for it.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
''Killing and robbing them was OK and was supported by scripture. ''

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
Good question! Actually, around the mid 1400s a series of Papal decrees were issued that stated that all lands not occupied by Christians was considered unoccupied land and charged Christian European kings to take those land and put the inhabitants into perpetual slavery. Thus, starting with Columbus, the New World was conquered and its inhabitants converted or killed. Since they were not mentioned in the bible, they were not considered human and therefore it was left to the conquerors to decide the fate of these non-humans. Killing and robbing them was OK and was supported by scripture.

That's a pretty broad generalization of the times. At a time of developing nations competing for goods and trade, Columbus' main objective was to create an established trade route for spices, not mention man's natural tendency to explore the unknown.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
That's a pretty broad generalization of the times. At a time of developing nations competing for goods and trade, Columbus' main objective was to create an established trade route for spices, not mention man's natural tendency to explore the unknown.

It is a general statement because there is no room to go into it farther. If you want details you could look up the papal decrees between 1452 and 1495. Don't forget that Christian at the time meant Catholic. Also the decrees prior to Columbus referred to the known world. Once the new world was "discovered" those rules were applied to it and new decrees were issued to cover it.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
''Killing and robbing them was OK and was supported by scripture. ''

I have this shirt as do about ten others here. We formed our own squad.
I have another one that I made up that says "End Terrorism Now! Nuke the Pentagon." with a picture I took off their web site.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Abortion is baby genocide.

The Conservative party is going to introduce a new legislation that will protect a fetus from inception to birth this fall and once again abortion will be illegal.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

The Conservative party is going to introduce a new legislation that will protect a fetus from inception to birth this fall and once again abortion will be illegal.

Are you trying for the "Most Ludicrous Post" award?

Take your meds.

Oh, and I guess you'll be voting Conservative this fall, eh?

:)

BTW that's "conception". :roll:

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007

Which racial, political, or cultural group do fetus/es (?) belong to?

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Oh, and I guess you'll be voting Conservative this fall, eh?

If the Conservatives bring in the protection of the fetus from inception to birth my vote will be with Harper and if the Conservatives do introduce it and passes they will get the majority.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Brilliant! A large percentage of people of this world don't have enough food to keep them from malnutrition, fresh water supplies are dwindling, more and more farmland is being used up for purposes that have more to do with people's wants rather than needs, etc. and C.D. Howe wants even higher birthrates.:roll:

Probably on a temporary basis- we need a generation of higher birthrates (or higher death rates over age 50) The work force is too small now to sustain everyone (there's probably almost as many people now drawing pensions as there are people paying into the fund). You are quite right about dwindling farmland (the reason I susported the N.D.P. gov't in B.C. in the 70s, they addressed that issue, but there are always greedy entrepreneurs who are trying to dismantle it - the A.L.R.)

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
If the Conservatives bring in the protection of the fetus from inception to birth my vote will be with Harper and if the Conservatives do introduce it and passes they will get the majority.

Is this just to be a one issue Gov't.?