Stock market Tips

jjaycee98

Electoral Member
Jan 27, 2006
British Columbia
Anyone got some good info on a good stock to buy?

I realize it is best to do your own research but sure does help to have someone point out an up and comer!

I'll start with Baffinland Iron Mines-BIM-T.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I would start shorting the stock market and buying long term governement bonds.

Toro

Senate Member
I wouldn't be shorting anything (unless its a pairs trade and using it as a hedge to go long another investment) until you see a break in the trend. The TSX is still in a powerful uptrend and the technical set-up for most stock markets is still up. Plus, there are still oceans of cheap stocks out there.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
CIBC or CM on the TSX even though they report negitive news on their stocks they're stock prices are higher than the rest of the Canadian banks which means they have the necessary reserves to weather any storm.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I wouldn't be shorting anything (unless its a pairs trade and using it as a hedge to go long another investment) until you see a break in the trend. The TSX is still in a powerful uptrend and the technical set-up for most stock markets is still up. Plus, there are still oceans of cheap stocks out there.
What's wrong, you didn't like my tip Toro?

I would also overweight in newsprint futures.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Could some, anyone, please buy IBI Corporation (IBI.V). I think it's down to two-cents and my wife could be the only remaining shareholder (other than the guy who sends her annual reports).

Toro

Senate Member
What's wrong, you didn't like my tip Toro?

My strategy for shorting is different than buying because generally, the trend works against you since over time, the market rises. You can buy if you have all your fundamentals correct and the investment is cheap enough because eventually, valuation will bail you out.

However, for shorting I look for 1. overvaluation, preferably egregiously so, 2. deteriorating fundamentals or will soon become so, and 3. technical break-down. None of those three are occurring in the market right now. Stocks aren't overvalued, the economy has stopped deteriorating (rapidly at least) and there is a strong technical uptrend.

But that's just me though.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I didn't escape. I told the guard that the food sucked and I was heading out to find a dim sum.