Income increase outstrips U.S. increase

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
"Canada's income per person grew twice as fast as that in the United States over the past four years, according to a new study released Tuesday.
CIBC World Markets Inc. said the country's real personal disposable income — what you get to spend once you subtract price increases — rose $2,600 since 2005, double the $1,300 US gain that Americans enjoyed."

Perhaps it's not quite time to unload old Steve.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
A lot of their goods are cheaper; gas, food, etc. Everything is relative.

Not like it used to be Gil, I think restaurant meals are even a little higher, gas is a bit cheaper but not much, dairy and poultry are cheaper.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
"Canada's income per person grew twice as fast as that in the United States over the past four years, according to a new study released Tuesday.
CIBC World Markets Inc. said the country's real personal disposable income — what you get to spend once you subtract price increases — rose $2,600 since 2005, double the $1,300 US gain that Americans enjoyed."

Perhaps it's not quite time to unload old Steve.

JLM, not only that, but unemployment in Canada is 8.4%, that in USA is 9.4%. This is one of the very few times when unemployment in Canada is actually lower than that in USA.

We are used to 8% unemployment, it is no big deal. Since we have more extensive safety net for the poor compared to USA, we can handle higher unemployment than USA, that is why we usually have higher unemployment. But right now we are a full point below USA.

In spire of all the moaning and grumbling, Canada has really not borne the full brunt of recession, not yet. All the more remarkable how Messiah has fallen behind in the polls.

You may give credit to Harper, I give credit to the sound economic management by Libs for 13 years. While Harper managed to fritter away all the surplus by giving tax cuts mainly benefiting the rich, he was not able to do any other damage.

Indeed, Liberals adopted a contrarian approach to USA. When Bush was spending money like drunken sailor, was racking up huge deficits, Liberals were running healthy surplus. I think we are still living on the good work done by Liberals.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Now Obama is running up the deficit and Canadians will REALLY have something to boast about!

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Now Obama is running up the deficit and Canadians will REALLY have something to boast about!

Yes, we will now purchase all your cultural institutions for dirt cheap and Canadianize em. :lol:

I'm bidding on Mount Rushmore, Wayne Gretzky's face is going up on the sucka. :smile:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
"I'm bidding on Mount Rushmore, Wayne Gretzky's face is going up on the sucka"- I think he has to be President first.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
So in short you are saying that you pretty much are going to leave our cultural institutions as is? :lol:

We already have the American culture, EagleSmack. Canada is an enviable blend of USA, France and Britain. We set out to have French culture, British system of government and American efficiency.

Instead, we ended up with American culture, British efficiency and French system of government.