Will the Tories actually sell the CBC?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I don't find CBC TV to be particularly special - there isn't anything they do that isn't already done by others.

CBC radio is a staple in my house / car, but I must admit, it's gone way downhill in the last few years. Q?? The Point?? ugh.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Will the Tories actually sell the CBC?

No, they would not dare! Nobody would.

But, then who the Hell cares about CBC? Its logo significantly expresses their influence.

Circle in the middle, meaning Toronto.

Half circle all around it, meaning a 100 mile radius from Toronto.

Half of half of a circle all around the already insignificant half-circle, meaning about a 300 mile radius around Toronto.

The rest after that is totally insignificant, except for those cheap characters who refuse to enter the twenty-first century and refuse to subscribe to an objective news source.

Only in Canada! Pity!

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Just imagine what they'd be doing if they had a majority?

Maybe FOX will buy the CBC?

johnnyhangover

now with added fiber!
Feb 20, 2009
in my house
www.dreadfulmonkey.com
CBC radio is a staple in my house / car, but I must admit, it's gone way downhill in the last few years. Q?? The Point?? ugh.

While the point does suck (it's being cancelled, thank goodness), Q kicks a s s. I've heard this same complaint from the older generation of CBC die-hards (my parents age) for a few years now. They can't get used to the idea that the CBC is changing to suit a younger audience. I say it's about time.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
"CBC radio is a staple in my house / car, but I must admit, it's gone way downhill in the last few years."

I could not agree with you more, TenPenny!

I always had CBC on my dial at home and in my car as long as it featured classical music. Then they decided to be politically correct and pollute the air waves with rap, hip-hop and blues.

GOODBYE, CBC!!

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Period. Selling off the national identity would be political suicide.

The national identity?

That conjures-up all kind of imagery, the first being Canada's fixation with 'free everything'.. The CBC is subsidized to the tune of 1 billion each year.

The second thought re: national identity is that it applies if, and only if, your political leanings are liberal.

While the point does suck (it's being cancelled, thank goodness), Q kicks a s s. I've heard this same complaint from the older generation of CBC die-hards (my parents age) for a few years now. They can't get used to the idea that the CBC is changing to suit a younger audience. I say it's about time.

This is part of the problem. The CBC appeals to an older demographic, If they wish to capitalize on any advertising revenues, they must appeal to the largest demographic. That leaves 2 possibilities: One is to go mainstream that results in undermining the CBC's identity, The second possibility is to continue as is and keep relying on billions in order to accommodate a small listener/viewer base.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
See Ottawa considering asset sales - The Globe and Mail

I'll be disappointed if this happens. I don't get cable, and I happen to like the CBC and some of their programming. A lot of people live in the middle of nowhere and CBC radio is key for them. If the CBC went private, they wouldn't be broadcasting in such non-profitable areas.
The best thing for taxpayers would be to dump CBC. It is irrelevant to most people outside of Toronto. With satilite TV and radio we no longer need this expense.
There is an old saying about the CBC- You know you are really out in the boonies when all you can get is CBC radio. And you know that you have been there too long when you start to like it.
They can dump the CRTC at the same time. We are capable of deciding what we want to see/hear without bureaucratic interference.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
"CBC radio is a staple in my house / car, but I must admit, it's gone way downhill in the last few years."

I could not agree with you more, TenPenny!

I always had CBC on my dial at home and in my car as long as it featured classical music. Then they decided to be politically correct and pollute the air waves with rap, hip-hop and blues.

GOODBYE, CBC!!
Jeeeez, Jack. Different people like different music. Get over it. Besides I still here classical on CBC sometimes. Seems to be a mix of different genres on CBC, to me.

I've heard people complain that CBC used to be full of artsy-fartsy Francophones. I still found other stuff on the station to listen to.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
The best thing for taxpayers would be to dump CBC. It is irrelevant to most people outside of Toronto. With satilite TV and radio we no longer need this expense.
There is an old saying about the CBC- You know you are really out in the boonies when all you can get is CBC radio. And you know that you have been there too long when you start to like it.
They can dump the CRTC at the same time. We are capable of deciding what we want to see/hear without bureaucratic interference.
I must be old then. There's a few things I like on CBC radio. We have 3 radio stations here; 1 plays the top 20 incessantly, another plays a mix of stuff from the early 80s onwards (which isn't too bad occasionally), and CBC radio. Getting rid of the CBC would make me resort to buying an MP3 player to put in the truck. Thanks a bunch.
I kinda like the CRTC for certain things, keeping Shaw Cable from boosting the prices skyhigh, for instance. But for the most part, it is as you say, a load of bureaucratic BS.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

It's not the music, it's not the interview subjects. It's the moronic comments from the collection of idiots they have as 'commentators', along with the incessant repetition of the same story, four or five times, in three or four different CBC shows. Every day, there's some commentator blathering on about the most basic things to do with the 'net, or dredging up the same story that is featured on Perez Hilton or some site of the day. It's cheap, lazy journalism.

I loved the BillyBobDickhead interview, except that Jian should have pointed out that he, himself, is an accomplished talented musician, and that BillyBob isn't.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I don’t see Harper selling CBC in a minority government. There will be opposition from all the other three parties. If he sells CBC, he will get decimated in Ontario. I will be very surprised if it happens.

I remember when Mike Harris was selling government assets right and left he considered selling TV Ontario, a government funded Ontario channel. In the end, he decided not to do it, there would have been too much of a backlash.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I don't find CBC TV to be particularly special - there isn't anything they do that isn't already done by others.

The subject matter sucks, the annoying music over voice opening bull**** buildup grates the nerves just about to the limit, I used to like my radio station, now I live in hope that I will run in to the twats that ruined it. Oh let's not forget the Current a real piece of yellow radio by yellow radio heads, my radio sucks now, somebody has to go to prison. When the war crimes trials start these people will be remembered. They may wish to recall the Rhawandan radio personality just recently convicted for insightment of genocide.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I must be old then. There's a few things I like on CBC radio. We have 3 radio stations here; 1 plays the top 20 incessantly, another plays a mix of stuff from the early 80s onwards (which isn't too bad occasionally), and CBC radio. Getting rid of the CBC would make me resort to buying an MP3 player to put in the truck. Thanks a bunch.
I kinda like the CRTC for certain things, keeping Shaw Cable from boosting the prices skyhigh, for instance. But for the most part, it is as you say, a load of bureaucratic BS.

Have you thought of Sirius or XM Satellite radio?