Gov-Gen Gobbles Raw Seal Heart On TV

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Some people don't realize that they're not supposed to get so much publicity. Benign good vibes are going to be replaced by some intense feelings that didn't exist before. The dainty white wine crowd that supports aboriginals from afar don't like seeing seal innards on the sushi menu.

I support what she has done because I think it moves us closer toward abolishing the monarchy in Canada.

Governor General's seal snack sparks controversy

Governor General's seal snack sparks controversy

Last Updated: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 | 6:52 PM CT

Gov. Gen. Michaëlle Jean and her husband Jean-Daniel Lafond, in matching jackets, take part in a community feast in Rankin Inlet, Nunavut, on Monday. (Sean Kilpatrick/Canadian Press)Gov. Gen. Michaëlle Jean snacking on a slain seal's raw heart has sparked criticism from the European Union and animal rights groups.
Barbara Slee, an anti-seal hunt campaigner at the International Fund for Animal Welfare in Brussels, said she was disgusted by Jean's actions.
"The fact that the Governor General in public is slashing and eating a seal, I don't think that really helps the cause, and I'm convinced that this will not change the mind of European citizens and politicians," Slee told The Associated Press.

"It amazes us that a Canadian official would indulge in such bloodlust," Dan Mathews, senior vice-president of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, told the Toronto Star.

"It sounds like she's trying to give Canadians an even more Neanderthal image around the world than they already have."

Kicking off a weeklong visit to Nunavut on Monday as part of the territory's 10th anniversary celebrations, Jean gutted and ate some fresh seal at a community festival in the central Nunavut community of Rankin Inlet.

The move, to show support for the beleaguered seal hunters, comes as the European Union voted earlier this month to impose a ban on seal products after years of intense lobbying by animal rights groups.

Asked Tuesday whether her actions were a message to Europe, Jean replied, "Take from that what you will."

A spokeswoman for EU Environment Commissioner Stavros Dimas offered no official reaction.

"No comment — it's too bizarre to acknowledge," Barbara Helfferich said.
The EU's trade ban has limited exemptions to Inuit from Canada and Greenland to continue their traditional seal hunts. However, those exemptions are subject to a number of restrictions.

Canadian Inuit leaders praised Jean's gesture, saying it sends a strong message to the world about the traditional "country food" that Inuit rely on.
"Not everybody would do that, especially when they know that the seal hunt ... is a controversial issue because of the animal rights people," Mary Simon, head of the national Inuit organization Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami, told CBC News on Tuesday.

"I just want to thank her for her support of our people and our culture."
Both Simon and Paul Kaludjak, president of the land claims group Nunavut Tunngavik Inc., said the seal hunt is not a controversial issue among Inuit.
"We don't really care about how the outside world thinks about how we eat our country food," Kaludjak said.

"Let them be disgusted, whatever they want to pursue, and that's their choice."

Kaludjak added there are better things to do than to criticize other people's practices.

Simon said people should take note of the message Jean is sending by eating the seal heart.

"It really sends a message out to the public that maybe these animal rights campaigns are off-base and are giving inaccurate information," Simon said.
Federal Defence Minister Peter MacKay weighed in on the controversy, offering Jean his full support.

"I think that was wonderful. I think she's Canada's new Braveheart for eating the seal heart," MacKay told reporters following question period in Ottawa on Tuesday.

When asked if he would eat a piece of seal heart, MacKay, who said he has eaten seal liver and flippers, replied, "Sure! Absolutely. I'd love to try it."

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Kudos to our GG for supporting Canada and it's Indigenous peoples. P.E.T.A. can kiss my a$$, I couldn't care less what those mindless twerps "yhink" or have to say.

Reactions: Colpy

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
Can. gov.gen. Eat raw heart right outta seal!....

GG ..in this case ,given the situation..I agree with your position . It is sad to kill cute cudley little seals, and if it was just about the money .I might have sided different. Backing the native /aboriginal culture is common sense.They help monitor and sustain wildlife populations necessary in the conservation, and preservation, of this great diverse Canadian nation.:)

Simply put .Natives live up there cuz they can.No one else wants to...Who are we to tell them how to live..?.I'm not tellin them,You tell m..!I forgot my snow shoes...But arggh..bluck..Seal heart..?..Maybe A little bit over the the top.. If it was just natives huntin in "the seal hunt" , wouldn't be such an issue...Bit of an overkill....

Canada's gov.gen. Eats raw heart right outta seal!....I ain't messin with anyone who eats raw seal heart...raw/viscious but...I salute you General seal heart.(new native name)...I'm on your side on this one...

Tastes like sushi.?.

.Peace..

B.GreenFish(66) ..lol

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Kudos to our GG for supporting Canada and it's Indigenous peoples. P.E.T.A. can kiss my a$$, I couldn't care less what those mindless twerps "yhink" or have to say.

I don't think the controversy over the Seal Hunt has ever had anything to do with the natives rather it the commercial slaughtering of seals. The natives are being used by the government it seems.

Canada threatens WTO complaint over European seal product ban
"The ban will offer some exemptions to Inuit communities in Canada and Greenland so they can continue their traditional hunts of harp and hooded seals, but bars large-scale trading of pelts, oils or meats in the 27-state European Union. Another exemption will allow for non-commercial and "small-scale" hunts to manage seal populations. However, seal products derived from those hunts will not be allowed to enter the EU."

EU bans seal imports; Canada, Norway, and Inuit opposed » The Arctic
"Inuit seal hunting accounts for about 3% of the total seal hunt."

Last edited:

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
Yes Durka Durka there are many larger issues intertwinded here...Protect the seals and it's Indigenous peoples.That is the best position for Canadians...G.G. Knows where to stand ..I stand beside her in this case, but I ain't eatin no seal meat..That's not necessary..But serves it point..

Balance/sustainability...Green/clean tech..

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I have to back the G.G. on this "tempest in a teapot". The animal was dead wasn't it? The heart had quit beating, no? Did she, eating a portion of the heart deprive someone else from a meal? Some people find the damndest things to stick their noses into. Come on folks, "we have bigger fish (seals) to fry".

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I think it was probably the better of two choices. Eating a small sliver of raw seal meat was likely better politically than turning it down.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I think it was probably the better of two choices. Eating a small sliver of raw seal meat was likely better politically than turning it down.

Absolutely, especially if she likes the stuff. I guess she didn't think to take a "doggy bag" home.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Absolutely, especially if she likes the stuff. I guess she didn't think to take a "doggy bag" home.

I think that anything in that doggy bag would likely go to her dog if she has one.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
So let me get this straight. Ending the commercial seal fur industry means that Inuit can't hunt and eat Seal?

You know I gave the humans the benefit of the doubt but this confirms people are ****ing idiots.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Its not ending the commercial seal fur industry (which is also stupid) its arbitrarily ending their industry. It would be like the EU decided that BC forests were too pretty to cut down, or that Northern Ontario was too beautiful to mine, so we can't mine or log. Note that EU territory can still mine and log and they expect to still be able to sell here.

As for the more important issue..she has now gained that seals strength in battle, if this keep up..how will we stop her?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
would be like the EU decided that BC forests were too pretty to cut down, or that Northern Ontario was too beautiful to mine, so we can't mine or log.
Too funny....they already have.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Its not ending the commercial seal fur industry (which is also stupid) its arbitrarily ending their industry. It would be like the EU decided that BC forests were too pretty to cut down, or that Northern Ontario was too beautiful to mine, so we can't mine or log. Note that EU territory can still mine and log and they expect to still be able to sell here.

As for the more important issue..she has now gained that seals strength in battle, if this keep up..how will we stop her?

Not true at all. In fact Inuit seal hunt product is exempt from the European ban.
The two hunts are completely different. The Inuit hunt in Nunavut take a little over 700 Ringed seals that are older and done in the summer. The commercial hunt takes some 300,000 Harp seal pups 3 weeks to 3 months old in March and April. It doesn't end any Inuit industry at all. Just the commercial slaughter for fur.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I think what Michele John did might just give the seal industry a bigger boost than anything else could. As these wannabee fashionable women will be putting in orders for seal heart by the 10 kg. bag.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I think what Michele John did might just give the seal industry a bigger boost than anything else could. As these wannabee fashionable women will be putting in orders for seal heart by the 10 kg. bag.

haha, perhaps McDonald's will be selling McSeal Nuggets before you know it. :cool: