Aboriginal Right To Shoot The Cute?

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Aborginals are a premodern people that want to keep their stone age traditions with modern technology. Something seems amiss here.

Hunting in the old days for aboriginals was important culturally, it established social status in dangerous pursuits. Hunting bigger animals like deer and bear one risks life and limb with spears and arrows. Those days are long gone however and they're not coming back unless peak oil or an asteroid hit big time.

B.C. natives seek ritual culling of sea otters
B.C. natives seek ritual culling of sea otters

By Larry Pynn, Vancouver Sun, May 20, 2009

VANCOUVER — Aboriginals on the west coast of Vancouver Island are planning to kill one per cent of sea otters per year for ceremonial reasons.
Staff of the Nuu-chah-nulth Tribal Council and federal fisheries officials have created a draft sea otter management plan that has been submitted to native leaders for support prior to formal approval by Ottawa.

Decimated on the B.C. coast during the European fur trade of the late 1700s and early 1800s, sea otters were successfully reintroduced from Alaska between 1969-72.

In 2007, the federal committee on the status of endangered wildlife in Canada downlisted the marine mammal's status to "special concern" from "threatened."

The committee estimated sea otters have repopulated 25 to 33 per cent of their historic range in B.C., but cautioned "numbers are small" at less than 3,500 and "require careful monitoring."

Roger Dunlop, regional fisheries biologist for the tribal council, said in an interview Tuesday the draft management plan would allow Nuu-chah-nulth hunters to annually shoot one per cent of the 2,000 otters found in the region.

Hunters would target adult male otters and would receive training on the proper skinning of the animals.

Chiefs traditionally wore sea otter pelts as a sign of rank. Dunlop said the harvest rate is very conservative, taking into account the size and rate of growth of the population, and considers other potential causes of death, such as illegal hunting, collisions with ships and entanglement in nets.
Dunlop noted there remains some concern in native and non-native communities about sea otters competing for shellfish, including urchins, crab and clams, but he emphasized that is not the reason behind the proposed kill.
He added there is no thought of selling the skins on a commercial basis.
Still, he expects the hunt to generate some controversy.

"Sea otters are very cute. There will potentially be some outcry at any harvest at all. But this is an aboriginal right and the harvests won't harm the population."

Peter Hamilton, founding director of the animal-rights group Lifeforce, argued against the kill on the grounds the current population remains at risk from oil spills and that sea otters fulfil an important role by eating urchins and allowing biologically diverse kelp beds to flourish.

Close to 3,000 sea otters are thought to have died in the Exxon Valdez supertanker spill of about 40-million litres of crude oil into Alaska's Prince William Sound in March 1989. Hamilton feared the shooting of otters could result in injuries and suffering, adding natives should stop the traditional practice as they have done with the taking of slaves.

"It's a barbaric past and the blood must not be on the hands of present generations."

Sierra Club B.C. and Western Canada Wilderness Committee said they support natives' right to the hunt, provided it is carefully monitored and otter populations can support it.

Living Oceans Society recognizes the rights of aboriginals to make decisions about natural resources in their area, but "would prefer" they forgo the killing of sea otters.

Federal fisheries officials were not available on Tuesday for comment.

© Copyright (c) Canwest News Service

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
But.. but... the native people are the caretakers of the earth...

Last edited:

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
"Sea otters are very cute. There will potentially be some outcry at any harvest at all. But this is an aboriginal right and the harvests won't harm the population."

The right to decimate a species... Wonderful.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

The right to decimate a species... Wonderful.

They have learned well from their masters who extinct species at an alarming rate. How many species disappear every year on this planet? Any why? Your comments are just racist, a deflection from our own guilt. One percent does not endanger a species. How many millions of dolphin and porpoise are slaughter every year so we can eat tuna from a can? Grab some perspective.

Oh, and I am not defending them because they are native. I am putting the onus of the dominant society for setting a wonderful example for the rest of humanity. I would much prefer that the otters were not killed until their numbers were much higher. And I do think that if they are going to hunt them, that they do it in the traditional way. This reminds me of the Washington natives traditionally hunting whale with a 50 caliber machine gun a few years back.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
... Oh, I see...

I guess that I didn't pay proper attention to the mention of the use of the ceremonial and traditional 30-haught-6's and Remmington's that they will be blazing away with from the comfort of their Bertram fishing boats.

I wonder if they'll start-off the ritual with a togo cup of ceremonial Tim Horton coffee and a party pack of traditional kreullers?

Guilt my ass, this is simply hypocritical opportunism. Nothing more and nothing less. But I do get a kick out of your supposed deflection of the issue by declaring that it A-OK for this group to exterminate sea otters because other cultures did similar things in the past. Comments like "How many species disappear every year on this planet?" or "One percent does not endanger a species." are what the destroyers use to justify their future transgressions.

That is truly a sad rebuttal that only acts to vilify this activity further. Perhaps you'll do the west coast aboriginals a favour and not speak on their behalf.. They will certainly appreciate it.

BTW - Perhaps you didn't get the memo. The racism card is entirely played-out Cliffy. In fact, that notion does more to harm this group than it does to explain or advance any progressive relationships.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
... Oh, I see...

I guess that I didn't pay proper attention to the mention of the use of the ceremonial and traditional 30-haught-6's and Remmington's that they will be blazing away with from the comfort of their Bertram fishing boats.

I wonder if they'll start-off the ritual with a togo cup of ceremonial Tim Horton coffee and a party pack of traditional kreullers?

Guilt my ass, this is simply hypocritical opportunism. Nothing more and nothing less. But I do get a kick out of your supposed deflection of the issue by declaring that it A-OK for this group to exterminate sea otters because other cultures did similar things in the past. Comments like "How many species disappear every year on this planet?" or "One percent does not endanger a species." are what the destroyers use to justify their future transgressions.

That is truly a sad rebuttal that only acts to vilify this activity further. Perhaps you'll do the west coast aboriginals a favour and not speak on their behalf.. They will certainly appreciate it.

BTW - Perhaps you didn't get the memo. The racism card is entirely played-out Cliffy. In fact, that notion does more to harm this group than it does to explain or advance any progressive relationships.

Your dislike of me colours your perception. No where did I say I support the hunt or condone the use of modern weapons. In fact I said I did not condone the hunt, that I did not support them because they are aboriginal, but if the hunt must go on with the blessing of the government, then it should be done in the traditional way, not with high powered rifles or 50 caliber machine guns, so get off your high horse, you are in danger of falling off.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
... Oh, I see...

Did you also pay attention to the government banning the use of the traditional implements due to public outcry? Also, how is a person supposed to pick up a pelt on the ice from a fishing boat?

I hate PETA and their nonsensical discriminations--as in deciding its wrong to kill seals but fine to kill almost any other animal being hunted.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Yeah those tribal chiefs look like such losers without a couple of Otter heads dangling from their belts. How in the world are they suppose to get the chicks and the respect of those around them without proving to everyone that they are men? :roll:

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Did you also pay attention to the government banning the use of the traditional implements due to public outcry? Also, how is a person supposed to pick up a pelt on the ice from a fishing boat?

I hate PETA and their nonsensical discriminations--as in deciding its wrong to kill seals but fine to kill almost any other animal being hunted.

I agree wholeheartedly about PETA. It amazes me the zeal that they place towards protecting certain animals, but others they don't make any mention of.:-|

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009

No, I am not familiar... I would imagine that there was quite an outcry. I naively believed that the predominate weapon would have traditionally been a device related to spears. I find it extremely interesting that the feds would 'ban' implements (other than guns)related to hunting aquatic targets.

Perhaps I can read-up about that, can you give me an idea of where i can find this info? An idea of what is banned?

I eagerly await your response.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Your dislike of me colours your perception. No where did I say I support the hunt or condone the use of modern weapons. In fact I said I did not condone the hunt, that I did not support them because they are aboriginal, but if the hunt must go on with the blessing of the government, then it should be done in the traditional way, not with high powered rifles or 50 caliber machine guns, so get off your high horse, you are in danger of falling off.

Cliffy,

I simply made a comment that related to the needless killing of sea otters as a "right"... You dove in and hollered "racism" in response, so don't accuse me of having an agenda in this issue.

That said, a group that wishes to celebrate/promote their culture and teach their past is fantastic, but lets be perfectly honest, there is no need to butcher these animals in order to educate future aboriginal generations. It is not necessary and further, the pelts won't play any form of practical role in the current west coast aboriginal society.

Strickland

May 18, 2009

What ice are you talking about?
This is happening in Port Alberni, not Northern B.C. Otters, not seals.
I've heard nothing about a ban on traditional weapons not being allowed, but honestly...why would anyone use a spear when guns are available? ;-)

This is going to happen in my town and we do not discuss it. We have many issues going on right now but nobody seems too concerned about this one.
Or, people are afraid if they say anything negative, they will be called racist. :-(

We are a hunting household, so I am hesitant to say much about what others choose to hunt. 20 otter a year will not wipe out the species.

Just a little something I would like to point out.
The Queens Foot Guards hats' are made from the fur of B.C bears. I've also never heard a single complaint about this.
*shrug*

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Aborginals are a premodern people that want to keep their stone age traditions with modern technology. Something seems amiss here.
Not really, I use a compound bow now, but I also poses a PAL. I just choose to use the more technical for the sport of it.

Hunting in the old days for aboriginals was important culturally, it established social status in dangerous pursuits. Hunting bigger animals like deer and bear one risks life and limb with spears and arrows. Those days are long gone however and they're not coming back unless peak oil or an asteroid hit big time.
I hunt Deer and Turkey for food, and Coyote for the fact they are an invasive species. I won't hunt Bears for obvious reasons, ;-).

And though those days are long gone, when the laws are adhered to and we hunt species when and where is legally ordained, we touch our cultural past. Nothing wrong it that. Look at all the soccer fans in T dot.

I can't say as I would condone this, but I hunt for my reasons, I can't very well condemn others for wishing to reach back and touch their roots.

Revive? They never stopped.
:roll: Did all your Native friends tell you that?

why would anyone use a spear when guns are available? ;-)
Because there is greater challenge and therefore the hunter is worthy the gift.

This is going to happen in my town and we do not discuss it. We have many issues going on right now but nobody seems too concerned about this one.
Or, people are afraid if they say anything negative, they will be called racist. :-(
That's just wrong. Everyone should have a say.

We are a hunting household, so I am hesitant to say much about what others choose to hunt. 20 otter a year will not wipe out the species.
I can't argue with you, as I don't know much about Otter populations, but with the Feds keeping them on the concerned species list, there should be a moratorium on them even for the Native community.

Just a little something I would like to point out.
The Queens Foot Guards hats' are made from the fur of B.C bears. I've also never heard a single complaint about this.
*shrug*
Actually, there is, hence the possibility of them changing to synthetic.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
What's amiss is using modern technology for a ritual, that no doubt has ancient origins, that simply has no meaning or use anymore. The Nootka had a language and culture they kept alive against threatening neighbours due their own efforts for thousands of years. Now their customs are kept alive as wards of the gov't, protected by dated treaties that require revision due to the passage of time and changing circumstances.

No deal is a deal forever, because nothing is forever.

I read in Harper's years ago that the Makah who hunted whales were a faction, and the losing factions lamented they could have been millionaires selling their lumber instead. Aboriginals live in a cultural bubble. By saying they will shoot the cute, shows how out of touch the Nootka are. They think public opinion is irrevelant, but they are wrong.