Shocking news in this day in age- Teacher's Assistant cuts Aboriginal Boy's Hair

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

Dear Colleagues and Friends,
Below are two clips from a news story that has recently gotten National media attention. The story broke a month ago when it first happened. In a nutshell a teacher's assistant in Thunder Bay took a seven year old, First Nation boy stood him on a chair at school and proceeded to cut his hair, which he was growing out for traditional dancing. The boy's mother has said that he stated that "...after she cut my hair, she took me by the shoulders and forced me to stand in front of the mirror. She made me stand there and said 'look at you now.'". The TA has been suspended. The Thunder Bay Crown has indicated to the Police that there were no grounds for criminal charges, and it wasn't in the public interest to lay charges.
Anyone who has attended the Cultural Competency or Awareness Training or simply is Aboriginal will be familiar that one of the things that occurred regularly in Residential school was forced haircuts for the boys and girls that attended. This was done in a very institutionalize fashion, in front of other children. Many survivors of Residential or Day Schools recall this as one of their worst and most humiliating memories of school. The traumatic and harmful effect this particular ritual had on generations of Aboriginal people is well documented. All one has to do is look at the cover of John S. Milloy's A National Crime to see two pictures of little Aboriginal boy named Thomas Moore. The pictures have been superimposed as one photo to see the before and after picture together as one. On the left is the little traditional boy with long braided hair in beaded dress and a fur robe and on the right is the representation of the "civilized" Thomas, well barbered, in a suit. This picture is the epitome of the National policy that was in place and the false assumptions that lead to thinking that "assimilation" was okay in the name of "civilizing" people.
Some may think that this was only hair---and it will grow back. Some may argue that this was not a racialized crime. But as a mother of two "status Indians" my opinion is different--and this is a sad story. This was a seven year old boy whose family have encouraged him to learn about his culture, traditions and religion and in a brief incidence one person has potentially crushed any dignity or pride in those beliefs. Hair has spiritual significance to many First Nation people/groups. From my perspective this was an assault that squarely falls within the definition of assault in our Criminal Code and further that it is a form of hate crime. This act would be wrong if it happened to any child but given the historical background in "educating" Aboriginal children and the fact that the school knew the boy's reasons for having long hair, I think it is hard to argue that there is no racial motivation involved. If hair has religious purpose and part of the purpose is to practice of a religious or spiritual rite than I think it is fair to say that this little boy's freedom to practice religion pursuant to the Charter has indeed been violated. Is suspension enough? What is the interest of the public if it is not in protecting our children and our constitutional rights?
A participant at a regional Aboriginal Healing Foundation Gathering in 2000 was quoted as saying "When I was growing up, when I was in the residential schools, I was lost for a very long time....I didn't hear the drum beat, I heard the organ. It took me 36 years to find out who I am." . I did not have to attend Residential school but I am not blind or immune to what this system has done my people. I hope that families and my people can heal overtime to over-come the obstacles that intergenerational trauma and continued racism present. In moments like this I wonder if it will ever be obtainable. As an optimist, I have to believe that many people will also see what happened here was wrong on so many levels. I also have to believe that what I teach my children about our culture is something that one person cannot just take away with the snip of scissors---including that actions like this do hurt and that is why it important for me to teach them raise their voices against such hatefulness. So despite people like this TA, I will continue to help my kids find their Anishinabe selves and assist them to establish their identity until they are ready to define it themselves. This way, like me, they will have the gift of always knowing who they are.

Thunder Bay mom wants answers after teacher's aide chops off son's hair
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2009/05/21/thunder-bay-hair.html
CBC VIDEO NEWSCLIP

http://www.cbc.ca/MRL/clips/rm-hi/dragani-hair090521.rm
On-line comments and responses to this news:
"What concerns me is that the Crown has determined that it is not in the public interest to prosecute the TA even though the precedent has been set [cutting hair being an assault]. So according to the Thunder Bay Crown Attorney it is not in the public interest to protect a child who has been assaulted, humiliated, and traumatised by a person in a position of authority, in what appears to be a racially motivated attack. In other words, enabling racism and protecting racists is in the public interest, according to the Crown in Thunder Bay." -On-line commenter-
"To me, the scariest thing about this story is that someone who lacks the obvious common sense and intelligence to know that this sort of thing would be a huge mistake, has such an influence in the development of future Canadians." -On-line Commenter
"It isn't just the hair cutting that is at issue here: she judged his appearance unacceptable and then proceeded to humiliate him by cutting his hair at school. This is not only an assault but an event that will forever remind this boy that this woman thought there was something wrong with him. " On-line Commenter

"I was beaten and humiliated in school by teachers. I still feel the rage in me when I think about it. 40 years later. All I can say is ...pity the teacher that messes with my kids." -On-line Commenter
"Until I read this story I didn't really know what the phrase " Gobsmacked" meant. I am a teacher's aid. I have been one for almost 16 years now and I was completely gobsmacked when I heard this. Fire her and charge her! Ours is a position of trust both between the child and the parents. Not only did she commit assault but she violated that trust." -On-line Commenter
---------------------------------------------
"Intergenerational Impacts" refer to "the effects of physical and sexual abuse that were passed on to the children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren of Aboriginal people who attended the residential school system." -from Where are the Children Website at http://www.wherearethechildren.ca/en/home.html
Sincerely

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
The Thunder Bay Crown has indicated to the Police that there were no grounds for criminal charges, and it wasn't in the public interest to lay charges.
I can't take the time to read the whole article at this moment but even this far I am seeing red. It may not (in their opinion) be in the best interests to lay charges but it sure is in the victim's best interest and I hope they do. Even the suggestion that it may not be in their best interests makes me livid. IMO it should be in the public's best interest as well. I know about TA's and how lazy and ridiculous they can be. I never thought one would have the nerve to go so far.

Diarygirl

Electoral Member
Oct 28, 2008
Newfoundland
If the Teacher's Assistant was so appalled with the boys appearance, she should have considered the consequences to do such a thing, especially without the parents permission! Even if there was a lice infestation, it has to be considered that it's entirely up to the parent to permit such an act.
Everyone is equal, no matter of their race, culture, appearance or cleanliness. If there was such a problem the health authorities would have had to communicate with the parents.
I do think such a thing would have been humiliating to the young boy in front of his peers and classmates, and wanting to keep his hair long for his traditional dance.
Where did this TA think it was okay to do such a thing?? Who made her feel she could make such a decision??
Perhaps we'll hear more about this than we expect. That was the same as an assault on the child! She'd have some explaining to do if it were my child!

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Jack,

Your ignorance and racism never cease to amaze. And you are proud of it.

If I were that kid's parent I would be demanding that the TA be publicly shaved bald.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
When all else fails...

No, never mind.. When nothing else is even tried, resort to name-calling.

gerryh, you surprise me. Cliffy, you don't.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
When all else fails...

I suppose you expected someone to agree with you? You are a piece of work, Jack. You obviously have no idea about native culture and traditions. I'm surprised Bear hasn't ripped you a new one.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
I am sure many people did, but chose not risking being called a racist or a "peice (?) of sh*t" by a couple of champion name-callers.

Native? ANYONE who was born here is a native. I refuse to allow a group of people hijack this word for their own selfish benefit. And just for curiousity, how many persons/people can be - by definition - FIRST?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Jack,

If I were that kid's parent I would be demanding that the TA be publicly shaved bald.
Bad idea. Many of us firefighters do a head shave to raise money for cancer research. I can't speak for all firefighters but I most certainly do NOT want this person(?) looking like one of us.
Criminal charges would be better, like assault with a weapon. Makes you wonder what kind of job screening that school board doesn't do. Back in the sixties when I was in elementary school we had a Jesus freak teacher take it upon herself to cut a kids hair. Not much was done about it then but now that is simply not permissible.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I am sure many people did, but chose not risking being called a racist or a "peice (?) of sh*t" by a couple of champion name-callers.

Native? ANYONE who was born here is a native. I refuse to allow a group of people hijack this word for their own selfish benefit. And just for curiousity, how many persons/people can be - by definition - FIRST?

Aboriginal is the best handle I know of for the original people who lived here before Europeans over ran the joint and raped and pillaged this land.

I would like to know the name you think you deserve to be called for stereo typing this kid as a long haired Indian so he must have had lice because they are so dirty and uncivilized, Jack? Most of the aboriginal people I know prefer aboriginal to First Nations, because the government coined that phrase because it has no legal standing in international law, where as Aboriginal person does (as far as I know. If I am wrong, I hope Bear corrects me on that.)

As far as you being a racist, you just proved it, so if the shoe fits....

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
When all else fails...

and why do I surprise you? Ths ******* ******* asaulted a child, and your reply looks like you are ******** condoning what this brainless ******* did.

Moderator's Edit: Cleaned up the language.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Bad idea. Many of us firefighters do a head shave to raise money for cancer research. I can't speak for all firefighters but I most certainly do NOT want this person(?) looking like one of us.
Criminal charges would be better, like assault with a weapon. Makes you wonder what kind of job screening that school board doesn't do. Back in the sixties when I was in elementary school we had a Jesus freak teacher take it upon herself to cut a kids hair. Not much was done about it then but now that is simply not permissible.

I can see your point. I retract that statement. How about a public flogging?:idea:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
The woman should be put on display in the public square, and shaved bald.
She should also be fired, as this display of thoughlessness and disrespect she showed, will show up again, obviously it is deeply inbedded in her thought process.
She needs a different line of work, possibly shovelling cow manure.

The person mentioning the possibility of 'lice' should bow his in shame, the schools
have a lice check at the beginning of every school year, for all students.
Why does he quickly mention 'lice', he must be familiar with the problem, first hand.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
You have got to be the lowest peice of sh*t I have ever had the misfortune to read.
I never knew that you and I would ever truly agree on something. I have him on ignore but since I got to view what he said through your post - I fully agree with you. Thanks for putting it to words.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Jack,

Nope. That's not enough Cliff. I shouldn't even read this thread. The TA really infuriates me and if it was up to me - I'd have banned that piece of crap YJ a long time ago. Putting up with him once was enough. The TA should be fired.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Aboriginal is the best handle I know of for the original people who lived here before Europeans over ran the joint and raped and pillaged this land.

I would like to know the name you think you deserve to be called for stereo typing this kid as a long haired Indian so he must have had lice because they are so dirty and uncivilized, Jack? Most of the aboriginal people I know prefer aboriginal to First Nations, because the government coined that phrase because it has no legal standing in international law, where as Aboriginal person does (as far as I know. If I am wrong, I hope Bear corrects me on that.)

As far as you being a racist, you just proved it, so if the shoe fits....
There are all kinds of natives. Native Canadians, Native Americans, Native Indians.
For all his hoot and holler - YJ is not a native Canadian and should not be the least bit disturbed by anyone using the term native. We've always used the term native indian and will continue to do so.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Heard about this on radio.

Good chance a public service was performed. You know, preventing lice infestation.

Y.J. You have to change with the times, in 2009 this incident is politically incorrect and I think for good reason. I know when we went to school back in the 1700s, things were different, it would have been taken as "the kid needed a haircut". What amazes me is the teacher's aide didn't know better. If lice was the concern don't you think she should have taken the boy to the nurse & then the nurse would have dealt with the parents and the T.A. was have avoided any involvement? You have to use your smarts there, Y.J. (Do you ever feel like you are going the wrong way down a one way street and all the traffic is coming toward you?)

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Is semantics worth making enemies over Y.J.?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The woman should be put on display in the public square, and shaved bald.
She should also be fired, as this display of thoughlessness and disrespect she showed, will show up again, obviously it is deeply inbedded in her thought process.
She needs a different line of work, possibly shovelling cow manure.

The person mentioning the possibility of 'lice' should bow his in shame, the schools
have a lice check at the beginning of every school year, for all students.
Why does he quickly mention 'lice', he must be familiar with the problem, first hand.

My first reaction was that the woman should be tarred and feathered and run out of town on a rail. BUT, I guess that sort of action would never solve ignorance. That poor kid will remember that day for the rest of his life. I'll always remember the quote "I can't remember what you did to me and I can't remember what you said to me, but I'll never forget the way you made me feel" Most times it just takes a little thought.