Will They Hate Us for the Secret Photographs?

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
by Jacob G. Hornberger

Recall that immediately after 9/11, U.S. officials put out the official version of what had motivated the terrorists. “They hate America for its freedom and values,” they cried. The anger and hatred that had motivated the attackers had nothing to do with U.S. foreign policy, U.S. officials claimed.

Yet, today we have President Obama, on the extreme urging of the Pentagon, reneging not only on his campaign promise of “transparency” but also on the commitment U.S. officials made to release the latest batch of torture photos that the Pentagon has kept hidden for some five years.

What are Obama and the Pentagon using as an excuse to keep these photographs secret? They’re saying that foreigners will get angry if they see photographic evidence of bad things that U.S. officials have been doing to foreigners as part of U.S. foreign policy since 9/11.

Isn’t that an implicit admission that foreigners do get angry over the bad things that the U.S. government does as part of its foreign policy? Wouldn’t the same principle apply to the bad things that the U.S. government was doing to people in the Middle East as part of U.S. foreign policy before 9/11?

Well, let’s review the bad things that the U.S. government was doing to people in the Middle East prior to 9/11.

1. The U.S. government supported Saddam Hussein, whom U.S. officials at a later date portrayed as the new Hitler. In fact, the reason the President Bush and Vice-President Cheney were certain that their invasion of Iraq would uncover WMDs is because they still had the receipts for the WMDs that the U.S. had delivered to Saddam during the 1980s so that he could use them to kill the Iranian people.

2. The U.S. government intervened in the Persian Gulf War, after having signaled to Saddam that it had no interest in the Iraq-Kuwait border dispute, killing countless Iraqis in the process. It was during that war that the Pentagon ordered the destruction of Iraqi water and sewage facilities after determining that doing so would help spread infection and disease among the Iraqi people.

3. The U.S. government and the UN (operating at the behest of the U.S. government) imposed a system of brutal sanctions for more than 10 years against Iraq, which prevented the country from repairing its water and sewage facilities, resulting in the deaths of hundreds of thousands of Iraqi children.

4. Speaking on behalf of the U.S. government, U.S. Ambassador to the UN Madeleine Albright announced to the world that the deaths of half-a-million Iraqi children from the sanctions had been “worth it.”

5. U.S. officials establish “no-fly zones” over Iraq, without the consent of Congress or the UN, which kill more Iraqis.

6. U.S. officials station U.S. troops, who are viewed as infidels by many Muslims, near Mecca and Medina, which are considered among the holiest lands in the Muslim religion.

7. U.S. officials continued unconditional financial and military aid to the Israeli government.
If people in the Middle East would get so angry at seeing some more photographs depicting sex abuse of prisoners at the hands of U.S. personnel that U.S. national security would be threatened, as Obama and the Pentagon are now claiming, doesn’t it stand to reason that they’d get just as angry, if not more so, over the much worse things that the U.S. government was doing in the Middle East prior to 9/11? And doesn’t that imply that the “they hate us for our freedom and values” line was bogus from the get-go?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
by Jacob G. Hornberger

Recall that immediately after 9/11, U.S. officials put out the official version of what had motivated the terrorists. “They hate America for its freedom and values,” they cried. The anger and hatred that had motivated the attackers had nothing to do with U.S. foreign policy, U.S. officials claimed.

Yet, today we have President Obama, on the extreme urging of the Pentagon, reneging not only on his campaign promise of “transparency” but also on the commitment U.S. officials made to release the latest batch of torture photos that the Pentagon has kept hidden for some five years.

What are Obama and the Pentagon using as an excuse to keep these photographs secret? They’re saying that foreigners will get angry if they see photographic evidence of bad things that U.S. officials have been doing to foreigners as part of U.S. foreign policy since 9/11.

Isn’t that an implicit admission that foreigners do get angry over the bad things that the U.S. government does as part of its foreign policy? Wouldn’t the same principle apply to the bad things that the U.S. government was doing to people in the Middle East as part of U.S. foreign policy before 9/11?

Well, let’s review the bad things that the U.S. government was doing to people in the Middle East prior to 9/11.

1. The U.S. government supported Saddam Hussein, whom U.S. officials at a later date portrayed as the new Hitler. In fact, the reason the President Bush and Vice-President Cheney were certain that their invasion of Iraq would uncover WMDs is because they still had the receipts for the WMDs that the U.S. had delivered to Saddam during the 1980s so that he could use them to kill the Iranian people.

Bull****. The US gov't delivered very little material aid to Iraq in the Iraq-Iran War.....and NO WDMs. Mostly it was spare parts, trucks, helicopters (unarmed). Meanwhile, Russia and China sold BILLIONS of dollars of armanents to Saddam......and France and Germany (no less) tried to arm them nuclearly and chemically.....THEY were afraid of what the US would find that would implicate them, that's why they opposed the war.

2. The U.S. government intervened in the Persian Gulf War, after having signaled to Saddam that it had no interest in the Iraq-Kuwait border dispute, killing countless Iraqis in the process. It was during that war that the Pentagon ordered the destruction of Iraqi water and sewage facilities after determining that doing so would help spread infection and disease among the Iraqi people.

Infrastructure is a legitimate target. And the US did NOT indicate Saddam could invade Kuwait with impunity......

3. The U.S. government and the UN (operating at the behest of the U.S. government) imposed a system of brutal sanctions for more than 10 years against Iraq, which prevented the country from repairing its water and sewage facilities, resulting in the deaths of hundreds of thousands of Iraqi children.

Crap. Saddam built 32 palaces during the "sanctions" and completely subverted and corrupted the UN infrastructure in the "oil for food" program....if anyone in Iraq suffered any lack of anything....it was because Saddam was with holding it.

4. Speaking on behalf of the U.S. government, U.S. Ambassador to the UN Madeleine Albright announced to the world that the deaths of half-a-million Iraqi children from the sanctions had been “worth it.”

Albright is an idiot, and no children died because of sanctions, they died because of Saddam Hussein.

5. U.S. officials establish “no-fly zones” over Iraq, without the consent of Congress or the UN, which kill more Iraqis.

HUH???? How do "no-fly" zones kill????? Reaching.....

6. U.S. officials station U.S. troops, who are viewed as infidels by many Muslims, near Mecca and Medina, which are considered among the holiest lands in the Muslim religion.

I guess we should have let Saddam have the entire place, eh?????? :roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

7. U.S. officials continued unconditional financial and military aid to the Israeli government.

Excellent! I'm glad we continue to support western democracies against medieval fascist states.

If people in the Middle East would get so angry at seeing some more photographs depicting sex abuse of prisoners at the hands of U.S. personnel that U.S. national security would be threatened, as Obama and the Pentagon are now claiming, doesn’t it stand to reason that they’d get just as angry, if not more so, over the much worse things that the U.S. government was doing in the Middle East prior to 9/11? And doesn’t that imply that the “they hate us for our freedom and values” line was bogus from the get-go?

Where do you find this stuff????

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
No Lester you were manageing, steering, helpin things go the neo-con way. There ain't much goodness in you though.
:D I keep telling people I have no goodness in me, but they refuse to listen. I also don't have any badness either, but the people that aren't in the group of people that don't believe me that I don't have any goodness in me, don't believe me that I don't have any badness in me.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
The Illuminati Reptilians?... I love those guys! If you ever get the chance, get yourself invited to the New World order Christmas Mixer that they have at the Westin every year. It is a real blast.

Truth be told, that's where all the best 'secret' pictures originate.
Illuminati Reptilians? I'll wait for the Ninja Turtles. Better chance of a pizza buffet.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
:D I keep telling people I have no goodness in me, but they refuse to listen. I also don't have any badness either, but the people that aren't in the group of people that don't believe me that I don't have any goodness in me, don't believe me that I don't have any badness in me.

No matter how much you tell me otherwise... I just KNOW you are full of all kinds of goodness.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
When I read this transcript it sure sounds to me like the US Ambassador is giving Hussein a green light to invade Kuwait...
APRIL GLASPIE TRANSCRIPT

The US never directly supplied Hussein with WMDs. But they did give Iraq the technology and training required to make their own WMDs... along with France, Britain and even Canada:
United States support for Iraq during the Iran–Iraq war - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Even after Hussein used CW against civilians, the US continued to support Hussein and sell Iraq CW technology:
Halabja: How Bush Sr. Continued to Support Saddam After the 1988 Gassing of Thousands And Bush Jr. Used it As a Pretext For War 15 Years Later

But if you want to know why al Qaeda and a majority of Arabs and Muslims hate the US, its pretty clear in this Osama Bin Laden interview:

REPORTER: Mr. Bin Ladin, you've declared a jihad against the United States. Can you tell us why? And is the jihad directed against the US government or the United States' troops in Arabia? What about US civilians in Arabia or the people of the United States?

BIN LADIN: We declared jihad against the US government, because...

Osama Bin Laden Interview

Just because Americans are mostly ignorant of American foriegn policy and are oblivious to the millions of people their governments have killed directly or indirectly over the years, doesn't mean that they didn't happen or that hundreds of millions of people hold grudges against the US.

The photos should be revealed eventually. But right now it would be a distraction. Obama has bigger fish to fry...

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
We have to remember that a lot of nazi soldiers escaped to America and later became government agents for America and they taught them the torture techniques that they learned in the concentration camps.