Ei reforms

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
TORONTO - Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff sent his clearest signal yet that an election may be imminent if Prime Minister Stephen Harper and his minority government fail to reform Employment Insurance by the summer.

"My party wants to get Mr. Harper to make some constructive changes on EI before this summer," Ignatieff said late Thursday in a speech to a labour union.

"And I'm telling you straight and I'm telling you clear: I cannot continue to make Parliament work unless we get substantive EI reform before this Parliament rises in June."

Ignatieff's comments came a day after Harper shot down his demand to set a national minimum threshold of 360 hours to collect EI benefits as a temporary measure during the recession. Currently, eligibility and benefits vary by region.

The Opposition leader urged Harper to rethink his position, and insisted that he's doing his best to make Parliament work.

"That's what Canadians are overwhelmingly saying: 'Try to make it work.' So I'm trying to make that work," Ignatieff said after the speech.

"But I can't back down on an issue as fundamental as EI. This affects hundreds of thousands of Canadians."

Harper's aides have stressed the prime minister has not entirely closed the door to further EI changes - just the type being proposed by the opposition - which they argue would increase payroll taxes.

The Liberals say the proposal would cost taxpayers $1.5 billion a year, but would only be a short-lived measure.

It marked a policy shift for the Liberals, who in the 1990s tightened EI eligibility rules to between 420 hours and 910 hours worked, depending on various factors.

However, both leaders appear to be girding for an election over EI, with Harper declaring himself ready to "take him on" over the issue.

Adding fuel to the fire are recent Conservative attack ads depicting Ignatieff as a long-absent political opportunist. Ignatieff fired back Thursday, warning that his party will soon retaliate with their own ads.

"I don't see why I need to reply in kind. Somebody's got to keep the bar up in the right place," he said.

"But we will reply. We will have vigorous ads attacking their record, you bet."

The Liberal ads will target the government's "skyrocketing" deficit and its failure to get much-needed stimulus funds out the door to kick-start the economy, he said.

"These are serious failings that the country needs to know about," he said.

Ignatieff condemned the Tories for launching the "offensive" ads while the country was suffering through its worst economic crisis in generations.

"When you're down in the polls, when you're presiding over the worst collapse in employment in recent memory, when you've got record bankruptcies everywhere you look, the thing you're going to do if you're in government and responsible for this mess - you want to change the channel, and that's what they're trying to do," he said.

Ignatieff also took aim at Harper, saying he dismisses those who live and work outside the country as "somehow less Canadian."

He says whenever Harper is in a jam, he retreats to the politics of division, pitting one group against another.

Ignatieff says while he's spent many years abroad - like many other citizens - he's still Canadian.

"Canadians who chose to work outside the country don't pretend that Canada is not their country," said Dimitri Soudas, a spokesman for Harper.

"This is not about Mr. Ignatieff being out of the country for 34 years, it has to do with the fact that he came back only to become Prime Minister and openly says he will leave again if he doesn't get his way."

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
And the last thing we need right now is another freaking election. Cripes! How about we get past this recession first and THEN you idiotic politicians can run your "precious election".:roll:

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
The other thing in this post is that Ignatieff is complaining about the Conservatives spending too much but he wants them to spend 1.5 million to "fix" the EI program. He complains about the Conservative attack ads (which I admit I wish they would not resort to) but admits they will soon be launching their own in retaliation. All this so he can come up with an excuse to spend even more money on an election that none of us want right now. We certainly don't need to spend useless money on another election right now. There are far too many things that take priority. If he has made it clear that he will leave Canada if he does not win such an election then there is no reason to elect him anyway. Maybe that's the reason for him wanting an election in the first place. He's probably been gone for so long he doesn't like it here and I would imagine he's missing friends.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Fixing EI is a band-aid on a gash. The stitches to close the gash would be boosting support for businesses that look to the future that enables them to research and develop good, clean technologies, and hire people to help them do the R&D; not propping up failing old businesses. Harpy's an arrogant, errant loser, Iggy is an arrogant, bombastic PET-wannabe, and Lameton is a bombastic idiot.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Ei reform will be a moot point by the time an election occurs, a new PM is crowned etc.if it is going to be reformed it has to be done now

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I figure the Conservative ads slamming Iggy Go Home spell election soon....

Probably. I can't understand why anyone would even spend money or much time on anti-whosit ads. All that does is provoke the same nitpicking, derogatory ads in reply and alienate voters. I think Iggy is smarter than Harpy because he seems to be content with letting Harpy dangle himself by doing stupid things.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
It's time for an election and when the Conservatives lose they need a new leader because Harper is starting to get a conscience and this is a no-no in the Reform/Conservative party

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Gilbert

This government is broken and the Liberal government is the ony party that can fix it like before with the PC party.

Our government leader will not answer questions that the public is asking this government is on the verge of a ***tatorship so you can bury your head a in the sand.

The Canadian people has to bring in a majority government no matter how many times they have to vote.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
a Glib gov't the only thing to save Canuckville? roflmao That's just as funny as saying the Con gov't is the only thing that can save Canuckville.
Better my head in the sand than being like you and have it up the a$$.
Canuckville with a majority Glib gov't? BC might as well separate along with AB, SK, and MN.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Gilbert

This government is broken and the Liberal government is the ony party that can fix it like before with the PC party.

Our government leader will not answer questions that the public is asking this government is on the verge of a ***tatorship so you can bury your head a in the sand.

The Canadian people has to bring in a majority government no matter how many times they have to vote.
This government is not broken. Maybe a little cracked but not broken. The Liberal party cannot fix anything because they are broken. When you start pulling in Americans to fix things - you are broken. Do not mistake the fact that Ignatieff is American. Just because his passport says Canadian, does not mean that 34 years in the USA has not made him an American. It has. He is here to bolster his resume if he can manage it and for no other reason. I think he has eyes on the United Nations for the position as the Secretary General. Being the PM for Canada would certainly add to his resume.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
This government is not broken. Maybe a little cracked but not broken. The Liberal party cannot fix anything because they are broken. When you start pulling in Americans to fix things - you are broken. Do not mistake the fact that Ignatieff is American. Just because his passport says Canadian, does not mean that 34 years in the USA has not made him an American. It has. He is here to bolster his resume if he can manage it and for no other reason. I think he has eyes on the United Nations for the position as the Secretary General. Being the PM for Canada would certainly add to his resume.
Pretty much. Like I said, he's a PET wannabe...... same arrogance without as much intelligence and charisma.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Feat would be the word. lol
Of the available parties/ leaders therof, none would be the answer. Politics is called "politics" for a reason.

Main Entry: pol·i·tics Pronunciation: \ˈpä-lə-ˌtiks\ Function: noun plural but singular or plural in construction Etymology: Greek politika, from neuter plural of politikos political Date: circa 1529 1 a: the art or science of government b: the art or science concerned with guiding or influencing governmental policy c: the art or science concerned with winning and holding control over a government2: political actions, practices, or policies3 a: political affairs or business ; especially : competition between competing interest groups or individuals for power and leadership (as in a government) b: political life especially as a principal activity or profession c: political activities characterized by artful and often dishonest practices4: the political opinions or sympathies of a person5 a: the total complex of relations between people living in society b: relations or conduct in a particular area of experience especially as seen or dealt with from a political point of view <office politics> <ethnic politics>
: Merriam-Webster

The intent is to have the power, not to do any good for Canaduans.

jjaycee98

Electoral Member
Jan 27, 2006
British Columbia
Sorry...did not mean the poster-I meant the reporter. Seems all these "talking heads" can't stick to a subject without trying to appear to know everything about everything. Drives me nuts the way they have to repeat everything that has happened for the last month in one news article. I think they should pick a topic and report and leave the rest of the happenings in the world for another day.