Mystery of message in a bottle found at Auschwitz solved

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
1 day ago
WARSAW (AFP) — Sixty-five years ago Waclaw Sobczak hid a message in a bottle between the bricks of a wall in a building of the Nazi German Auschwitz-Birkenau death camp, a last sign of life as he prepared to die.
"I put the bottle in the wall," Sobczak, 84, who survived Auschwitz but still bears the ID number -- 145664 -- the Nazis tattooed on his forearm, told AFP via telephone from his home in Wrabczyn, western Poland.
"It was an attempt to leave a trace of our existence as we thought we were going to die," said Sobczak, sent to Auschwitz in 1943 as a slave labourer.
The note in the bottle written September 20, 1944 included Sobczak's name and Auschwitz ID number along with those of five other fellow Poles and one Frenchman, all Auschwitz slaves at the time aged 18 to 20.
It was found in April by chance by workers demolishing a wall in what is now a school, but was part of the death camp during World War II.
Since, it has emerged that three of the men on the list are still alive.
"We were taught how to be masons by engineers and master masons, primarily French Jews," said Karol Czekalski, 83, another of the Poles named on the list, which was formally handed over to the Auschwitz-Birkenau museum in southern Poland, this month.
"From the spring of 1944 some of the apprentices were deemed ready to work," he added. "They joined the 'Luftschutzbunkerbau' responsible for building anti-air raid bunkers."
"We were used for various jobs: plastering, laying tiles... Finally we were chosen to construct this building. It took 8 or 15 days. I vaguely remember some faces. I am certain there was a Frenchman among us," Sobczak recalled, but admitted he cannot remember who came up with idea to write the message.
"Someone found a bottle. I put it in the wall," he said.
The Frenchman on the list was Albert Veissid, now a sprightly 84 and living at Allauch in southeastern France.
"It's incredible. I remember everything from the camp, from A to Z. As I speak to you now, I can see the images before my eyes," he told AFP after the bottle surfaced.
"But this bottle business is an enigma. The biggest surprise of my life," said the former fairground worker, who was arrested by collaborationist French authorities in 1943 and deported to Poland the following year.
Veissid said that while it was a mystery to him how his name appeared on the list, he remembered meeting the six Poles in question while working as a builder at the camp.
"It's true I did them some favours. There was food supplied upstairs and they used to steal tubs of marmalade, which I would hide downstairs," he said.
"Maybe they wrote my name in the bottle as a way of thanking me."
After news of the bottle's discovery spread, a Swedish woman identified the man who wrote the list -- Bronislaw Jankowiak, Auschwitz ID number 121213 -- as her father.
Told about the discovery of the bottled message by relatives in Poland, Irene Jankowiak, 49, said she was stunned.
"I recognised the handwriting. It must be my father's handwriting," Jankowiak told AFP by telephone from her home in Uppsala, north of Stockholm.
"We have compared it to other things he has written, we have old letters and things that he wrote in 1945 in a diary so I'm 100 percent sure actually," she said after seeing photos of the list in published in the local media.
Born in 1926 in Poznan, Bronislaw Jankowiak, a Catholic Pole who was sent to the camp in 1943, fled to Sweden in 1945 where he worked in a factory for typewriters and calculators in Aatvidaberg, in southern Sweden, and died in 1997.
"I think it made him suffer, he wanted to forget it. We asked our parents to write, to leave testimony, but they never wanted to," Irene's sister Margareta told AFP.
Nazi Germany systematically killed more than one million people, mostly European Jews, at the Auschwitz-Birkenau camp located in the then Nazi-occupied southern Polish town of Oswiecim between 1940 and 1945.
Among the camp's other victims were tens of thousands of non-Jewish Poles, Soviet prisoners of war, gypsies, and anti-Nazi resistance fighters from across Europe.
Auschwitz-Birkenau was liberated by Soviet troops on January 27, 1945, three months before Nazi Germany was finally defeated by the Allies.
The infamous site was part of German dictator Adolf Hitler's plan of genocide against European Jews, six million of whom perished at the hands of the Nazis during World War II.
Copyright © 2009 AFP. All rights reserved.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
It is nice to see that it was not a hoax. A little piece of the past that survived so many years away from human eyes.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
L Gilbert ,
Thought there already was a thread about this.

Yes there was and it says so in the title of this thread :

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
So you couldn't attach your post in that thread?
Some mod finally amalgamated all the Palestine/Israel threads into one. But apparently it was all for nought, because people seem to want multiple threads dealing with the same issues. Doesn't make any sense to me, but whatever .....

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
So you couldn't attach your post in that thread?
Some mod finally amalgamated all the Palestine/Israel threads into one. But apparently it was all for nought, because people seem to want multiple threads dealing with the same issues. Doesn't make any sense to me, but whatever .....

The first one was about the bottle being found. This one was about the contents of the bottle being described and the people who's names were in it contacted.

There were dozens of threads regarding the other topic. Two will be the limit for this one(as we have been really busy with a lot of other things here). If there was an official complaint about this, then we could have merged the two.

I don't expect that there will be a third thread about this topic.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I read there were some 60 threads dealing with the Israel/Palestine thing, yes. Multiple threads dealing with one basic topic still doesn't make sense to me.

Honestly Les, this one isn't anything to worry about. Besides the insane number of threads about that other topic, the viterol that came out of people into their posts was out of this world.8O

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
hehehe I know. I guess I am just too efficient to think that more than one thread about something is sensible.
Was just wondering how many threads there are about Afghanistan, too.

I am not certain. They might end up in that one big thread too.;-)

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Consolodation and control of information is the cardinal sin, isn't it? It's managed here enough, we wouldn't want to appear to be marginalizing certain subjects would we? Why yes of course we would, have another cheeze burger.
The sun never sets on bankers, they never sleep, there is nary a rock left that they have not slithered under, no foul fetid hole they do not drink at. I'll cloister myself to poetry threads anon and contemplate the changeing odour of my boots.:lol:

einmensch

Electoral Member
Mar 1, 2008
Thought there already was a thread about this.:geek:
Anyway, I noticed Einmensch didn't post a word in the other thread, wonder if he'll post a word of denial here.

What is there to deny? A few convicts placed a note in a bottle and one of them was a jew. Most are still alive?--any of them gassed?
Nice to see you are paying soooo much attention to me--

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
"We have compared it to other things he has written, we have old letters and things that he wrote in 1945 in a diary so I'm 100 percent sure actually,"

Were these ever published?

einmensch

Electoral Member
Mar 1, 2008
And he was convicted of what? Being Jewish?

That is the Jewish perspective--there are no Jewish crimminals???

The National Association of Forensic Criminologists, Archeologists, Skeptics and Historians ™

Year
Source
AUSCHWITZ
Death Toll
MAJDANEK
Death Toll
Source Verification

Proven at the
Nuremberg show trial
HERE

Jewish historian
Lucy Dawidowicz
The War Against
The Jews

Official Polish
government sources
HERE

Camp museum
officials
1,100,000 *
78,000 *
HERE
THE

TRUTH

Documents found in
Russian archives
HERE
Percent of this holocaust within the holocaust - THAT DIDN’T HAPPEN
98.172 %
97.185 %
SKEPTICAL INQUIRY
& COMMON SENSE
* These are figures that virtually all historians (and jews) now accept as MAXIMUM

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Can we NOT have yet another thread go down the tubes?:roll:

Does this not sound like a debate about religion where beliefs are based on hearsay and people get really upset when you try to present facts to refute their beliefs. That this subject has become so taboo (being outlawed in some countries) tells me that there is something very fishy about the official position. I have no facts, just a suspicion based on past experience with the thought police.

Who are the brain police?" - Frank Zappa