Royal Assent Is Just A Nod

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
I read in the Globe and Mail Style Book that royal assent by the Gov-Gen is not picking up a pen and signing a bill that the Commons has passed, but merely nodding. page 358. (2003)

How laughable, this is so embarrassing. The GG is one piece of do nothing deadwood. I mean, how can you tell if she nods or not? How about a wink instead? Why wouldn't a curl of the lip do?

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Hmm, I seem to recall that the Governor general actually has to appear in the House of Commons and declare the bills which she has given royal assent to, as well as providing the proper documentation. Recently she had to come back from vacation for just such an event in the emergency that the liberal-and-co were going to show non-confidence and so the Conservatives wanted an early end to Parliament.

I am unsure if you are merely being hyperbolic or what.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Yes, I'm kind of joking, but why wouldn't be sticking out your tongue be okay for royal assent?

Writing is a conscious act of civilization, it is a sign of learning, it means you know what you're doing and you understand what you're signing. Signing is understood to mean responsibility for your actions. We sign contracts because an obligation has been created and an ongoing relationship has begun.

But what is a nod? Sure, yup, uh-huh, yeah, ay-ay, yes boss. The GG just needs to nod at a stack of paper and laws are suddenly in force? This is a democracy?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
But what is a nod? Sure, yup, uh-huh, yeah, ay-ay, yes boss. The GG just needs to nod at a stack of paper and laws are suddenly in force? This is a democracy?

What is a signature? What is a stamp?

If everyone sees a nod, it holds just as much water as any of our other symbolic gestures/symbols/actions.