Private-clinic testing questioned

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Screening scans pose risk, UVic study shows
Pamela FayermanVancouver Sun

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Health consumers are largely naive about radiation and other risks that come with full-body and other screening tests marketed by private clinics, a University of Victoria health policy researcher says.
Alan Cassels, co-author of a recent report published by the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives, said people seem to think early detection of any disease is safe and always a good thing if it is under the guise of so-called preventive medicine.
"But offering for sale [for up to $2,500] heart, lung or full-body scans to healthy people with no symptoms is questionable, controversial, unregulated and not even recommended by professional associations of radiologists," he said.
Apart from radiation exposure, people can receive false positive findings and then be subjected to further medical tests that are usually done in the public medicare system.
It is estimated that for every 100 people who have a full-body CT scan, 30 to 80 will be told about an anomaly that needs further, sometimes invasive, investigation but that turns out to be a false alarm, said the report.
CT exams provide detailed images of internal organs and help doctors make diagnoses and guide medical treatment decisions. But they expose patients to a higher radiation dose than most other imaging tests such as plain X-rays. No one in Canada collects data on the number of scans done in the private system.
The Canadian Cancer Society suggests there are only three tests with sufficient evidence to warrant screening of people with no symptoms; for breast, colorectal and cervical cancers, none of which involve CT scans. Health Canada recommends against full-body CT scans in healthy people, as does the FDA in the U.S.
Cassels' report looked at how well Canadian consumers are informed about the benefits and harms of screening technology such as CT and PET scans.
Part of the report refers to a survey of 400 Canadians. Of those, 10 per cent said that even though they had no symptoms, they had paid privately for a CT scan of their lungs, heart, colon or whole body, just to find out if they had any problems.
The survey also revealed:
- 40 per cent have heard about private screening tests through the media or ads.
- 65 per cent said they thought if a scan detected a potential problem, the person would be more likely to live longer.
- Respondents said they would rather receive a free full-body CT scan than a $1,000 cheque.
- Two-thirds of respondents said they didn't believe there were any risks related to CT scans, or didn't know about them.
- Only 18 per cent of respondents correctly stated that CT scans had more radiation than conventional X-rays; nearly a third wrongly thought there was less.
According to the Canadian Institutes of Health Information, the number of private clinics in Canada with CT scanners increased from two in 2000 to 21 in 2007 (including about six in B.C.)
"Canadian consumers are generally misinformed about the reliability and safety of different screening tests and lack access to effective, consumer-oriented guidance around these screening procedures," the report says.
A recent article in The Medical Post, a publication primarily for doctors, stated that one CT of the heart was equivalent to about 600 chest X-rays.
Radiation dose from imaging equipment is measured in millisieverts (mSv). A CT of the heart exposes an individual to an estimated radiation dose of 12 mSv.
A Vancouver resident has an estimated background radiation of about 2.5 mSv in a year.
In this month's journal Radiology, Boston researchers said patients who have many CT scans in their lifetime may be at increased risk for cancer from the accumulated exposure to radiation.
Cassels said it is appropriate to use such diagnostic tools on those at high risk of diseases or to diagnose and treat those with suspected or diagnosed cancer or other suspected or diagnosed diseases.
But with the advent of corporate or private pay "executive health checkup programs" the use of such high-tech screening is growing and should be regulated.
"It is clear the information consumers receive from the proponents of such tests is often unbalanced, exaggerating the effectiveness of the screening and downplaying or avoiding discussion of any potential harms," the study states.
Sun Health Issues reporter
After reading this would you rush to a private clinic? Thoughts?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I really don't like the medical system, period and private clinics are run by the greedy who will talk you into stuff you don't need. As far as I'm concerned, doctors are mostly glorified drug pushers.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I really don't like the medical system, period and private clinics are run by the greedy who will talk you into stuff you don't need. As far as I'm concerned, doctors are mostly glorified drug pushers.

yep, I think there is always that risk. I've been pretty lucky, had one doc who would give me a prescription and then say "wait until Monday before you fill it and I'm pretty sure by then you won't need it"- he was right pretty well every time. But unfortunately our society has developed a "drugstore mentality". One of the problems is the idiot box - 47 ads a day pushing one drug or another (and funny how just about every one of them can screw up your liver or your pregnancy)

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
What gets me, particularly on US TV, is all the side effects they tell you about. Makes you want to run right out and get effected. Its kinda like the old cigarette ads where they had subliminal death scenes hidden in the images. Bizarre how the human mind works. "Ya! Lets go out and get messed up! Yahoo!"

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Well. What is it?

Because dimwitted people will (and do, on US TV) see ads for presrcription drugs, and then demand them as treatement for whatever condition they may or may not have, and occasionally, when the doctor wants to prescribe something different, which might be a better fit, they lodge a complaint against the doctor.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

We shouldn't be alarmed though it's how a healthy vibrant capitalist economy matures they say, it really is all about efficiencies I rekon. If we appreciate the power of drug manufacturers we can see plainly the logical need for the complementry highly educated pushers, and then we have to build and maintain a market, children are our future .
Now to continue to make it all work smoothly we need to encourage private enterprize like this because the government can't run it properly you know. We've been begging government to stay out of private bizziness for decades, it's just this sort of alarmist public service rubbish that's causeing the depression you know. We don't need any regulation we need cheaper CT machines and private investment, like banks, this is about saving lives, efficiently.

DBs Wholesale Bulk Scans
competative rates
disease is our business

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
It is estimated that for every 100 people who have a full-body CT scan, 30 to 80 will be told about an anomaly that needs further, sometimes invasive, investigation but that turns out to be a false alarm, said the report.

Well, that says it all.

Don't bother unless you have symptoms.

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
What gets me, particularly on US TV, is all the side effects they tell you about. Makes you want to run right out and get effected.

No joke, there was an HILARIOUS ad running a month or two ago on some syndicated US radio program for this "anti sniffle" crap , some kind of nasal spray I believe. The ad was just doofuses talking with their noses pinched complaining about how awful "sniffles" were, and that this product really helped. Then the side effects- and this probably sounds like complete jive but I swear it is the actual wacky truth- supposedly, the crap could cause nasal infections, nasal fungus, nasal irritation (which seems to defeat the purpose) and the kicker- eye infections AND make you highly susceptible to developing CATARACTS (it helpfully urged you to get checked for them regularly if you used the crap)

Sniffle relief or your friggin EYESIGHT?!?!? Pass the kleenex eh?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
We need sick people ya see, so we got to do it ourselves ya know, like we can't wait for nature to make clients ya see, we got to be proactive ya know, like we got to move the ball accross them lines see. If we're carefull we'll actually avoid healing anyone with the junk. funny how it is eh