China Targets 100 GW Wind Power Capacity By 2020

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
China Targets 100 GW Wind Power Capacity By 2020 - Official4-20-09 2:10 AM EDT | E-mail Article | Print ArticleBEIJING -(Dow Jones)- China aims to achieve an installed wind power capacity of 100 gigawatts by 2020, more than eight times installed capacity as of the end of 2008 and more than three times the original target, Fang Junshi, an official with the National Energy Administration, said Monday.
The new target underlines the rapid development of wind power in the country in recent years, following the introduction of preferential policies with the intent of significantly lifting the percentage of renewable energy in the total energy mix. However, China will still need 900-1,000 gigawatts of coal-fired power generation capacity in 2020, said Fang, a director with the NEA's coal department.
The country is expected to have a total of 1,400-1,500 gigawatts of power generation capacity by that time, he said.
As a result, demand for coal will likely grow 20% from current levels to around 3.4 billion metric tons a year in 2020, including 2 billion tons of thermal coal, Fang said.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
From what I hear China should clean up its air but Canada is a looooooong way away from being the polluted cesspool China is.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
From what I hear China should clean up its air but Canada is a looooooong way away from being the polluted cesspool China is.
Yes China is in a bad shape with the air pollution but as you can see in the above post something is done to reduce and fix the problem .On the other hand what you are saying is ,Canada doesn't have to worry about pollution until someone from China calls Canada "the cesspool of North America " ,right ?

Last edited:

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
I'm saying that in my experience the air quality in Canada is great and I don't see any reason why we should start cleaning up our air just because the Chinese have finally gotten around to cleaning up theirs.

Your claim is that we should start cleaning up our air. Your warrant for that claim is that the Chinese are doing it.

My point is that the Chinese need to while we do not.