radio attack ads against Old Dutch chips

miniboss

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2007
I'm back again. I find these attack ads very funny, because who ever thought of producing them is an idiot. They are complaining that they don't get sick days, I've worked for the same company for 16 years now, and I don't get sick days. I don't complain about it either. I've been sick enough to stay home 3 times, in 16 years, calling in sick for the first time, after 10 years. Now in the time of massive layoffs, is not the time for negotiations, you do what you can to keep your job, and keep your mouth shut. If I were Old Dutch, just to teach the union a lesson, I would let go 50 people, there will be 50 more to replace them the next day. Sighting the attack ads are reducing revenue, so they got to go. When is the union going to learn, you don't try to bite the hand that feeds you.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I'm back again. I find these attack ads very funny, because who ever thought of producing them is an idiot. They are complaining that they don't get sick days, I've worked for the same company for 16 years now, and I don't get sick days. I don't complain about it either. I've been sick enough to stay home 3 times, in 16 years, calling in sick for the first time, after 10 years. Now in the time of massive layoffs, is not the time for negotiations, you do what you can to keep your job, and keep your mouth shut. If I were Old Dutch, just to teach the union a lesson, I would let go 50 people, there will be 50 more to replace them the next day. Sighting the attack ads are reducing revenue, so they got to go. When is the union going to learn, you don't try to bite the hand that feeds you.
I work for a union. I do not get sick days. I can work 40 hours a week if I want to - I have enough seniority but even if I work that number of hours, I am still classified as part time. Part time does not get sick time.
I do agree with you regarding holding onto your job during these times. Young people don't seem to agree. Out of the last 6 cashiers trained, only 1 of them is still working. One walked in the middle of her first shift. Said it "wasn't for her". It's hard work. I guess she wanted the owners job. I have no idea why the other four left. Some older ladies have been hired on. They'll stay. All they have to do is work 3 days a week to get medical and it's good medical. I had no idea how good until I tried it. I have not paid one penny for any prescriptions in the past couple of months. I have a couple of on going meds. and while my husband has a great plan, I don't even need to send them into his plan. Stick with your job. You could come out of this recession smelling like a rose. There has just never been a better time to get your financial life in order as long as you have job assurance.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Oh no! Good pay, insurance, pensions, dental, extended health care benefits, out of work insurance, job security,... my god man! Unions will destroy us all!

Run... run for your lives!!! :roll:

All we deserve is what scraps our masters toss at us and a tar paper shack to raise more of our filthy kind in. Above that is asking too much.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Oh no! Good pay, insurance, pensions, dental, extended health care benefits, out of work insurance, job security,... my god man! Unions will destroy us all!

All we deserve is what scraps our masters toss at us and a tar paper shack to raise more of our filthy kind in. Above that is asking too much.

I'm with Scott Free on this one......I don't understand the current popular view against unions, especially at this time.

Guess what?

The rich are getting much richer. The super technos are doing quite well.

Everybody else is losing ground, and has been for decades.

This is the time to increase union membership to ensure the workers' get a fair slice of the pie.

that simple.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008

I am not sure I understand. Are you basically speaking to me here? I was not complaining in case you mis-understood me. I think that as a working person, I'm pretty well off with what I have and if it wasn't for the union, I might not have any work at all. Unions are not the be all end all but they do some really good things. I don't exactly earn a "living wage" if I was alone in life. However, little things like meds paid for can make a huge difference. If I were to quit tomorrow it wouldn't make that big a difference in my life but I can certainly see where my job can mean a lot to some people.
I actually thought from your first post and actually even you next one here, that you were making fun of our "masters" aka bosses. Was I right? Are you making fun of Unions or are you for them.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
IslandPacific, Scottfree (in his tounge in cheek manner) is agree'n with you. :lol::lol::lol:

Tounge in cheek, he's making fun of those that fear unions. :lol::lol::lol:

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Thanks Ron. I am not very familiar with him and so I was not really sure where he was going with his post.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
At one time, unions served a purpose, but that is no longer the case. There are laws to protect workers. It is time union workers (I am thinking of Chrysler right now) bite the bullet, take a cut in pay and benefits rather than being out in the street without a job.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
At one time, unions served a purpose, but that is no longer the case. There are laws to protect workers. It is time union workers (I am thinking of Chrysler right now) bite the bullet, take a cut in pay and benefits rather than being out in the street without a job.

Uh huh. The workers are soooo protected....

In New Brunswick, the minimum wage is $7.75 per hour.

In New Brunswick, your employer can require you to work up to 144 hours a week. I'm not kidding. The only time requirement is that the worker get one 24 hour period off per week. I know one situation were guys were forced to work 90 hours a week for months on end......

In New Brunswick, there is no such thing as required overtime pay if you make $12 per hour or more.

In New Brunswick, if you refuse to do a job because it is dangerous, your employer can ask someone else to do it.

And how much do execs at Chrysler make?????????

Unions need to make a come-back.
(All that said, I agree, yes the CAW needs to be more flexible)

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Oh no! Good pay

... Good pay by union standards?.. Perhaps you'll recall the effects that good pay had on CAI. In case you forgot, all that good/fair pay added-to the decision to allow Canada's second airline to close it's doors.

insurance

For what? Auto/home?

pensions

What's stopping the individual from socking-away $$ on their own?.. To my knowlege, there isn't a law that stops that from happening.

dental, extended health care benefits

... Where does it state that this is a requirement for the employer. Other than not wanting to part with their own actual cash, what's stopping any employee from buying their own? How about the actual union organizing this and covering it from union dues? (that's just asking too much, right?)

out of work insurance

Again, where's the union on this?... Where's the employee on this?... How does this qualify as an employer's responsibility?

job security

You're kidding right? Tell ya what, the minute that someone guarantees a company what the future economic conditions will be is the very moment that they will consider 'security'... 'Til then, the idea is nothing more than a utopian wet dream.

Run... run for your lives!!!

Apparently this exactly what Ford, Chrysler and GM are doing.

All we deserve is what scraps our masters toss at us and a tar paper shack to raise more of our filthy kind in. Above that is asking too much

Here's a thought. Why don't you become the 'master'?... You can put up all the cash. Hope that the econ conditions are favorable, hope that your union is effective and allows you to be competitive, and then you can disburse all of the profits at weekly picnics to the union.

It's really that easy. rent some space somewhere (it's optional to produce a good/service by the way) and the masses will flock to you and throw money around. You'll spend more time depositing the cash in the bank and hiding it under the shed in the back yard!.. just think, you can renovate all of the tar and paper shacks in the neighborhood!

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
don't understand the current popular view against unions, especially at this time.

My hubby works under the union. The problem some have with it is that in my hubbys case they have many inept workers who scream race whenever they get the chance. They do minimal sloppy work. This causes projects to be delayed to the point that the company no longer gets the great contracts. Without the great contracts, without the good reputation they don't make money. No money, no employment.

Unions are great for employees. Bad for business. Look at Chrysler. The employees are unwilling to make concetions to their wages and may end up taking Chrysler into bankruptcy and then they will have no jobs. Rather then taking the wage cuts for now with the hopes that Chrysler can pull out, the union and it's employees seems hell bent on protecting their wages at the expense of employment.
Chrysler is trying to work towards longevity. They've gone to Fiat for help building small economically fuel efficient but Fiat refuses to do business with them until they get their employees under control. Chrysler could well be gone.
Unions need to work with the company that's paying the wages. Not against.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Our local municipal union wants to have random drug testing and anybody caught, fired. The municipal government won't go for it.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Our local municipal union wants to have random drug testing and anybody caught, fired. The municipal government won't go for it.

Wow....that's pretty twisted. Is there some sort of back-story to this
(just a "yes" or "no"), or is it just fear of not being Union Friendly, or
fear of Law Suits, or fear on non-re-election, or just plain old fear of
change that might cause ripples in the pond? 8O

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I think they just don't want the extra cost.

There are a few employees that obviously have drug problems and the rest of the employees have safety concerns. I know one of them and I personally would never want to be around him while he was operating heavy equipment.

I posted that because some people don't have a good understanding of how unions work. It's not always black and white and unions don't necessarily protect bad employees.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I like how people blame bad employees on the union. Bad employees can be fired, that's just the way it is. They may scream race or gender, but do you think that doesn't happen in non-union workplaces?

I am honestly starting to think this economic panic is just giving execs a great excuse to grab an even bigger piece of the pie. They want regular workers to take less and less money. In the meantime, they're still flying on private jets to luxury retreats where their company will pick up their minibar and restaurant and spa tabs so they don't have to dip into their million dollar + yearly salary. Asking for full time workers to get sick pay? What gall!!! It might not leave enough money to give the execs their bonuses after they've managed the company into the ground:roll:

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
I think that'd you'd find more people sympathetic to your position if the unions didn't bend over backwards to defend those bad employees.

As far as the fantastic view that you harbour about execs... Most of them fly in 2 private jets; 1 for their luggage and 1 for them. Most (if not all) will smoke $50 cigars (despite not liking them) and light the smoke with a 50 dollar bill, just so that they can keep that money from the proletariat... I'm also pretty sure that they steal the children of the workers and keep them pulling coal-carts in closed mines to keep their parents underthe gun.

Sound about right?

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
People always talk about the young folk not wanting to work..

The baby boomers benefited from alot of things on their way to the top, then changed the rules to hold onto things once they got there. The younger generation isn't going to take a crap job with no future without a chance at moving up the ranks (much like the baby boomers did). But since baby boomers changed the rules and don't have to retire..I think you'll find fewer people willing to work for an old company with a big bottleneck.

They will increasingly go into business for themselves or head oversea. And if that isn't an option, and you are going to make no real money and have no future, may as well go on welfare and have free time at least.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I think that'd you'd find more people sympathetic to your position if the unions didn't bend over backwards to defend those bad employees.

As far as the fantastic view that you harbour about execs... Most of them fly in 2 private jets; 1 for their luggage and 1 for them. Most (if not all) will smoke $50 cigars (despite not liking them) and light the smoke with a 50 dollar bill, just so that they can keep that money from the proletariat... I'm also pretty sure that they steal the children of the workers and keep them pulling coal-carts in closed mines to keep their parents underthe gun.

Sound about right?

Only if given the chance.........

That is EXACTLY what they did do for the first hundred years of the Industrial revolution.

you know, before unions.

As for defending bad employees, yes they do.....in the same way that defence lawyers defend guilty clients.....they have a right to a defence......I've seen guys lose....and the Union execs actually pleased as hell about it. But they do their job.

Unions are something like democracy.....the worst possible system: except for all the others.