Interested in visiting North Korea?

Would you be interested in visiting North Korea?

• Yes.

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • No.

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Other answer.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
A friend of mine sent me an e-mail recently inviting me again to visit North Korea this summer. This is not the first time I'd been invited to go there. A few years ago, another friend had invited me to go on a first trip, but I'd refused since this was right after North Korea had announced that it had nuclear weapons, so I'd decided to play it safe and stay in China.

I'm surprised that this opportunity continues to present itself, and there has been such a trip every year since. I havn't gone yet myself, but am curious to know how many Canadians would be interested in such a trip.

Would you travel to North Korea if the price is right?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
But North Korea is not as open. Few companies even have the permission to organize tours of North Korea. And they're usually if not always based in China. This essentially means that you must go to China first to enter North Korea from there to the best of my knowledge anyway unless you're a diplomat going on government business.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
A friend of mine sent me an e-mail recently inviting me again to visit North Korea this summer. This is not the first time I'd been invited to go there. A few years ago, another friend had invited me to go on a first trip, but I'd refused since this was right after North Korea had announced that it had nuclear weapons, so I'd decided to play it safe and stay in China.

I'm surprised that this opportunity continues to present itself, and there has been such a trip every year since. I havn't gone yet myself, but am curious to know how many Canadians would be interested in such a trip.

I'd hold it up to a light just to make sure it didn't have a military watermark. Sign up see the world and all that old school stuff is past, welcome to the new USS Shanghaid, lol

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
As long as you can guarantee your safety then id go for it... Its a unique oppourtunity

then id do it for sure...

Reasons for tourism aside. If you went there and got familiar with the korean language and seen some sights in the North,it would make you stand out when we get drafted for world war 3. :)

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Take a camera and take lots of shots, that way you are worth more when you come back ........if you come back.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
When I was invited, I was told that it was a guided tour, with much emphasis on the guided part. Probably a good idea not to stray from the group.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
With that Thread title, I expected to come here and find Spam for some
Travel Agency. I'm very pleasantly surprised. :lol::lol::lol:

Machjo, is your Friend either in, or a frequent traveler to, North Korea?
If you're comfortable with going, this might be an experience of a life
time.

I know very little about the region, but I recommend that you not watch
"Team America World Police" to learn about the North Korean culture
in preparation for your trip. 8O

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
With that Thread title, I expected to come here and find Spam for some
Travel Agency. I'm very pleasantly surprised. :lol::lol::lol:

Machjo, is your Friend either in, or a frequent traveler to, North Korea?
If you're comfortable with going, this might be an experience of a life
time.

I know very little about the region, but I recommend that you not watch
"Team America World Police" to learn about the North Korean culture
in preparation for your trip. 8O

The first person to invite me a few years ago was Chinese. The more recent one represents a Polish company (Monda Turismo), though it also works in close collaboration with a local Chinese municipality on the North Korean border in Yanbian Autonomous Prefecture, Jilin Province.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
So is this a "Friend" inviting you or a "business associate" who's trying
to fill seats on a tour? Do you feel comfortable going? Researched the
current political situation with respect to foreign western tourists? Is there
a travel advisory issued by the Canadian Gov't regarding N. Korea? 8O

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
How hard is to add diplomatic immunity added to a passport, is it a yearly fee or 'pay as you commit' thing?

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon

No.
Not now, not ever.

More grey concrete Soviet inspired buildings row upon row.

Poor,hungry, frightened workers trudging about.
Culture,religion and the arts stifled.

If you have friends or family there I could see it.

But for me it ranks well up there as one of the least desirable places on the planet to visit.

Whats to see?
Apathy and crushed human spirits?

Asia and South Asia are woderful places to see.
You could spend a lifetime exploring places like China and India.

North Korea?
I'll pass.

Trex

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
So is this a "Friend" inviting you or a "business associate" who's trying
to fill seats on a tour? Do you feel comfortable going? Researched the
current political situation with respect to foreign western tourists? Is there
a travel advisory issued by the Canadian Gov't regarding N. Korea? 8O

No, he was just a friend, but a good friend, though I would have had to pay my own, especially sinse he was much poorer than me too. As it turns out, he has gone into the tourism business sinse, but not to North Korea. He takes Eastern European tour groups mostly through China, all over China.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Kim Jong il is a great leader and I highly recommend you visit the paradise also known as the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Durka, even if you're a communist, that regime is not there to help the poor as communists are supposed to.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

No.
Not now, not ever.

More grey concrete Soviet inspired buildings row upon row.

Poor,hungry, frightened workers trudging about.
Culture,religion and the arts stifled.

If you have friends or family there I could see it.

But for me it ranks well up there as one of the least desirable places on the planet to visit.

Whats to see?
Apathy and crushed human spirits?

Asia and South Asia are woderful places to see.
You could spend a lifetime exploring places like China and India.

North Korea?
I'll pass.

Trex

You don't want to see for yourself?

When I was in China, though what much in the Canadian media about it was true, much was also not even covered. Who's to say that there are other things we could learn about it that our media doesn't cover?

The human spirit is resilient, and though China had less freedom than Canada overall, I'd made some very good friends there. Not eveything revolves around government. What about just making friends with the locals, getting to know them? Trust me, no government can ever be in every living room all the time.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Durka, even if you're a communist, that regime is not there to help the poor as communists are supposed to.

How dare you question the motives of the "Dear Leader" ? He is generous and provides to all his children. Juche is a flawless system, to question it is a perilous endeavour.