Jamaica vs Canada

RanchHand

Electoral Member
Feb 22, 2009
USA
On the same day that Jamaican troops stormed a Canadian airliner and captured a hijacker and hauled him away the Canadian navy stormed a pirate boat and hauled away their guns but sent the men on their merry way to rob again some other day.
Surely most Canadians don't agree with this policy. Certainly it was better to shoot them in the head as the US had done. Will Canadians join me in a hoo rah for head shots to pirates?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Head shotting pirates who had thrown the majority of their weapons overboard? If they were directly threatening the lives of anyone I'm all for exterminating them... shooting unarmed people of any sort is wrong.

RanchHand

Electoral Member
Feb 22, 2009
USA
Head shotting pirates who had thrown the majority of their weapons overboard? If they were directly threatening the lives of anyone I'm all for exterminating them... shooting unarmed people of any sort is wrong.

That had nothing to do with the decision of the Canadians to turn them loose.

" Lt Cmdr. Alexandre Santos Fernandes, a spokesman for the NATO alliance, says the pirates were released because Canadian law did not allow their prosecution if they committed no crimes against Canadians or on Canadian soil."

You're laws have not kept up with the times. The US got rid of 4 pirates and once again puts it's ass on the line. Canada probably made new friends. Just another reason why some say Americans wear maple leafs on their backpacks.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008

" Lt Cmdr. Alexandre Santos Fernandes, a spokesman for the NATO alliance, says the pirates were released because Canadian law did not allow their prosecution if they committed no crimes against Canadians or on Canadian soil."

You're laws have not kept up with the times. The US got rid of 4 pirates and once again puts it's ass on the line. Canada probably made new friends. Just another reason why some say Americans wear maple leafs on their backpacks.
The US got rid of 4 pirates. Good for them. That is the reason why Americans do wear Maple Leafs on their backpacks. They don't want to be targets because of the shoot first, ask questions later mentality.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Whatever. Pirates are no different than terrorists. They keep people in fear while trying to gain something. If they are caught endangering someone's life while commiting a crime, they should definitely be shot at. Canada has some awfully stupid ruels. That's not saying the States don't either, however.
Ranchhand is trolling.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Those pesky laws and rules of conduct again. The three Pirates shot by US
Forces HAD been on a US ship and HAD taken a US citizen hostage.

I could be wrong as I haven't had the time to look into this latest Pirate adventure.
The Pirates tried to board a Greek ship but HADN'T made it aboard, and they
HADN'T taken anyone hostage as they where prevented from even boarding
the ship.

Two very different situations.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto

The pirates the Navy Seals killed were holding citizens of your country hostage, hence you having cause to take them out. I don't want our soldiers killing unarmed pirates nor do I want them brought back to Canada.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
The pirates the Navy Seals killed were holding citizens of your country hostage, hence you having cause to take them out. I don't want our soldiers killing unarmed pirates nor do I want them brought back to Canada.

I disagree.

There is no law at sea........

Shoot them. If they attempt to take a ship, if they fire on a ship, if you are sure they are pirates, fire on them with everything available, sink their vessels, and don't pick up survivors.

That's how it works in arnarchy........the guys with the most guns rule. So far that has been the pirates. Time to change that.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I disagree.

There is no law at sea........

Shoot them. If they attempt to take a ship, if they fire on a ship, if you are sure they are pirates, fire on them with everything available, sink their vessels, and don't pick up survivors.

That's how it works in arnarchy........the guys with the most guns rule. So far that has been the pirates. Time to change that.

Soldier have no rules of engagement at sea?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Soldier have no rules of engagement at sea?

Good point.....I don't know how that works.

I do know Canada does not arrest pirates because there is no law......and if brought to Canada they might claim refugee status:roll:.......according to a talking head on the CBC National News.

I'm still for shooting them in the act.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Good point.....I don't know how that works.

I do know Canada does not arrest pirates because there is no law......and if brought to Canada they might claim refugee status:roll:.......according to a talking head on the CBC National News.

I'm still for shooting them in the act.

I think the rules of engagement are generally written for when countries attack other countries opposed to pirates, I guess.

If the pirates are caught in the act and refuse to back down... then I'm all for 'off'ing' em.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
If you take away hope of survival from a criminal won't it just create a kill em all mentality? After all, the Somalian pirates haven't anything to go back to at home...starvation and death anyways. Just asking...not suggesting.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
If you take away hope of survival from a criminal won't it just create a kill em all mentality? After all, the Somalian pirates haven't anything to go back to at home...starvation and death anyways. Just asking...not suggesting.

Well, if they only have death and hunger awaiting them at home playing chicken with warships is probably a leisurely activity for them.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
lol I doubt it. Last I heard, pirates are raking in dough like crazy. They have to get boats n guns n stuff with something.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
On the same day that Jamaican troops stormed a Canadian airliner and captured a hijacker and hauled him away the Canadian navy stormed a pirate boat and hauled away their guns but sent the men on their merry way to rob again some other day.
Surely most Canadians don't agree with this policy. Certainly it was better to shoot them in the head as the US had done. Will Canadians join me in a hoo rah for head shots to pirates?

You're my best friend, every time you open your mouth Uncle Sam gets a swift kick in the nuts.

RanchHand

Electoral Member
Feb 22, 2009
USA
Most of the reactions here are that of the clique on this board where no matter how ridiculous some Canadian act is, you will come together and defend the defenseless. The Canadian action of letting these guys loose has been condemned everywhere. Even the comments on The Star Canadian newspaper are almost unanimous in expressing opposition to letting these guys loose. It's another undeniable example of the US doing heavy lifting and living with the consequences of doing the right thing and Canadians sitting back and remaining the good guy. At the very least the Canadians could have handed them over to another country for followup. Maybe Jamaica.

"The release of pirates by NATO forces sends the wrong signal and the alliance must discuss ways that they could be brought to justice, U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said on Monday.....If the Dutch navy had been operating under the EU (European Union), they could have turned over the pirates for trial."
Clinton sees NATO release of pirates sending wrong signal | World | Reuters

Last edited:

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Most of the reactions here are that of the clique on this board where no matter how ridiculous some Canadian act is, you will come together and defend the defenseless. The Canadian action of letting these guys loose has been condemned everywhere. Even the comments on The Star Canadian newspaper are almost unanimous in expressing opposition to letting these guys loose. It's another undeniable example of the US doing heavy lifting and living with the consequences of doing the right thing and Canadians sitting back and remaining the good guy. At the very least the Canadians could have handed them over to another country for followup. Maybe Jamaica.

TheStar.com | Canada | Canadians foil pirates in dramatic night chase

"Because of complex maritime laws – and the fact that no Canadians were involved in the pirate attack – sailors in the Canadian boarding party released the pirates after searching the skiff."

US vessels were also involved in the chase, why didn't your country take them captive? You have plenty places you could send them to, Gitmo etc.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital

Thanks for the input. I'll pass your concerns on to the appropriate department.

Have a nice day.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
TheStar.com | Canada | Canadians foil pirates in dramatic night chase

"Because of complex maritime laws – and the fact that no Canadians were involved in the pirate attack – sailors in the Canadian boarding party released the pirates after searching the skiff."

US vessels were also involved in the chase, why didn't your country take them captive? You have plenty places you could send them to, Gitmo etc.
We're a bit tired from that Turbot thing, too. I think it's their turn.