British Columbia Election May 12

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Are you going to vote? Which party do you feel is best to run the province for another four years? Are any of the party leaders worth their salt? What do you think?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
What do the polls say, JLM? Who is ahead?

You don't believe in polls do you?:lol::lol: The only one I heard (about the day the election was called) had the Liberals leading by 17 points. It's basically a two way race here- Liberals vs. N.D.P. but the Cons. and Green could both syphon off enough votes to put either party in serious peril.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Sure I believe in polls, JLM. If that poll is accurate and Liberals are indeed ahead by 17 points, then they are going to win as far as I am concerned, unless something drastic and unforeseen happens.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Sure I believe in polls, JLM. If that poll is accurate and Liberals are indeed ahead by 17 points, then they are going to win as far as I am concerned, unless something drastic and unforeseen happens.

Those in the know here are not quite as sure as you. They are LEANING toward a Liberal win, but also acknowledge that the gap will close considerably before election day. There are a lot of unhappy people in this province regarding the Liberal's performance over the past 8 years, but on the other hand, some don't find the N.D.P. leader very credible and some (myself included) still remember the N.D.P. fiasco of the '90s where people left the province in mass to look for jobs elsewhere. It will all be very interesting.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Sure the gap will close, JLM, it always does (the Obama McCain race also tightened to some extent in the final days). However, if that 17% lead is realistic, something of major proportions has to happen for NDP to win. Of course, anything can happen in an election, but I think the election is Liberals’ to lose.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Sure the gap will close, JLM, it always does (the Obama McCain race also tightened to some extent in the final days). However, if that 17% lead is realistic, something of major proportions has to happen for NDP to win. Of course, anything can happen in an election, but I think the election is Liberals’ to lose.

Yep, that is where I'd put my money.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The B.C. Liberals call themselves Liberals but what they are is a combination of Social Credit, Conservatives, Reform, and Alliance, in any order you like, that was put together to beat the NDP. The effect is that we don't have an opposition other than the NDP. Do we have the nerve to put the NDP back in again????? It is a problem.:roll::roll:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The B.C. Liberals call themselves Liberals but what they are is a combination of Social Credit, Conservatives, Reform, and Alliance, in any order you like, that was put together to beat the NDP. The effect is that we don't have an opposition other than the NDP. Do we have the nerve to put the NDP back in again????? It is a problem.:roll::roll:

yep- bigtime.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The Socred/BC Reform/Liberals will win by default as the lower mainland will put them back in. In a year or so when they realize the bill for Olympics comes home to roost, they will be kicking themselves. But then their is no competition from the NDPeep and the redneck factor will not let the Greens have a seat. I didfn't even know we had a conservative party. Rather redundant considering how conservative Campbell is.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The Socred/BC Reform/Liberals will win by default as the lower mainland will put them back in. In a year or so when they realize the bill for Olympics comes home to roost, they will be kicking themselves. But then their is no competition from the NDPeep and the redneck factor will not let the Greens have a seat. I didfn't even know we had a conservative party. Rather redundant considering how conservative Campbell is.

Yep, mainly right on Cliff, but maybe it's the best of all alternative evils. Greens are a one horse show and I don't think anyone is convinced they could even recognize money let alone know how to manage it. N.D.P. is also a party of very few issues, but the main problem with the N.D.P. is Carole James, in just five days of campaigning I've more than had my fill of that whining voice and she's not always right either. I don't like to see raw logs sold, but nor do I like to see piles of logs cold decked in the millyard in Grand Forks rotting because they can't be sold. She doesn't have much clue about environmental matters either- just parrots what the hysterics yap off to her.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
it is a problem when the electorate basically destroy's the opposition wth their vote, which in turn, creates a party that no one of consequence wants to run.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I am ready. I will vote for Greenies. This area will no doubt vote for the Naive Dense Pussies. Glibs will probably get back in with a Naive Dense Pussy opposition, which, IMO, is as far as the Dippers should ever get; and the province will be shafted 6 ways from Sunday again. (I really do hope we get STV sometime in my life).

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I wasn't going to bother voting but - I want the single transferable vote to pass this time for one thing. For another - the Green Party wants to oust the RCMP from this province as a part of their platform so I have to be sure mine is one vote they don't get any credit for.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I hate BC Liberals, the NDP I dislike, and the Greens are just too disorganized in the province. Tough to pick.
I agree with you. Libs are selling off the province a little at a time. Won't be long til hydro is gone and it's one of our most valuable assets. I cannot bring myself to vote NDP though and the Greens hardly exist and by reading all of their "ambitions" I somehow doubt they will get very far. People may vote Green simply because the other two parties make a person feel like they are damned if they do and damned if they don't vote. Voting Green says you at least voted even if it's for a "nothing" party.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I agree with you. Libs are selling off the province a little at a time. Won't be long til hydro is gone and it's one of our most valuable assets. I cannot bring myself to vote NDP though and the Greens hardly exist and by reading all of their "ambitions" I somehow doubt they will get very far. People may vote Green simply because the other two parties make a person feel like they are damned if they do and damned if they don't vote. Voting Green says you at least voted even if it's for a "nothing" party.

The Rhinocerus Party may be the best of the lot but I'm not sure if they are running candidates this election.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Haven't had one around here for at least a decade. I wouldn't mind the Pot Party if they'd decide to take stuff seriously sometimes. :D

Then you want the Libertarian Party (are they running in the election?). I assume they are in favour of legalizing all drugs, not just pot.