Good ol' Billy Bob

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I watched the 13 minute interview this morning. Wow...kind'a leaves
you speachless, eh? "Mashed potatoes without the gravey?" Right....

I'm hoping that Billy Bong Thornton isn't looking to sell out too many
venues in Canada after that interview.

It's already made it onto CNN so the American audience can also see
what kind of tool Mr. Thornton was...

Billy Bob Thornton makes waves during music interview - CNN.com

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I heard that interview live yesterday, while I was installing some light fixtures. It was hilarious.

Hi, I'm Billy Bob, and I'm feeling inferior because my band isn't much better than average, so I'm going to act like a jerk.

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
Good ol' Billy bob bad ass...At least he speaks his mind..I like poutine myself...I am sure he doesn't represent the majority of amercians...Like Ghomeshi and cbc doesn't represent all Canadians...Good publicity I suppose...No biggy

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Yeah, you could tell even his band members were embarrassed by the way Billy Boob was acting.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Ghomeshi is getting lots of exposure south of the border...gotta help his career.

It'll be interesting to see if it hurts Billy boy at all.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
You know what's hilarious? What kind of ****ty unheard of band gets to make demands when they get exposure of any kind whatsoever? He was just being a prick.

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
So yeah Billy Bob, lets put aside your fairly successful acting career and lets talk about your crappy musical career...haha. Does this dude know which side his bread is buttered on? (oops, ended a sentence with a proposition....sorry Miss Gumar)

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I thought the band sounded pretty good. Excellent example of fussion, with a lot of attention to the details. Mod-Billy I guess isn't everyone cup of tea? heh heh Or is that the slightest hint of fear?:lol::cool:

hermite

Not so newbie now
Nov 21, 2007
950 Snowupthearse Rd. Can
I heard the interview live. I was at my computer, reading some news feeds so not paying much attention to the radio when I picked up on the guy's voice. My first thought was that the guy sounded totally whacked out on something so I started listening. What a jerk. 8O And I thought Gian handled himself quite admirably. If I'd been the interviewer I'd probably have popped the guy a good one. :angryfire:

Then when Billy Bob said he wouldn't be playing as he couldn't bring his drums in, I thought well thank goodness for that. I thought the band was pretty good without him and I hope they will continue playing, without him.

What really amazed me was all the hoopla that followed. Talk about viral, this story has been picked up all around the world.

I heard a saying lately that I think applies here. The bigger the rear end, the bigger the front. (rephrased for language but you get the idea I hope.)

I am always amazed at the number of people who live on this planet yet seem to exist in a world entirely their own. :roll:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I think he's stoned, lol...nothing else could explain such a stupid act.

Nobodies that much an ftard

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
What I laughed about was him saying, "Would you ask Tom Petty that question?"...First off, yes, he would; second, you aint no Tom Petty.

I notice that Jian never mentioned his own semi-successful recording career and change of career, at least in the bits I heard.

The other funny part was in the next interview of someone else, where Jian said, "well, at least you'll answer questions..." and they both laughed.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
What I laughed about was him saying, "Would you ask Tom Petty that question?"...First off, yes, he would; second, you aint no Tom Petty.

I notice that Jian never mentioned his own semi-successful recording career and change of career, at least in the bits I heard.

The other funny part was in the next interview of someone else, where Jian said, "well, at least you'll answer questions..." and they both laughed.
Did you catch the looks on the faces of his band mates?

Even they were rolling their eyes and wincing when he was rambling on.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
The interview was six in the morning and as a normal band member they don't get to sleep till late so it is understandable that he was tired I think you would be the same.

In fact the two other band members were just about to fall out of their seats.

Billy just got a little irate never really lost it.

The host was told not to mention his acting career but he needed some rating and he went for it.

CBC needs the revenue and they are milking this as long as they can.

Last edited:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
The interview was six in the morning and as a normal band member they don't get to sleep till late so it is understandable that he was tired I think you would be the same.
Not really, I went to bed a 2 am, up at 5:30 am, and still able to accurately fist Liberals on a whim.
Funny how Liberal folk miss the obvious.

He was a tard.

The host was told not to mention his acting career but he needed some rating and he went for it.
Ya, and his openings differ so much from artist to artist, it must have been a set up...:roll:

Really, I only heard of it here.

hermite

Not so newbie now
Nov 21, 2007
950 Snowupthearse Rd. Can

Actually the interview was live, 10:30 a.m.

I didn't watch the vid but on radio BB didn't sound irate, he sounded like some Marlon Brando wannabe, all sulky and such. Instead he came off as a jerk, and not someone I would EVER pay to listen to.

I was wondering why it got so much attention world-wide. Speculation is the best we'll ever do with that, though.

Reactions: CDNBear

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I think he's stoned, lol...nothing else could explain such a stupid act.

Nobodies that much an ftard

He did look fried eh? :lol:

Here's the thing, he's a big Hollywood star, owns an Oscar for it too. He could spend a whole interview talking about being a movie star and also crossing over to make music of a very specific type. But he isn't there to talk about that. You can see that it isn't hard to connect Billy Bob Thornton the "Actor" to a band of otherwise unknowns.

To be able to carry any weight at all, the band would have to make or break on it's own merits. Not be the Billy Bob Thornton the Hollywood Actor Band. So he wants distance between the two.

Now if you asked me not to mention the elephant in the room with us and made that very clear to the producer of my show, then the first thing out of my mouth, which was probably the same thing out of everyone's mouth in every interview up to this one is, hey how about that acting career Mr. big shot Hollywood start, would it put you off?

I think it put him off the interview.

Not to mention, it's six in the morning and the guy works night.
Not to mention that the Mod genre is rather repeled by the idea of conformity and adherence to stereotypes. You know scooters and suits instead of motorcycles and leather jackets. Sophistication instead of in-formalization. Every bit as rebellious as Punk.

It's like asking Sid Vicious if he uses a modal approach to building arpeggios in transition from one key to the next and he says phuckoff. It's Punk, savvy?

So take Mod music, and combine that with the abrasive and honest construct of folk music from the Appalachia, but don't worry about the sound only, put every bit as much effort into being true to both genre. Where some artists play some classic songs, others live the life and write classic songs now that are every bit as relative to the times as they were then.

That whole attitude, which is being true to the genre of music he performs in, rebukes that which isn't true to the genre. It's not a song it's a way of life.

In context of that, the questions asked were posed by a simpleton. While it's nice to smile and be polite, you can get a lot more mileage from telling someone they are an idiot and clearly don't know what they are talking about. Look at the press all a titter.

As for Canadian audiences, it's true what he says for the most part. We have some of the best music in the world right here and we stand and stare, chewing our collective cud like so much beef simply not knowing any better.

Quietly sitting, waiting for the obvious end of a song to do our little part and clap politely. Any band will tell you that the audience makes a show. The more interested and involved in the show the better the show will be. At least with the booing at the show the other night, people looked a little animated. Granted you can't throw bottles and get into a few scuffles in a theater, but their are ways for people to show they are part of the spectacle rather than simply standing there staring at what ever passes by.

Mashed potatoes without gravy.

What's the Boxmasters about? You have to get beyond Billy Bob Thornton, Hollywood, Willy Nelson and name dropping long before you can begin to understand.

CBC seems to have this ability to ask stupid questions. Take George Stroumboulopoulos for example. He has some of the most interesting people on his show and rather than ask them the questions that those who know them well would like to ask, he goes for the light weight popular fluff that you can google if you have a long enough attention span. Sling blade mofo.