Woman calls 911 over lack of shrimp in fried rice

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Woman calls 911 over lack of shrimp in fried rice

HALTOM CITY, Texas – A woman called 911 to report she didn't get as much shrimp as she wanted in her fried rice at a Fort Worth-area restaurant. Police on Tuesday released the taped emergency call, in which the customer is heard telling the dispatcher, "to get a police officer up here, what has to happen?" The customer also said: "He didn't even put extra shrimp in there."
The upset customer was gone when an officer arrived Monday afternoon.
Restaurant workers said the woman had been denied a refund after leaving with her order, then returning to complain.
Cook June Lee said there was nothing wrong with the meal, and that "some customers are happy. Some are not."
___
Information from Fort Worth Star-Telegram & KDFW-TV:
Star-Telegram.com | News, Videos & Commentary about Fort Worth, Arlington, Dallas, Texas, Cowboys & more & myFOX DFW | KDFW FOX 4

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I've got a co-worker whose wife works as a 911 dispatcher. This is nothing unusual.

That is a job I would not want. Not due to clueless people like the woman in the OP, but to the actual calls where someone could be dying or dead.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
What an idiot. I hope they find her and give her a fine.:roll:
We once owned a restaurant on the west coast of Vanc.Is. Company we ordered our prawns from sent the wrong ones and they were a tad smaller than usual. We had a dish that had butterflied prawns in it. Since they were too small to butterfly, my son (the chef)went out and spoke to the woman who ordered the dish and explained to her that he could make the exact dish for her except the prawns would not be butterflied and to make up for this he would add a few extra. She agreed. We were short that night so I was in the dish pit. My husband and I owned the restaurant but I worked at the local bank and I'm sure everyone knows where my husband worked. Our sons ran the restaurant. She ate her dinner without complaint. Then the trouble began. The restaurant was full. I guess she thought we would not want a fuss in a full restaurant. She was wrong. One of the staff came to me and said the woman felt that she should get her meal for free since we could not serve it exactly as it was described on the menu. I had worked all day before the dish pit which is not fun. I walked out, soaking wet and in "dish pit" clothing. I asked her if the chef had explained to her how her meal would be served. She agreed that he had but still insisted that it was only good public relations for me to give her the meal free. I asked her if there was anything wrong with the taste. Again she agreed that the taste was good but she did not get what was described and again - the good will thing. I told her she owed her full bill and that I strongly suggested she pay it. She took one more stab. She wanted to call the police. Ha! I told her to go right ahead and call and told her to come on up and use the phone. She paid the bill and left. Never had trouble with anyone else that night at all.:smile:

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Good stuff, Island!:smile:

It is nice to see that ungrateful woman got served a slice of humble pie for dessert!:cool:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
My goodness how many of these stories have I seen lately? Too many to count. Do people honestly think that the job of police is to make sure they get their order from Dunkin' Donuts just right?

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I was at a disaster meeting some time ago and one of Alberta's top people in emergency preparedness said (I'm paraphrasing)...

"If the east side of Edmonton was hit with a nuclear missile this afternoon, the people on the west side of Edmonton would expect their garbage picked up next Tuesday

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. Call the police....But first wreck the place!! Skimping on the shrimp is grounds for all kinds of reprisals. I once got a "shrimp cocktail" with one and a half shrimp in it, the rest was celery slices and greens. I didn't wreck the place but I did complain. The owner explained that at the late hour, the cook was hesitant to open a new can of shrimp for just one shrimp cocktail because the left over shrimp would disappear before morning. He seemed to think it was a reasonable answer. ....:roll::smile:

I didn't accept nor pay for that shrimp cocktail but it did P--- me off.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. Call the police....But first wreck the place!! Skimping on the shrimp is grounds for all kinds of reprisals. I once got a "shrimp cocktail" with one and a half shrimp in it, the rest was celery slices and greens. I didn't wreck the place but I did complain. The owner explained that at the late hour, the cook was hesitant to open a new can of shrimp for just one shrimp cocktail because the left over shrimp would disappear before morning. He seemed to think it was a reasonable answer. ....:roll::smile:

I didn't accept nor pay for that shrimp cocktail but it did P--- me off.
I think you should have told him he could solve that problem simply by putting the whole can of shrimp in your shrimp cocktail!:lol: