Too Fat To Work - Need More Benefit Money

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
This story just blows me away...

Family who are 'too fat to work' say £22,000 worth of benefits is not enough - Telegraph

Philip Chawner, 53, and his 57-year-old wife Audrey weigh 24st. Their daughter Emma, 19, weighs 17st, while her older sister Samantha, 21, weighs 18st.

The family from Blackburn claim £22,508 a year in benefits, equivalent to the take-home pay from a £30,000 salary.

The Chawners, haven't worked in 11 years, claim their weight is a hereditary condition and the money they receive is insufficient to live on.

Mr Chawner said: "What we get barely covers the bills and puts food on the table. It's not our fault we can't work. We deserve more."

The family claim to spend £50 a week on food and consume 3,000 calories each a day. The recommended maximum intake is 2,000 for women and 2,500 for men.

"We have cereal for breakfast, bacon butties for lunch and microwave pies with mashed potato or chips for dinner," Mrs Chawner told Closer magazine.

"All that healthy food, like fruit and veg, is too expensive. We're fat because it's in our genes. Our whole family is overweight," she added.

Each week, Mr and Mrs Chawner, who have been married for 23 years, receive £177 in income support and incapacity benefit. Mrs Chawner is paid an extra £330-a-month disability allowance for epilepsy and asthma, both a result of being overweight.

Mr Chawner gets £71 a month after developing Type 2 diabetes because of his size. He was on a waiting list for a gastric band last year, but a heart condition made the operation unsuitable. Their daughter Samantha receives £84 in Jobseekers' Allowance each fortnight while Emma, who is training to be a hairdresser, gets £58 every two weeks under a hardship fund for low-income students.

Emma, said: "I'm a student and don't have time to exercise" she said "We all want to lose weight to stop the abuse we get in the street, but we don't know how."

I'd be pissed to know my taxes went to support people like this.

jenn

Electoral Member
Jan 13, 2008
does it make you feel any better knowing that your money is being used to support drunks, crack heads, *****s or anyone else to lazy to get off their asses and work?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
"I'm a student and don't have time to exercise" she said "We all want to lose weight to stop the abuse we get in the street, but we don't know how."
Eat less. It will take months to burn off 17 stone (converts to 107.95 kilograms or 259.49lb) probably as many months as a school year.
Or Instead of fossil fuels, we could have a ready supply of neo-fuels if got all the hefty unemployed on a tread mill that spins a dynamo.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Who knew "fat" would be the newest disability? too fat to work, that's so sad.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Hmmmmm 3,500 calories per pound of body fat, it takes 400cal to keep a body heated at 36.9C over 24hrs as an example of energy potential.

That gives us a whopping 5.25 MILLION calories (if she weighed 100lb after weight loss) to utilize for free and without any greenhouse gases from one of those kids. Not to mention the untold dollars she'd suck up in healthc care.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Family claims they are simply too fat to work
Some stuff is too wierd to make up, I kept looking for some clue that this was a satire but it's the real deal. BTW, the weights are in stone, which equals 14 pounds. So 10 stone = 140 pounds, and so forth. 1 British pound equals about $1.45 so that 22,000 pounds = $31900

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...-fat-work.html

If the link works, you can see the family

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Some stuff is too wierd to make up, I kept looking for some clue that this was a satire but it's the real deal. BTW, the weights are in stone, which equals 14 pounds. So 10 stone = 140 pounds, and so forth. 1 British pound equals about $1.45 so that 22,000 pounds = $31900

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...-fat-work.html

If the link works, you can see the family
I work with several cashiers who appear just as heavy and they stand on their feet for 8 hours a day and this family cannot work??????

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I work with several cashiers who appear just as heavy and they stand on their feet for 8 hours a day and this family cannot work??????
I'm having trouble with that too I.P. There are athletes, yes athletes just as portly playing in the CFL and NFL.

I don't believe in a "fat" gene or a thyroid issue. Capsicum will crank any thyroid up to speed in no time flat and if you are aware of a family history or obesity why the hell would you keep feeding your kids the same diet after the first sign of an issue?

There is no fat gene, no stupidity gene or a lazy gene. This is all in the noggin and preventable with cognitive behavior therapy.

These folks need what Fred Flinstone needed. Somebody following them around all day stealing their snacks. GOINK GOINK GOINK!!!

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
or a thyroid issue. Capsicum will crank any thyroid up to speed in no time flat
What do you mean you don't believe in a thyroid issue? What is Capsicum? I take thyroid meds daily - even more then my tests show I need and I still struggle hard to lose weight. Most people who eat what I eat in a day (and I don't deceive myself), would be as skinny as a rail yet I am still 35 pounds overweight. I started to gain weight as soon as I started taking synthroid (well, shortly thereafter).

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
or a thyroid issue. Capsicum will crank any thyroid up to speed in no time flat
Capiscum is the hot chemical in peppers and other veg. Your thyroid meds are more than likely a high priced chemical copy of capiscum which promotes the conversion of inactive thyroid hormone (T4) into active thyroid hormone (T3).

There are hundreds of natural ways to to bump the thyroid but the thyroid isn't always the factor leading to weight build up.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
It's certainly inherited, but it's called being lazy.

Note the quote: "It's not our fault..." Oh, the joys of victimhood. As I heard in a song once, are you a victim, or a volunteer? Eating 3000 calories a day, and then complaining because you're fat, well, that's called volunteering. But it's easier to claim that it's 'not your fault', and then blame somebody.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Some heart meds can make you retain water ... but that doesn't rub off on the wife and kids.... True enough, fruit and veggies are more expensive than candy bars and potato chips. McDonalds and Wendys aren't all that cheap either....

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Unless these people suffer from Prader-Willi syndrome, they're as some of you said, lazy and are running with the excuse they're victims...

JLM, that was hilarious!

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Capiscum is the hot chemical in peppers and other veg. Your thyroid meds are more than likely a high priced chemical copy of capiscum which promotes the conversion of inactive thyroid hormone (T4) into active thyroid hormone (T3).

There are hundreds of natural ways to to bump the thyroid but the thyroid isn't always the factor leading to weight build up.
Well, then I guess in a way - I have news for you. Capiscum doesn't do the trick. I eat 1/2 cup cereal for breakfast (with skim milk). For lunch, everyday, I have tossed salad with either a 1/2 cup of 1% cottage cheese or 1/2 can white tuna packed in water. My salad includes, carrots (small amt.) broccoli, cauliflower, cucumber, tomatoe (lettuce of course) and sometimes some mushrooms. I also have 1 piece of dry whole grain bread with it. My treat when I am finished my salad is - a small orange or yellow pepper. Synthroid basically treats T4 and not a lot of attention seems to be paid to T3. Most doctors only do a TSH test meaning only T4 is tested. I get a treat this time - my new doc. is testing both. Maybe one is more out of whack. We'll see.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Sounds like they are suffering from dropsy and heart fever, at the slightest effort they drop down on their ass and don't have the heart to get up.:lol::lol:
I agree with Twila here JLM - too funny!!

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
It's very simple. Pay them daily. Place their cheques in a post office 5 miles away and slowly cut them back til they can't afford bus passes.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Unless these people suffer from Prader-Willi syndrome, they're as some of you said, lazy and are running with the excuse they're victims...

JLM, that was hilarious!

Yeah, a guy I worked with years ago used to drop that zinger once in awhile when we got stuck working with a guy who was "unmotivated" as it would be called since Trudeau brought in the Constitution.