SURREY, B.C. - Police laid more charges Saturday in the execution of six men in an apartment in 2007, a horrific crime that awoke residents in the Vancouver area to the ugly reality of the brutal gang war that continues to be waged on their streets.

Two men - Cody Ray Haevischer and Matthew James Johnson, both 24 - were charged with first-degree murder and with being co-conspirators in the deaths of Edward Narong, 22, Corey Lal, 21, his 26-year-old brother Michael and 19-year-old Ryan Bartolomeo.

The pair also face first-degree murder charges for the deaths of innocent bystanders Chris Mohan, 22, and 55-year-old Edward Schellenberg, RCMP Assistant Commissioner Peter German told a news conference.

A third man, James Kyle Bacon, 23, was charged with first-degree murder in the death of Corey Lal and as a co-conspirator in the other killings.

German said the arrests will have a serious impact on the Red Scorpions, one of Metro Vancouver's most prolific gangs, and that more arrests will be made in connection with the massive case.

Saturday's announcement was the latest development in a huge break in the case that saw the men's alleged associate, Dennis Karbovanec, quietly plead guilty in B.C. Supreme Court on Friday to his part in the deaths of Mohan, Bartolomeo and Michael Lal.

Karbovanec, who was charged Wednesday, pleaded guilty to three counts of second-degree murder and conspiracy to commit first-degree murder. Police waited until Friday's court appearance before announcing that he was charged in the case.

Mohan was an innocent passerby who lived next door to the apartment where police said drug activity was going on. Schellenberg was in the building to service fireplaces on the day of the Oct. 19, 2007 shootings.

Police have said the other victims had ties to organized crime.

"This was a despicable act, which defies words," German said. "It was a gangland execution fuelled by drugs, guns and gangs."

German thanked the dead men's families, who sat on either side of him, for their support during the huge probe that required the help of Mounties from across Canada.

"We have had to prioritize other investigations in order to break the back of this file, which we always viewed as critical to the present gang landscape," he said.

"The cards are stacked against investigators and prosecutors when dealing with the tight world of gangs."

Eileen Mohan told the news conference her son would thank police for their hard work and support of the families who lost loved ones.

"I wish I was not standing here and my life was the usual life that I knew prior to Oct. 19, and my son would be beside me . But I know he's smiling from heaven today."

Mohan, who was in the courtroom Friday when Karbovanec pleaded guilty, said seeing her son's killer made her heart break into pieces.

"It was the feeling that this is the person who took my son's life and my son will never come back," she said. "Once the tears started falling and they called Chris's name I didn't even see (Karbovanec) leave. You go to a place where every mother goes who loses a child."

Mohan said her anger has motivated her to speak out for tougher laws against repeat offenders and the public's right to safety - especially in their own homes.

"What inspired me was that they took him right from our doorstep," she said of the son who was on his way to play basketball when he was killed.

There have been more than 100 shootings in the Metro Vancouver area since the killings in Surrey. Many have been linked to gangs, drugs or people known to police.

Since January, four dozen shootings have rocked Metro Vancouver and 18 people have been killed - some in public places.

Chief Supt. Fraser MacRae, in charge of the RCMP's Surrey detachment, said the massacre was "a horrific and dramatic demonstration of gang violence."

"This singular event, like no other, demonstrated the absolute wanton disregard that these criminals have for human life and the manner in which they conduct their business."