Mom and Pop's store make come back ?

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Will corner store and Mom and Pop stores make a come back as Big Box store shut down due to the economic crisis ?

Is it a prime time for these older style stores to make a come back in "Customer Service" ?

What do you think?

While we routinely mourn the disappearance of the small storefront, we rarely ask what happens to the texture of a city when a big-box store closes shop.

TheStar.com | Insight | What should we make of empty big-box stores?

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
great comment appears after your article:

''
They'll just have to start bringing money back into the country from their Swiss bank accounts. Non-profits are in trouble too, though I doubt they've parked any cash overseas. The major ones, as well as our hospitals, all parked their money in the stock market. Otherwise, you're right!

Submitted by truthplease at 9:15 PM Sunday, March 29 2009 ''

Precisely what I have been saying all along on this forum as well: with ''conservatives'' in charge, the wealthy elites shelter their monies overseas and never pay any taxes on them. Meanwhile, government cannot raise revenues to keep its operations going on and the economy suffers.

The thing to do is to reform tax laws so that everyone pays their fair share. End all welfare for the rich, and society will be better for it.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Will corner store and Mom and Pop stores make a come back as Big Box store shut down due to the economic crisis ?

Is it a prime time for these older style stores to make a come back in "Customer Service" ?

What do you think?

TheStar.com | Insight | What should we make of empty big-box stores?

In the smaller towns, probably, in the big cities probably not. I got to thinking just the other day that we don't have the news/smoke shops we did when I was a kid- I think we've lost something there. Great place to browse through the magazines and pocket books and you could buy things like wallets and key chains and decks of cards.

Reactions: gopher

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
''Great place to browse through the magazines and pocket books and you could buy things like wallets and key chains and decks of cards.''

Yeah!!

We also used to buy milkshakes or banana splits in those mom-and-pop shops in Brooklyn back in the old days.

That's something really wholesome that we can all use today.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
great comment appears after your article:

''
They'll just have to start bringing money back into the country from their Swiss bank accounts. Non-profits are in trouble too, though I doubt they've parked any cash overseas. The major ones, as well as our hospitals, all parked their money in the stock market. Otherwise, you're right!

Submitted by truthplease at 9:15 PM Sunday, March 29 2009 ''

Precisely what I have been saying all along on this forum as well: with ''conservatives'' in charge, the wealthy elites shelter their monies overseas and never pay any taxes on them. Meanwhile, government cannot raise revenues to keep its operations going on and the economy suffers.

The thing to do is to reform tax laws so that everyone pays their fair share. End all welfare for the rich, and society will be better for it.

gopher, many of them can shelter the money locally and still protect it from taxes.. Of course it is easier for those who can to put it offshore but not all want it there for ease of access. The many loopholes and tax shelters available under what ever disguised name is disgusting but required to keep the economy going.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Yeah!!

We also used to buy milkshakes or banana splits in those mom-and-pop shops in Brooklyn back in the old days.

That's something really wholesome that we can all use today.

Yeah and then there was the coffee counter in the drugstore and five & dime stores.

And that's what may come back in a smaller sense of a new generation. Kids that did not live in those days might just like that and revive what was once lost.. A new market for an old idea..

Not such a bad thing considering what kids have today.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
We need a return to the personal touch that those old shops used to give us.

Hopefully, we will have that again and soon!

It would be nice but I think we are too profit driven today, greed has ruined a lot of people - 50 years ago we were happy with a roof and three or four rooms and some basic comforts like indoor plumbing, today everyone wants a Taj Mahal. People don't even have time to sit at a stool and b.S. over a cup of coffee.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
''The many loopholes and tax shelters available under what ever disguised name is disgusting but required to keep the economy going. ''

I cannot speak for the Canadian system but as a former IRS agent and tax accountant, I can say with certainty that tax shelters do not work here nor have they ever worked.

Limited domestic tax sheltering can be used to promote growth. In fact, I worked on a case from Tennessee a long time ago which resulted in the creation of a large restaurant and put many people to work. This, in turn, resulted in large tax revenues for that community. Shelters of that nature can and do work.

But putting money in Swiss or Cayman accounts generate untaxed revenues and do not put people to work. Under Reagan/Bush the wealthy have sheltered TRILLIONS of dollars and not one domestic job was created as a consequence. Again, I cannot answer for Canada. But if you can show me how sheltering money for the wealthy benefits the avearge working man in Canada, I'll gladly believe it.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
''The many loopholes and tax shelters available under what ever disguised name is disgusting but required to keep the economy going. ''

I cannot speak for the Canadian system but as a former IRS agent and tax accountant, I can say with certainty that tax shelters do not work here nor have they ever worked.

Limited domestic tax sheltering can be used to promote growth. In fact, I worked on a case from Tennessee a long time ago which resulted in the creation of a large restaurant and put many people to work. This, in turn, resulted in large tax revenues for that community. Shelters of that nature can and do work.

But putting money in Swiss or Cayman accounts generate untaxed revenues and do not put people to work. Under Reagan/Bush the wealthy have sheltered TRILLIONS of dollars and not one domestic job was created as a consequence. Again, I cannot answer for Canada. But if you can show me how sheltering money for the wealthy benefits the avearge working man in Canada, I'll gladly believe it.

gopher, I am not talking in trillions as not many have that kind of money outside corporations..

I was more inline with individuals that have more of their fair share of wealth and way below the Buffets and Gates of the world.. More into the Millions that can shuffle and hide the few millions here and there.

Perhaps it is less possible in the US but from my understanding of you tax laws, you can write off your Houses and so many other expenses that we cannot in Canada that millions disappear quickly.

We may have medicare here but it is at a cost. You can write off medical care that can be a benefit to the rich.

Tax all the individual millionaires and you get a whole much more then a few corporations that will keep running to lobbyist to get their cash hidden. Or worse move their investment to another jurisdiction and lose all benefits the US enjoys..

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
People don't even have time to sit at a stool and b.S. over a cup of coffee.

JLM, perhaps it's time people take the time to have a cup of coffee again.. As stressful as my job is right now my boss encourages me to do so with co-workers every week.. It's kinda nice to get the break..

Chev

Electoral Member
Feb 10, 2009
Alberta
"Will corner store and Mom and Pop stores make a come back as Big Box store shut down due to the economic crisis ? Is it a prime time for these older style stores to make a come back in "Customer Service" ? What do you think?"
I don't think 'Mom and Pop' stores will make a come back. We had one in our neighbourhood for years and it was wonderful. Then the couple who owned and ran it decided to retire. They sold to someone who wanted it for their younger family members to run. The 'kids' lasted about a month. It was "too hard and took up too much time". I don't think there's a lot of younger people these days who have the get up and go necessary to operate a 'Mom and Pop - neighbourhood' type store.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
"Will corner store and Mom and Pop stores make a come back as Big Box store shut down due to the economic crisis ? Is it a prime time for these older style stores to make a come back in "Customer Service" ? What do you think?"
I don't think 'Mom and Pop' stores will make a come back. We had one in our neighbourhood for years and it was wonderful. Then the couple who owned and ran it decided to retire. They sold to someone who wanted it for their younger family members to run. The 'kids' lasted about a month. It was "too hard and took up too much time". I don't think there's a lot of younger people these days who have the get up and go necessary to operate a 'Mom and Pop - neighbourhood' type store.

Your mixing up the lack of business skill and market demand..

When you have a void, something will fill it. Mom and Pop stores and not only Coffee shops but simple small stores that cater to small shopping.. The little book store, the corner butcher and the bakery as well. I have seen these creep back in my BIG town area.. Amazing hey.. Look around..