Pope visits Africa, reaffirms ban on condoms

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
(CNN) -- Pope Benedict XVI refused Wednesday to soften the Vatican's ban on
condom use as he arrived in Africa for his first visit to the continent as pope.

He landed in Cameroon, the first stop on a trip that will also take him to Angola.

Sub-Saharan Africa has been hit harder by AIDS and HIV than any other region of
the world, according to the United Nations and World Health Organization. There
has been fierce debate between those who advocate the use of condoms to help
stop the spread of the epidemic and those who oppose it.

The pontiff reiterated the Vatican's policy on condom use as he flew from Rome to
Yaounde, the capital of Cameroon, CNN Vatican analyst John Allen said.

Pope Benedict has always made it clear he intends to uphold the traditional
Catholic teaching on artificial contraception -- a "clear moral prohibition" -- Allen
said. But his remarks Tuesday were among the first times he stated the policy
explicitly since he became pope nearly four years ago.

He has, however, assembled a panel of scientists and theologians to consider the
narrow question of whether to allow condoms for married couples, one of whom
has HIV, the virus that causes AIDS.

It is still not clear how the pope will rule on the matter, said Allen, who is also a
senior correspondent for the National Catholic Reporter.

The Catholic Church has long been on the front line of HIV care, he said, adding
that it is probably the largest private provider of HIV care in the world.

More than 22 million people in sub-Saharan Africa are infected with HIV, according
to a 2008 UNAIDS/WHO report. Nine out of 10 children with HIV in the world live in
the region, which has 11.4 million orphans because of AIDS, the report said, and
1.5 million people there died of the disease in 2007.

Source: Pope visits Africa, reaffirms ban on condoms - CNN.com

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia
tis about reducing the over population problem....much better they die of aids or starvation.......pity the efffffing popes dad wasnt wearing a condom!!!!!!!!

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I'll never understand why people expect the church to soften its view on condoms, etc.

The church dictates that you should have sex only with your spouse, and that you shouldn't use condoms. Simple, and it leads to a disease free life when the rules are followed.

Now, if someone has decided that they're going to have sex outside of marriage, then why on earth are they ignoring that part, and still following the condom rule? Even more of an oddity to me is why are they blaming the church?

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia
This Pope is stumbling from one outrageous blunder to another

Tags: RELIGION/ATHEISM
It's been quite a few months for the Pope.
First there was that rather embarrassing de-excommunication of a renegade bishop who claims that the Nazis didn't use gas chambers during the Second World War.
Then the Vatican supported the excommunication of a Brazilian mother and four doctors who had helped perform an abortion on a 9-year-old girl who was raped by her stepfather and would have died had she given birth to the twins growing inside her tiny uterus. (The stepfather, by the way, was not excommunicated for his sin of raping a 9-year-old. In the eyes of the Catholic Church, it seems, child rapists can still be part of the flock, mothers who wish to save their child's life are not.)

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
tis about reducing the over population problem....much better they die of aids or starvation.......pity the efffffing popes dad wasnt wearing a condom!!!!!!!!

tis stamped on the darned things "for the prevention of disease". Not a word of baby maybe..... The Church doesn't need to worry of tithe robbers.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
:cool: Hey!!! Pope can't condone rubbers. It's his job not to. God said so.

Now a real nasty bastard would say that not using condoms in Africa would eventually solve that continents' overpopulation problem. So, I won't say it.

But, popey knows that.

So, is the pope causing a genocide, based on religious principles.??

Is he actually performing a criminal act ??

Who gives a shyte??

Should start a pole. Or a Ukrainian, even.

Could start one if I didn't use a condom.

And had a Ukrainian girl friend. Or a polish one for that matter.

Anyone here ever started a pole??

:confused3:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
The catholic church is much more interested in gaining new catholics than saving
the lives of thousands and thousands. It is cruel and unacceptable in my opinion.
There are so many children without mothers and fathers because they have died
from aids. I don't see the catholic church doing anything constructive to help
with that problem, I see them as feeding the problem, through guilt teachings,
and making people afraid to protect themselves. They don't have to be non flexible, the world has changed over the
years and intelligent corporations, (which is what the catholic church should be), should
change as well. They encourage, through guilt teachings that the people should
become christians/catholics so they can 'go to heaven when they die, they they do
nothing to help their health, and they die sooner than later, in my opinion they
are disgusting in their behavior, and stand up on their pulpits and preach like
hyprocrits.
I was born into a catholic faith, and I am ashamed of that fact. I have disconnected myself from
them long ago, and will not be seen connected to such hypocracy.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
According to the National Catholic Reporter, the Catholic Church has spent 2.6 billion dollars in clergy sexual-abuse settlements in the United States alone. And, according to the same periodical, 97% ± 3% of American Catholic women of child-bearing age have or currently are using artificial birth control. So, Catholic women in the USA are following their own consciences and not the suggestions of a celibate clergy which do not have a stellar record in matters sexual. By the way, the Church accepts married-couple decisions of conscience to use or not use artificial birth control in North America.

What is unfortunate is that the Pope, who is an arch conservative as was his predecessor JP II, made a false statement on the efficacy of condoms to prevent HIV infection in heterosexual liaisons. This statement made on the eve of his African visit may cloud the issue and lead to more disease in an region where theological nuance may not be considered by the devout who wish to follow the advice of a "holy man"!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

YouTube - Elton John-Benny & the Jets

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Hey kids, plug into the faithless
Maybe they're blinded
But Bennie makes them ageless
We shall survive, let us take ourselves along
Where we fight our parents out in the streets
To find who's right and who's wrong​

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
The Pope is infallible. How dare anyone question his divinely inspired proclamations?

You can learn more here:

Birth Control

I learned from this website that if God commands you to sleep with your dead brother's wife you better not pull out!