Should Liquor Firms be Sued over FAS?

Spade
A CBC News Item
Quote:
"A pediatrician in northern British Columbia wants liquor and beer makers to help pay for the damage caused when pregnant women drink.

Fetal alcohol spectrum disorder, or FASD, refers to a range of disabilities that are seen in people whose mothers drank alcohol while they were pregnant.

'Somebody has to draw a line in the sand and say this is such a health problem, we have to stop it.'
Dr. Marie Hay
Dr. Marie Hay of Prince George has diagnosed thousands of children harmed by fetal alcohol consumption.

Hay's patient files document thousands of children hurt by exposure to alcohol. She said many now face:

Anxiety.
Depression.
Autism.
Schizophrenia.
Mental retardation.
Learning disabilities.
Conduct disorders.
Trouble with the law.
Attempted suicides.
The only way to stem the tide of damage is to stem the flow of alcohol by going after alcohol companies, Hay believes."

Is it time?

petros
Booze kills, cause more physiological, sociological and psychological grief than any other substance known to man.

Why is legal and socially acceptable?

Twila
Lets just bubble wrap everyone and everything and be done with it.

Sheesh, maybe one day we'll be allowed to be adults?

TenPenny
If anyone should be sued, it would be the mother. She's the one who took the actions resulting in the 'harm'.

shadowshiv
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

Lets just bubble wrap everyone and everything and be done with it.

Sheesh, maybe one day we'll be allowed to be adults?

No, because that would put the onus on the individual, and we can't have that, now can we?

I will second Twila's "sheesh".

L Gilbert
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

If anyone should be sued, it would be the mother. She's the one who took the actions resulting in the 'harm'.

Dead on, TP. It's not like anyone that can read, hear, etc. doesn't know that drinking while pregnant is stupid.
And I'll add my own "sheeeesh".

Twila
Quote:

No, because that would put the onus on the individual, and we can't have that, now can we?

well if that's the case then I want one of these then

and I'll need to know who I can sue for all the scrapes and bumps and bruises I've been forced to sustain since birth..

mit
Maybe they should start putting pictures of bloated livers and spouses with blackened eyes (M&F) on the liquor and beer bottles - add a few crippled and maimed teenagers and a few coffins to warn people of the hazards of drinking. Might as well add a picture of Sir John A MacDonald - fear of being a politician may just cure folks of the evil curse of booze. Nobody smokes anymore do they?

VanIsle
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Booze kills, cause more physiological, sociological and psychological grief than any other substance known to man.

Why is legal and socially acceptable?

Sorry Iggy but I have to view this a little differently. Booze kills and so do cigarettes and ------ so can over-eating. Just watch the Biggest Loser and listen to the very over weight people talking and nearly everyone of them are there (men especially) because a close family member died young and very over-weight. Obesity creates couch potatoes and vice versa. Eating is very socially acceptable.

VanIsle
Quote: Originally Posted by mitView Post

Maybe they should start putting pictures of bloated livers and spouses with blackened eyes (M&F) on the liquor and beer bottles - add a few crippled and maimed teenagers and a few coffins to warn people of the hazards of drinking. Might as well add a picture of Sir John A MacDonald - fear of being a politician may just cure folks of the evil curse of booze. Nobody smokes anymore do they?

At the time we owned our second restaurant, we were required by law to post signs stating that pregnant women should not drink alcohol. Signs were supplied by the Liquor Control Board. I assume they are still supplying them.

mit
Island pacific - My point is that you can have all the signs you want but short of making it illegal people will be responsible or irresponsible with their decisions

VanIsle

Island pacific - My point is that you can have all the signs you want but short of making it illegal people will be responsible or irresponsible with their decisions

mit, I can't agree with you either. People will just make their own and how will you stop that? The same thing happened during prohibition. People always find a way. Like the rest on here say - there is a time when people must accept responsibility for themselves. We have all known for a very long time that alcohol is dangerous to a fetus. We've also known that about cigarettes. It's up to us to say no. I don't even understand why people think it is up to government to "save us" from ourselves. I have about 40 pounds I need to shed. I am expected to look after that myself. Should the food in my house be under lock and key so I won't eat? Sometimes I look at the dog and actually think that maybe it would be better if someone just fed me once a day too!!!

mit
IslandPacific - Last weeks biggest loser show demonstrated our human faults - The black team wins 24 hours of luxury and they start right in to the fried chicken and tequila shots - when the person that is trying to help them spins out on them 2 of the black team go running for soft shoulder Bob - Then in a twist of luck or fate the Black team ends up winning anyways - If life was fair I'd be rich instead of so damn good looking (and modest too!) Hee Hee!

mit
IP - I lost 40 lbs on the 6 to 9 diet - I had a coffee in the morning - nothing to eat until I got home from work - ate supper - couple hours on the net - a bit of a snack then to bed at 9. Ate normal on the weekend. Funny thing is that I didn't know I was on a diet - It just sort of happenned.

Twila
[quote]The black team wins 24 hours of luxury and they start right in to the fried chicken and tequila shots [/quote

The irony~!

Spade
There are not enough public-service "moments" on the media outlining the devastating effects on the foetus if a mother drinks while pregnant. Those "ads" should be funded by the alcohol industry!

Cliffy
I can see a day when Monsanto will have to pay for public service ads warning of the dangers of GM foods.

CanadianLove
Death and Bucchus, the god of alcohol.
Attached Images
death&bacchus.jpg (31.4 KB, 3 views)

CanadianLove
Quote: Originally Posted by IslandpacificView Post

At the time we owned our second restaurant, we were required by law to post signs stating that pregnant women should not drink alcohol. Signs were supplied by the Liquor Control Board. I assume they are still supplying them.

A bar in Toronto just went through a fight with a guy who smoked medical marijuana. Now they have to post signs stating that they can not knowingly serve people under the influence of a controlled substance.

TheStar.com | GTA | Marijuana or booze? Restaurant must decide

VanIsle

IP - I lost 40 lbs on the 6 to 9 diet - I had a coffee in the morning - nothing to eat until I got home from work - ate supper - couple hours on the net - a bit of a snack then to bed at 9. Ate normal on the weekend. Funny thing is that I didn't know I was on a diet - It just sort of happenned.

mit - I wish! Actually, while it got sabotaged yesterday, I have just (today now instead of yesterday since my son did not know and arrived at dinnertime with butter chicken and rice pilaf) joined the on line Biggest Loser club. It's not expensive, only about $20.00/month. I cannot get on the whole program yet for exercise as my wrists are in tough shape but when they are strong enough, I can do more and will do more. Even eating the right foods is a good start. Apparently there are a lot of people in offices etc. that are running their own Biggest Loser program in competition with each other. I was going to try that on here but maybe I'm the only one who needs it. Not knowing the answer to that I joined the club and I hope I can make it work. I don't like being overweight.

VanIsle

IslandPacific - Last weeks biggest loser show demonstrated our human faults - The black team wins 24 hours of luxury and they start right in to the fried chicken and tequila shots - when the person that is trying to help them spins out on them 2 of the black team go running for soft shoulder Bob - Then in a twist of luck or fate the Black team ends up winning anyways - If life was fair I'd be rich instead of so damn good looking (and modest too!) Hee Hee!

Yes - I watched that. I could not believe they would cheat like they did. They were hogs with the food. If I was on the diet for as much as even a week I would not have fallen off like they did. I was shocked!

MissAnnika
Anxiety.
Depression.
Autism.
Schizophrenia.
Mental retardation.
Learning disabilities.
Conduct disorders.
Trouble with the law.
Attempted suicides.

These have been known facts for some time now haven't they? I've known this since I was in sixth grade. If someone drinks too much or everyday then of course those things are going to happen. They have a fair warning, not only are they told these things throughout their life, but it is also labeled on each bottle about the possible side effects and fetal alcohol syndrome, and they STILL drink after all that. Does responsibility for one's self mean nothing?

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post

A CBC News Item
Quote:
"A pediatrician in northern British Columbia wants liquor and beer makers to help pay for the damage caused when pregnant women drink.

Fetal alcohol spectrum disorder, or FASD, refers to a range of disabilities that are seen in people whose mothers drank alcohol while they were pregnant.

'Somebody has to draw a line in the sand and say this is such a health problem, we have to stop it.'
Dr. Marie Hay
Dr. Marie Hay of Prince George has diagnosed thousands of children harmed by fetal alcohol consumption.

Hay's patient files document thousands of children hurt by exposure to alcohol. She said many now face:

Anxiety.
Depression.
Autism.
Schizophrenia.
Mental retardation.
Learning disabilities.
Conduct disorders.
Trouble with the law.
Attempted suicides.
The only way to stem the tide of damage is to stem the flow of alcohol by going after alcohol companies, Hay believes."

Is it time?

That's the biggest joke I've read today. If a women doesn't have enough brains not to drink during pregnancy, is she fit to be raising children anyway?

JLM

Isn't breakfast the most important meal of the day?

CanadianLove
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Isn't breakfast the most important meal of the day?

They say it is but it is easier to get your mind off hunger by doing work then it is by trying to amuse yourself at home during the night.

I am curious how they felt this diet affected their mentel state though. Kids who skip breakfast are said to poorer memory and concentration skills.

Niflmir
The problem is that the tobacco industry setup a bad legal precedent. They were worried that if people found out that smoking was unhealthy, people would stop smoking. So they tried hard to cover up all evidence, which ultimately led to them being held liable for the damages. The legal precedence allowed other people to easily sue in common law courts.

I do not believe anyone has tried to cover up fetal alcohol syndrome.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by CanadianLoveView Post

They say it is but it is easier to get your mind off hunger by doing work then it is by trying to amuse yourself at home during the night.

I am curious how they felt this diet affected their mentel state though. Kids who skip breakfast are said to poorer memory and concentration skills.

I doubt if anyone is going to come up with anything new that beats the old tradition of three balanced meals a day and lots of exercise (works for me). I think ALL the food groups are necessary, although I believe in going a little heavier on vegetables and grains and a little lighter on dairy and red meat. BUT some read meat is very important to get vitamin B 12 and with dairy it's better to go for the skim milk variety where ever possible. Eggs (one or two a day) are also very healthy. A little flax seed on the cereal is good too as are peanuts and pop corn.

Twila
Quote:

That's the biggest joke I've read today. If a women doesn't have enough brains not to drink during pregnancy, is she fit to be raising children anyway?

Just to take this one step further (I totally agree with what you've posted here, btw) but if people are unable to learn (and the information if out there EVERYWHERE) about what they should and shouldn't do, then maybe nature should take its course.

What's that song with the line "Only stupid people are breeding?" I shudder to think of what the world is going to be like if we allow people to avoid taking responsibility for their own safety and wellness.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

Just to take this one step further (I totally agree with what you've posted here, btw) but if people are unable to learn (and the information if out there EVERYWHERE) about what they should and shouldn't do, then maybe nature should take its course.

What's that song with the line "Only stupid people are breeding?" I shudder to think of what the world is going to be like if we allow people to avoid taking responsibility for their own safety and wellness.

Amen