Study Hard and You, Too, Can Deliver Pizza

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
What's more important. Money or job satisfaction?

I'm a 43-year-old mother of three young kids with a Master of Science degree. I also deliver pizzas for a living. I started doing it after staying home with my children for four years. Caring for your kids all day is a fantastic opportunity for many women, but it wasn't right for me. I began suffering from depression and decided to get a job so I'd have more of my own identity. Now I work nights when my husband is home so we don't have to depend on child care.

After I learned the basics of pizza delivery--like getting the orders together and not getting lost--I began to fine-tune my new "career." Being competitive and organized by nature, I studied the tipping patterns and demographics of the town.

Our community had a small, expensive liberal-arts college full of students who ordered lots of pizzas. Most of the kids were friendly and polite. On Friday and Saturday nights, some of the dorms had huge parties. Though the stairs were sticky from beer and the music was so loud they couldn't hear me knock on the door, the crowds of happy students shouting, "Pizza! Pizza!" always let me through.

A few of the quieter dorms were full of more studious students who seemed to look down on me, perhaps because they were on their way to more professional employment. I always felt like telling them that they should stay in school and get their master's degrees, and maybe one day they would have the wonderful experience of delivering pizzas.

The first few days of each month, one of us drivers would take our turn covering the public-housing developments. These customers did not always tip well, but I always liked seeing the children and adults sitting outside and enjoying the evenings when the weather was nice. The higher-income neighborhoods were much quieter, and I rarely saw neighbors talking to each other.

The delivery area was quite large, but in a country town like that one you could drive 10 or 15 miles and hit only one stoplight, so a quick driver could cover more than 100 miles and 20 deliveries a night. I learned to love the solitude, listening to music, looking up at the stars and thinking about life.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
but in a country town like that one you could drive 10 or 15 miles and hit only one stoplight, so a quick driver could cover more than 100 miles and 20 deliveries a night.
How heartbreaking. I fly 1800km round trip to get to work. Where is my string quartet? If you are going to move away from the jobs to a small town, have a litter of kids, refuse childcare you can expect to be delivering pizza by night since most labs are closed afer 5PM. What a load of crap.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Personally I'd love to board up the house in the city and move to my cottage at the lake but one of us would have to quit working.

It's not such a hard luck story if they chose that lifestyle. It doesn't sound like they have money issues, just that she got bored living in the middle of no-where.

She should try getting some friends to break up the monotony.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Personally I'd love to board up the house in the city and move to my cottage at the lake but one of us would have to quit working.

It's not such a hard luck story if they chose that lifestyle. It doesn't sound like they have money issues, just that she got bored living in the middle of no-where.

She should try getting some friends to break up the monotony.

Maybe you should go back and read it again. Where do you read hard luck story? Sounds like the job is more a fun thing to combat depression.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Ash that roach before you burn you fingers. What does the title say?

or

Study Hard and You, Too, Can Deliver Pizza as well as work days with an MSc?

Ever considered ESL?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I think some of you people need to learn to read.

I don't see where she's complaining; it sounds to me like she's quite happy doing what she's doing. I don't see any complaints, simply some interesting observations on life.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Ash that roach before you burn you fingers. What does the title say?

or

Study Hard and You, Too, Can Deliver Pizza as well as work days with an MSc?

Ever considered ESL?

Ever considered how not to take banners quite so literally? Seriously, if you read more than headlines, you'll learn what a story's about.

And just FYI ... there are NO roaches around here. Bongs leave no waste....

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
You should be able to rely on the title of the article to set the tone of the article.

From the title she's chosen it sounds like she's saying "Study Hard and You, Too, Can Deliver Pizza" If this is not what she's saying then she should have chosen a different title.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
You should be able to rely on the title of the article to set the tone of the article.
You can't even rely on posters being able to read the articles they're linking to. People claiming that there's some legislation to make it illegal to grow your own food, for example.

Reading comprehension is not ranking very high on here these days.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I think some of you people need to learn to read.

I don't see where she's complaining; it sounds to me like she's quite happy doing what she's doing. I don't see any complaints, simply some interesting observations on life.

Plus the fact the title of the thread could have been made by the creator of the thread rather than the woman in the article.

I also didn't see her complain anywhere in the article.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Maybe you should go back and read it again. Where do you read hard luck story? Sounds like the job is more a fun thing to combat depression.
That's what I gathered from the story, too. I didn't read any whining, and having to make a tough choice.
You adapt to the changes in life.
Yes, reading comprehension is lacking sometimes:
the title of the thread could have been made by the creator of the thread rather than the woman in the article

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
You can't even rely on posters being able to read the articles they're linking to. People claiming that there's some legislation to make it illegal to grow your own food, for example.

Reading comprehension is not ranking very high on here these days.

hmm, I assumed the title of the article was given by the writer of the article.