Obama's new strategy: Blaming Bush for 'mess'

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
Things going to hell in a hurray. Blame your predecessor

President sheds former reluctance to fault predecessor for state of economy

By Scott Wilson

In his inaugural address, President Obama proclaimed "an end to the petty grievances and false promises, the recriminations and worn-out dogmas that for far too long have strangled our politics."

It hasn't taken long for the recriminations to return — or for the Obama administration to begin talking about the unwelcome "inheritance" of its predecessor.

Over the past month, Obama has reminded the public at every turn that he is facing problems "inherited" from the Bush administration, using increasingly bracing language to describe the challenges his administration is up against. The "deepening economic crisis" that the president described six days after taking office became "a big mess" in remarks this month to graduating police cadets in Columbus, Ohio.

"By any measure," he said during a March 4 event calling for government-contracting reform, "my administration has inherited a fiscal disaster."

Obama's more frequent and acid reminders that former president George W. Bush left behind a trillion-dollar budget deficit, a 14-month recession and a broken financial system have come at the same time Republicans have ramped up criticism that the current president's policies are compounding the nation's economic problems.

Obama had initially been content to leave partisan defense strategy to his proxies, but as the fiscal picture has continued to darken, he has appeared more willing to risk his image as a politician who is above petty partisanship to personally remind the public of Bush's legacy.

His approval ratings remain strong — above 60 percent, according to the most recent Gallup poll — but have dropped from their highs almost entirely because of falling support among Republicans since he took office.

Special risks

Upon entering the White House in 2001, Bush pinned the lackluster economy on his predecessor, using the "Clinton recession" to successfully argue in favor of tax cuts that won some Democratic support. But for Obama, who built his candidacy on a promise to rise above Washington's divisive partisan traditions — winning over many independent voters and moderate Republicans in the process — blaming his predecessor holds special risks.

He will need support beyond his Democratic base as he begins lobbying for his $3.6 trillion budget, which proposes sweeping changes in health care, the energy sector and the public education system. The president did not receive a single House Republican vote for his stimulus plan, prompting some in his administration to view his bipartisan outreach efforts as having little hope of success.

And Republicans have seemed only more emboldened in their rhetoric. Sen. John McCain (Ariz.), for example, recently called the borrowing needed to fund the president's economic recovery plans "generational theft."

"What the administration is involved in now is the politics of attribution," said Lawrence R. Jacobs, a political scientist at the University of Minnesota. "Each week that goes by with falling job numbers and Republican criticism of the administration's flaws means falling approval ratings. What's the antidote? That the guilty party is George Bush."

"The trick," Jacobs said, "is how do you shift blame to George Bush and retain any credibility on the idea that you are looking past partisan warfare? This looks like a doubling down on a very partisan approach."

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
What nonsense. Obama should have stepped right up and took the blame for the Iraq war and all the debt Bush piled up and all the enemies and potential terrorists that Bush cultivated over his eight years in office. ;-)

I see nothing wrong with Obama telling the truth. If Bush doesn't like it, he should come back and tell us exactly what happened, under oath.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
What nonsense. Obama should have stepped right up and took the blame for the Iraq war and all the debt Bush piled up and all the enemies and potential terrorists that Bush cultivated over his eight years in office. ;-)

I see nothing wrong with Obama telling the truth. If Bush doesn't like it, he should come back and tell us exactly what happened, under oath.

If Bush doesn't like it, he should come back and tell us exactly what happened, under oath

Like that's gonna happen. He's afraid to go out in public. His first speaking engagement post-presidential horror show was in.....

Calgary

A4NoOb

Nominee Member
Feb 27, 2009
Why don't we bring a parallel with Carter's significant recession inherited by Reagan? In fact, if we are going to relate this to the past, then Reagan's situation was even worse than Obama's because he had to negotiate with a Democrat Congress. Obama has a Democrat Congress, and Senate and he's crying foul? What more does he want?

He was elected as the President of the United States and he's going to waste his time finger pointing to the Bush administration? These are obviously signs of a leader -__-. My issue is for Obama to walk the walk instead of talking out of his ass. As we've seen from Reagan, he inherited the full mount of Carter's recession on his shoulders and instead of babbling about who's to blame, he put his policies into action. What was the result of his action? America pulling out from a recession and even more, coming out as the world's super power. Instead, we have Obama hiding beautifully behind the ineptitudes of the Bush Administration and pretending he will get away with no consequence if his policies fail.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I don't think any of the previous posters want to hear that A4

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Blame every President and Congress since Johnson for allowing no-recourse mortgages and tax deductible primary residences. A place of residence is not a speculative investment. It's a home.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
Why don't we bring a parallel with Carter's significant recession inherited by Reagan? In fact, if we are going to relate this to the past, then Reagan's situation was even worse than Obama's because he had to negotiate with a Democrat Congress. Obama has a Democrat Congress, and Senate and he's crying foul? What more does he want?

He was elected as the President of the United States and he's going to waste his time finger pointing to the Bush administration? These are obviously signs of a leader -__-. My issue is for Obama to walk the walk instead of talking out of his ass. As we've seen from Reagan, he inherited the full mount of Carter's recession on his shoulders and instead of babbling about who's to blame, he put his policies into action. What was the result of his action? America pulling out from a recession and even more, coming out as the world's super power. Instead, we have Obama hiding beautifully behind the ineptitudes of the Bush Administration and pretending he will get away with no consequence if his policies fail.

Why don't we bring a parallel with Carter's significant recession inherited by Reagan?

Or possibly the massive debt from Dada Bush handed to Clinton to clean up - which he did only the had Dubya's watch see the biggest economic diaster in 70 yrs

The paralells are "eerie". Republican President - massive debt. Democratic President budget syrplus.

but....

Even Obama doesn't walk on water and he will not be able to clean up the mess left be Georgie

A4NoOb

Nominee Member
Feb 27, 2009
Haha you DO know that "Dada Bush" called Reagan's economics "voodoo"? You DO know that it was the Democrats in Congress who supported Bush Sr. budget (which started the recession). When it comes to quoting Bush Sr. I will support you all the way, because he was a complete idiot for contracting with the Democrats to demolish America's economy.

Even Obama doesn't walk on water and he will not be able to clean up the mess left be Georgie

I guess you're right, the only person able to do that would be another Reagan :/

Albertabound

Electoral Member
Sep 2, 2006
Bush....Obama.....it really doesn't matter who is in power...because neither of them really make the decisions.

The Obama Deception

I've said it before and I'll say it again .....bankers (the money changers, money masters) make all the desicions in the world and they make at will recession, depression, inflation....you name it they make happen.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Blame every President and Congress since Johnson for allowing no-recourse mortgages and tax deductible primary residences. A place of residence is not a speculative investment. It's a home.

Exactly.

Bush is certainly guilty of tax cuts for thev rich while going on a lunatic spending spree.......especially in Iraq. And that is a bigee!!!!!!!

But the financial system was deregulated under........Bill Clinton.

And the 2003 Bill to bring some discipline back to the insanity (defeated in Congress by mostly Dems) was co-sponsored by......John McCain.

And the house of cards that was the stock market simply could not go on getting higher forever.....

Lots of blame to pass around.....

Although Bush bears much.....